Maryville High School Hitting Facility

dheat

Yea well I guess I hit a nerve. "Shut-Up" is not really a term I am known for. Won't find too many bigger supporters than I around MHS. During last years "Boosters" $100.00 a person golf outing that I played in there was mention by many other participants, the state of baseball in Maryville. From the youth leagues to of course the High School team.

I am sorry if you wear your emotions on your cuff and maybe you’re young, but records are also facts and would’ a could’ an if "We could get a call" does not get it done. Fundamentals, hard work and ability play into accomplishment.

This is not a personnel attack on the Coach. The same guy who is arguably the best defensive coordinator next to Chaves around East Tennessee. That is also a fact. Jimmy is a fine guy, ex-college great in some respects. But in my opinion it is time for a change. Maybe some of you guys worry you may not be the best players around and another coach would bench or cut you vs. some kid who does not personality to get along with the present coach. I know the team has had a rough season and I saw a few home games, and know enough baseball to know its time for a change, or maybe MHS is happy with a 11-21 record. Good luck with the off season.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe me there is not more talent walking the halls...if there is then those guys did not come out for the team and if those guys are so good that are walking the halls then they should come out for the team and try to help their school...name somebody that is walking the halls that is so much better...prove me wrong and don't give me a i don't want to name names for the sake of the kids krap...to LCBORN...what i was saying about Pharr is that he is a proven winner he has won state championships...is is having a down year by their standards but you don't hear all of the K-town area calling for his job, thats the point i was trying to make...its almost pointless trying to explain some of this stuff to hotheads like FBE...we should let some of the Dads that get on here coach...i would bet a major league players salary that they could not do any better...oh yeah didn't SD have a run of about 4-5 years that they couldn't finish higher than 3rd or 4th...some things just take time and the same coach is still there...it would be different if we had finished 4th 5th or 6th the last seven years...Oh well, we will still compete like we do every game whether or not we have the support of our own community or not.

I was just wondering when the political baseball tryouts were going to be this year. Does anyone know which side of the political fence Coach Galer and his staff belong to. I need to know so i can allign myself and my son on his side so that he can make the team. I don't want to be kin to that school board member's son that got cut a few years ago....or the sheriffs boy that could not find a way to play in every game....or all those football players that have been cut every year...I guess they were probably all offensive players...i heard Coach prefers his defensive players over all those offensive ones...lord knows i don't want to be kin to the superintentant, his nephew got cut... with all this political talk how in the world has the Maryville defense in football been able to survive his favoritism. If you are going to accuse someone of this kind of behavior( playing favorites and picking the team based on something political) then step up to the plate and name names. otherwise you are striking out more than any of his so called favorite players. By the way,congrats on today's win REBELS and good luck tomorrow! Some of the folks on here sound like they can't wait for you all to lose....."but they are all for the kids" yea right!!

No one answered a previous question about the MHS staff. In the 6 years previous to this one who was on staff? Has it not been pretty much the same staff? Last 6 years: Regional appearances: Farragut -6

Maryville- 3 South Doyle-2 Bearden-1 West-0 Wm. Blount-0 Heritage-0 Sevier County-0. The topic started on the batting facility...Most MHS fans,players,coaches,etc. are looking foward to improvements made in the program and the facility is a step in the right direction. Lets get behind the program 100% and try to get back to the top of this district and beyond. I can remember a year Farragut won the State and one of their two losses that year was to the Rebels. Good Luck today against William Blount and congrats to the JV team on their 28-3 record this year. The staff must have been politically correct during tryouts this time!

Oh come on guys i am waiting to hear some of these names that should be on the team...oh and BTW...the starting defensive end for the football team didn't make it either for someone who said that coach gaylor is biased for defensive players only....and if the names of the guys everyone is thinking about are Ryan Tallent or Tyler Maples then you should really get a clue...Ryan signed a Football scholarship and didn't even like baseball and that was before he came to the high school...i would know i talk to him every day...Tyler Maples, now someone help me here where was it that he committed to recently, oh yeah it was the University of Tennessee...i mean come one guys i am waiting on some of these all-stars walking the halls here at Maryville...name those guys and i will ask them to at least think about trying out if they are good enough, which i doubt they are.

