3-man vs 2-man Umpiring Crew

uteevol

I have seen every game in the 8AAA tournment this year and I know there have been at least 10 calls that were made that probably would have gone the other way if there had only been two umpires instead of three. Why can't every game have three during the regular season?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen every game in the 8AAA tournment this year and I know there have been at least 10 calls that were made that probably would have gone the other way if there had only been two umpires instead of three. Why can't every game have three during the regular season?

Its all about money. Teams would rather spend money on going to tournaments, buying new uniforms and etc than paying a few extra bucks for another umpire. Even with 3 umpires, calls will be missed, but there would be more correct calls made on the bases. I think 3 man crews in all district games would be great.

Its all about money. Teams would rather spend money on going to tournaments, buying new uniforms and etc than paying a few extra bucks for another umpire. Even with 3 umpires, calls will be missed, but there would be more correct calls made on the bases. I think 3 man crews in all district games would be great.

Binns ... I agree wholeheartedly. I think umps are like the players, we need to work more on 3-man during the season, just like they need to practice and play game to get better during the season. Sometimes it's tough when your first 3-man crew of the season is the first game of the district tourney.

Binns ... I agree wholeheartedly. I think umps are like the players, we need to work more on 3-man during the season, just like they need to practice and play game to get better during the season. Sometimes it's tough when your first 3-man crew of the season is the first game of the district tourney.

I knew it all came down to money....I also agree that practice and working together will make you better. The crews that have been used in District 8AAA this year have seem to work well together and you can tell it wasn't their first time at doing it.

All calls won't be correct however they are difintely in a better position to make the call (alot less running to get the right angle).

Thanks, it would help the umpires also in the mechanics of a 3 man crew if they used that system in regular season district games. I know of some teams that spend thousands of dollars going the places like Florida to play in tournaments and then gripe about having to pay an umpire an extra $5. In the district tournament, umpires make $45 per game in a 3 man crew. During the regular season, umpires make $55 per game, but that is going up to $60 per game next season. Doubleheaders this season are $75, but next season it will be $80. Its the first raise for umpires in 4 years.

Very true. It's a little strange for your first 3-man to be at tournament time. Obviously, communication is key, but when you're used to 2-man all season, habit takes over sometimes. The decision to use 2 or 3 is up to the home team during the regular season. I know in tournaments, 3-man costs $135 and 2-man costs $110 because we make $45 each instead of $55 each with an extra crew member.

I'm sure it would be difficult for associations to field 3 umpires for all games, but surely for the key district games it could be worked out.

Very true. It's a little strange for your first 3-man to be at tournament time. Obviously, communication is key, but when you're used to 2-man all season, habit takes over sometimes. The decision to use 2 or 3 is up to the home team during the regular season. I know in tournaments, 3-man costs $135 and 2-man costs $110 because we make $45 each instead of $55 each with an extra crew member.

I'm sure it would be difficult for associations to field 3 umpires for all games, but surely for the key district games it could be worked out.

Paying a little more money to umpires is the main reason the minor league umpires are on strike. The owners of the minor league teams spend millions on players, but the umpires are paid very little. They are trying to get by using replacement umpires instead of professionally trained umpires to work their games. Even though some of the replacement guys do a good job, it is much more consistent with the regular guys. More and more minor league coaches are complaining even though minor league baseball has told them to take it easy on the scabs.

Communications is the key. We held a 2-hour meeting prior to the tournaments to go over the mechanics again.

Paying a little more money to umpires is the main reason the minor league umpires are on strike. The owners of the minor league teams spend millions on players, but the umpires are paid very little. They are trying to get by using replacement umpires instead of professionally trained umpires to work their games. Even though some of the replacement guys do a good job, it is much more consistent with the regular guys. More and more minor league coaches are complaining even though minor league baseball has told them to take it easy on the scabs.

too bad there are umpires who are scabbing the strike period.........