Powell vs. Oak Ridge

Guest PiMPiSH

I live for football so I'm pretty pumped about hearing the sounds of shoulder pads hit, no matter how early in the year it is. I cheer for Powell, however, I seriously doubt I'll be doing alot of that come Friday. At least we'll be able to see what our weaknesses are and how our strengths (what little there is) do against a reputable program.

Any Opinions? Let's do this.

what was the score in this one

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why doesn't he just move in with the HC....it worked for Todd Helton (no kin to coach helton)

No kin to Coach Helton? Is that on the up and up?

Todd is Joel Helton's nephew. Joel and Todd's father, Jerry, are brothers. Todd didn't live with Joel during high school.

Thanks for your concern, however I like Oak Ridge’s position better that both of yours… Time will tell, but I am sure that Oak Ridge will be developing a quarterback that fits the system we have in place. Good luck with the new system at Riverdale and good luck with filling the holes left by graduation at Farragut. See you this fall and…… :blink:

Rumor is Oak Ridge is going to struggle early on. Young offense with just one proven guy. If Oak Ridge really has a quarterback program maybe they could redshirt Gulmire? From what I saw last year on JV they really don't have a young QB in the wings.

'

What is all this talk about the quarteback postion at Oak Ridge? It's solid, its other areas that will be of concern, on the offense. Oak Ridge has two or possibly three kids that will compete for the quarterback position NEXT YEAR. Anchorsaway, you keep posting remarks about the JV quarterback from last year, yet when your JV moves up and plays with the big boys, you still can't beat Oak Ridge, I heard your JV quarterback of last year, isn't even playing football next year, because of all of the backdoor politics involved.

One of Clark Duncans main offensive Ideas always included putting your best athlete at QB. It seems to continue at Powell today. I really believed this until recently, which leads to what PimPish said. What if you put Watts on the outside where he only had 3 guys to beat instead of 8. The line up front was more than enough to give some other qb plenty of time, as well as run the ball. Getting the ball to the outside is a huge part of scoring. Powell has had success in putting the best at QB, I guess I can see why they do it. It just limits them so much.

One of Clark Duncans main offensive Ideas always included putting your best athlete at QB. It seems to continue at Powell today. I really believed this until recently, which leads to what PimPish said. What if you put Watts on the outside where he only had 3 guys to beat instead of 8. The line up front was more than enough to give some other qb plenty of time, as well as run the ball. Getting the ball to the outside is a huge part of scoring. Powell has had success in putting the best at QB, I guess I can see why they do it. It just limits them so much.

I really don't dissagree with you, LL. I would have loved to have seen Cody get on the corner more with less defenders to beat, too. The problem was that he really was the only option at QB, and especially early in the season. Matt Abba was a sophomore and he was coming off of major shoulder surgery. He just wasn't ready to play yet. Cody had to be under center.

anchorsl, you're hilarious. We have two good young qbs, Clark and Irby, both can play. And you are so right, Oak Ridge will struggle, we only have one capable player on offense and we won't be any good. word is out. If teams come in thinking this, they are in big trouble.

well i guess the guy posting that one about not having a 2 QB since he posted it as a topic :)

Guest PiMPiSH

I really don't dissagree with you, LL. I would have loved to have seen Cody get on the corner more with less defenders to beat, too. The problem was that he really was the only option at QB, and especially early in the season. Matt Abba was a sophomore and he was coming off of major shoulder surgery. He just wasn't ready to play yet. Cody had to be under center.

I was only using Cody as an example. My main point is SPEED. For the last 3 years Powell has lost to Maryville because they had nobody to counter Tyler Maples. (Before anyone gets MAD and starts shouting at me, yes, I know Maryville has/had plenty of weapons in their arsenal and even if Powell had someone to counter it doesn't mean the scoreboard would have read any different at the end. And yes, I know it's been more more than 3 years since Powell beat Maryville.)

Anyway, I simply think speed, speed, and more speed is THE single most important ability in football. Look at the SEC vs any other conference for example. If this kid does come to Powell, why not put him at WR. If Powell could put one, just ONE fast guy on the outside then Coach Lowe's playbook would double in size. Spread it out. Make the defence respect the deep threat. We have a great line, great running backs, and a great defence to hold down the score. ALL POWELL NEEDS IS ONE FAST GUY ON THE OUTSIDE. Also, can you imagine who many yards Huffy or Texas would have if they didn't have to go up against 8 in the box every single game. JMO.