FBE you said earlier that records stand as fact...you are not looking at any records other than the negative ones...two bad years out of 7...big whoop...i mean heck Joe Torre has had about 5 consecutive bad years according to Steinbrenner...are you guys expecting us to win it all every year? No doubt that there has been a drop off in talent at Maryville and a rise in talent at other places...that's how baseball is sometimes...Coach Gaylor even moved a Freshman up to varsity for the first time ever because of lack of production...so no one here can say that we are not doing everything possible to win...PERIOD...plus it doesn't help when half the team has some kind of injury during the year.

Luis Darras-injured shoulder at the beginning of the year

Ben Bryan-was not able to play in a few games this year because of a few reasons

Aaron Gaylor-pitched with a bum shoulder all year

Drew Holt-spent most of his off-season and start of the year battling with knee problems

Zach Connel-Tendonitis in throwing shoulder at beginning of the year

Jonny Weigand-Busted lip open and had to sit a couple games

Eli Brooks-Separated his shoulder before the year started and bothers him quite often

Korey Whitlock- Strained Hamstring, sat out 7 games

Steven Shiver-Hurt ankel before the year started then broke his finger right before he came back.

Believe me there is not more talent walking the halls...if there is then those guys did not come out for the team and if those guys are so good that are walking the halls then they should come out for the team and try to help their school...name somebody that is walking the halls that is so much better...prove me wrong and don't give me a i don't want to name names for the sake of the kids krap...to LCBORN...what i was saying about Pharr is that he is a proven winner he has won state championships...is is having a down year by their standards but you don't hear all of the K-town area calling for his job, thats the point i was trying to make...its almost pointless trying to explain some of this stuff to hotheads like FBE...we should let some of the Dads that get on here coach...i would bet a major league players salary that they could not do any better...oh yeah didn't SD have a run of about 4-5 years that they couldn't finish higher than 3rd or 4th...some things just take time and the same coach is still there...it would be different if we had finished 4th 5th or 6th the last seven years...Oh well, we will still compete like we do every game whether or not we have the support of our own community or not.

You don't listen to what people say at all. He said coach Pharr was not having an 'off' year at all. The talent is down but they are still doing good. Therefore, it is quite a good year that they are looking to be in regions yet again.

Oh come on guys i am waiting to hear some of these names that should be on the team...oh and BTW...the starting defensive end for the football team didn't make it either for someone who said that coach gaylor is biased for defensive players only....and if the names of the guys everyone is thinking about are Ryan Tallent or Tyler Maples then you should really get a clue...Ryan signed a Football scholarship and didn't even like baseball and that was before he came to the high school...i would know i talk to him every day...Tyler Maples, now someone help me here where was it that he committed to recently, oh yeah it was the University of Tennessee...i mean come one guys i am waiting on some of these all-stars walking the halls here at Maryville...name those guys and i will ask them to at least think about trying out if they are good enough, which i doubt they are.

FBE you said earlier that records stand as fact...you are not looking at any records other than the negative ones...two bad years out of 7...big whoop...i mean heck Joe Torre has had about 5 consecutive bad years according to Steinbrenner...are you guys expecting us to win it all every year? No doubt that there has been a drop off in talent at Maryville and a rise in talent at other places...that's how baseball is sometimes...Coach Gaylor even moved a Freshman up to varsity for the first time ever because of lack of production...so no one here can say that we are not doing everything possible to win...PERIOD...plus it doesn't help when half the team has some kind of injury during the year.

Luis Darras-injured shoulder at the beginning of the year

Ben Bryan-was not able to play in a few games this year because of a few reasons

Aaron Gaylor-pitched with a bum shoulder all year

Drew Holt-spent most of his off-season and start of the year battling with knee problems

Zach Connel-Tendonitis in throwing shoulder at beginning of the year

Jonny Weigand-Busted lip open and had to sit a couple games

Eli Brooks-Separated his shoulder before the year started and bothers him quite often

Korey Whitlock- Strained Hamstring, sat out 7 games

Steven Shiver-Hurt ankel before the year started then broke his finger right before he came back.

