The Limbaugh Plan

westtennsports

Florida Championship ScheduleFlorida plan

they have 16 districts as we do, however they have 4 districts per region

the top 2 teams from each district participate in the regional tournament which is single elimination all the way... lose and you are out... this year they started on May 2 with the Region Quarterfinals (W2vs RU1, W3vsRU4, and so on), Region Semi's May 5, Region Finals on May 9 which gets them to a fnal four - this is also single elim - lose and you are gone

the State Semi's for 4a are on May 19 and the Championship game is on May 20... the smaller classes go first - the class a championship was today, AA comes in 16/17... AAA 18/19..

i haven't found this for sure but i think they can play a maximum of 22 or 24 games... when i get this info and the district tourney set up i will post it

Edited by 3-6-3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I like double elimination tournaments for determining the best team with the deepest pitching. We could do this at the region level even if there were multiple sites for travel reasons instead of the single elimination games in the first round after districts and at the sectional/sub-state level. 16 districts, 8 regions still works, but with a double elimination region with the winners advancing to state. The district runner ups have now had 2 double elimination tournaments to advance, so I wouldn't have a problem with sending only one from each region to the state tournament. Let the teams that make it to region see someone's #2 instead of sending the loser of the first round home and then the loser at the substate home.

Edited by ksgovols

Alabama's 6-A playoff bracket:

http://www.ahsaasports.com/baseball/Playof...6/class6a06.asp

First round is one game, after that rest of bracket is best 2 out of 3

here are some nuts and bolts

throwing can begin on Jan 9 - balls and gloves only

first practice - Jan 20

First game - Feb 20

Games are limited to 20 dates (DH everyday = 40 games, if no tourney played) most don't do this however. looking at hoover hs website they had roughly 37 games scheduled before playoffs including tournaments

Tournaments - 2 not counted in playing dates

NO preseason scrimmages

they don't have districts - they have area's, which is the equivalent of our regions

there are from 5 to 8 schools in each area - they have 6 classes in spring sports as well. we don't so that is why they have a much different set up. they take the top 2 teams from each area(region) into the playoffs which is 32 teams total- first round game as limbaugh said is single elim gets you to 16 (teams quartfinals) and from these 16 teams they play best 2 of 3 start April 28-29, May5-6, May 12,13 and finals are this weekend May 18-19

i'm not sure how the playoff teams are determined yet - will post when i find out

Edited by jdmtpb

Great ideas - let me add another one. Make EVERY round best 2 of 3 . Example - #4 vs. #5 #2 vs. #7 #3 vs. #6 # 1 vs. #8 all 2 of 3 at higher seeds field. If odd number in your district highest seed would get a bye to the next round of 2 of 3. Continue this format all the way thru the state championship - it would add a TOTAL of one week to the tournaments and would establish a true champion as well as make the regular season mean something. The team with the deepest pithching staffs would eventually win out and not get into a situation like Marshall Co. where they have to throw off in a huge game because of weather. Tennessee is blessed with a ton of baseball talent and this would give them all a chance to shine in big games and not get stuck not being able to perform. Whatever the T$$AA decides they can't keep baseball stuck in the stone ages as is the case with the current format. Baseball is all about getting it done at the right time and the current format brings too many other factors into play. High school sports is for the players and lets let them decide who is best!!