Rebelguy,

Quit arguing with these people! I can understand you stepping up and defending your dad, I would do the same thing.

Don't know anything about Maryville or its politics; just wanted to say that NO ONE in the United States of America who has aspirations of playing collegiately at a high level, not Maryville College, or professionally do not play Little League baseball. They play on summer teams that compete in tournaments such as East Cobb etc . .. so saying they finished nationally in junior league baseball is not exactly a great accomplishment nor does it reflect the succes Maryville could have if the L.L. superstars played.

You hit the nail on the head. My nephew played on that team. Most of your kids that play at the Maryville Senior league just want to play baseball in the summer. My nephew had no desire to play for the high school team. He didn't try out.

Now his older brother played 4 years at Maryville. He was a 3 time All Blount County player. He won district player of the year his senior year. He was 8-0 pitching for Maryvillle his senior year. He went to Carson Newman and played 1 year. He transfered back to Maryville College so he could play baseball and football. He tore his knee up in the fall of 2001 playing football at Maryville College.That ended his athletic career. He also played 4 years on a travel team called the Maryville Heat. They won 3 state titles in the CABA. They finished 10th in the world when they were 12,4th as 13 yr old and 7th as 14 yr olds. They played against the East Cobb teams several times. He also played 2 years for the Knoxville Stars.

Kaleb Penley and Zack Connell played on that Maryville Senior League team that won the state title.

What hurts the baseball and basketball teams at Maryville is every great athlete wants to play football. I have seen many kids who were good at baseball quit to concentrate on football. Football rules the roost at Maryville.

Don't have a dog in the fight, but the Charlie that was referred to had to be Coach Puleo from WB......by the way they run-ruled Maryville 10-0 last night at SD.....

Coach Puleo is a class guy from start to finish. He spends countless hours outside of school and away from his family on baseball matters....his team means the world to him. To try to disparage him in any way associated with Maryville's coach is a disgrace. He didn't need to come to WBHS to coach baseball....he had already proven in many ways that he knows the game inside and out. Any young man that comes into contact with him is lucky....whether as a player or a student.

Don't have a dog in the fight, but the Charlie that was referred to had to be Coach Puleo from WB......by the way they run-ruled Maryville 10-0 last night at SD.....

Coach Puleo is a class guy from start to finish. He spends countless hours outside of school and away from his family on baseball matters....his team means the world to him. To try to disparage him in any way associated with Maryville's coach is a disgrace. He didn't need to come to WBHS to coach baseball....he had already proven in many ways that he knows the game inside and out. Any young man that comes into contact with him is lucky....whether as a player or a student.

Charlie is a class act and he "prepares" his players to play. I don't think you would ever hear him blaming his teams loss on "their lack of hitting" unless he first took responsibility. Would love to hear a coach be honest for once and admit just maybe they were the real reason :) their team lost.

A teams hitting reflects the coach's preparation. It's called

"batting practice" and you don't need a fancy batting cage to do it. By the way it was not WB's ace that shut Maryville out and held them to 2 hits. Charlie deserves a lot of praise for what he has done. Some coaches have it and some don"t :thumb:

Charlie is a class act and he "prepares" his players to play. I don't think you would ever hear him blaming his teams loss on "their lack of hitting" unless he first took responsibility. Would love to hear a coach be honest for once and admit just maybe they were the real reason :D their team lost.

A teams hitting reflects the coach's preparation. It's called

"batting practice" and you don't need a fancy batting cage to do it. By the way it was not WB's ace that shut Maryville out and held them to 2 hits. Charlie deserves a lot of praise for what he has done. Some coaches have it and some don"t B)

yeah that may be true, but most of the time it's because of a lack of talent on the player's part -