5/19 Riverdale at Soddy

timbdp

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the quote I wrote:

"I don't call that a choke against siegel. That was just one bad pitch and that happens. Riverdale has a history the last three years of choking in the regionals when they are clearly the better team. "

I did not say they choked against Siegel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you have the team to go to State the last three years and you can't get past the regionals, I'm sorry, but that is choking. You call it what you want, I call it choking.

I think it shows no class at all to refer to a group of teenage athletes as chokers. You are talking about kids out there working their tails off day in and day out to be the best that they can be. If they fall a little short of your expectations and loose a game they don't need to hear or read remarks like this. Please realize they are beating themselves up inside and do not need some adults beating them up on a message board. Let's talk about the game, it apparently was a great game to be a part of.

Edited by std

Soddy Daisy over Riverdale 4-3 in 10 innings. Riverdale is out.

:o wow. just couldnt get it done. feel really bad for the seniors but they still have more than enough talent to go above and beyond this next year (cause i never wanna hear that C word again) ;)

I think it shows no class at all to refer to a group of teenage athletes as chokers. You are talking about kids out there working their tails off day in and day out to be the best that they can be. If they fall a little short of your expectations and loose a game they don't need to hear or read remarks like this. Please realize they are beating themselves up inside and do not need some adults beating them up on a message board. Let's talk about the game, it apparently was a great game to be a part of.

Losing to SD isn't a choke. Wouldn't have called the Siegel game either, even though I wasn't there. In AAA, by the region final, you're not going to find any weak opponents even if you've beaten them in the regular seaon. Would have probably went to see SD-Riverdale tonight but got to see a lot of young people I've seen grow up-especially in the last four years-get their diplomas.

I really hate it for our girls i am sorry that you didnt win this game but dont let that put a damper on your season i know u didnt reach your ultimate goal you still had a great year and i am proud of you

could someone tell me a little about the game did we really have a 2-0 going into the 7th and then tooka 3-2 lead into the 10th?

I really hate it for our girls i am sorry that you didnt win this game but dont let that put a damper on your season i know u didnt reach your ultimate goal you still had a great year and i am proud of you

could someone tell me a little about the game did we really have a 2-0 going into the 7th and then tooka 3-2 lead into the 10th?

Riverdale didnt choke in either game. In the game against Soddy we had a no hitter until the sixth. The umpire was giving Soddy a balls width off the outside of the plate and anything close high or low but we still were getting it done. He started out fine but in the seventh he was calling them way off. By the time Jp batted in the tenth it was so far off I am amazed we could contact at all. They had one hit in the sixth as our strike zone got tighter. To get a called strike the ball just about had to be in the middle of the plate or they had to be swinging. The trouble began in the seventh when the lead off batter singled to right. ( Blevens , she had previously struck out and hit two dribblers to the infield) We got the next batter out when she bunted. The next batter hit to our infield , and we threw her out easily by two steps. She was called out by the umpire. Since the first base streched ( standing ) for the throw Soddy's head coach argued and argued until the home plate umpire , who wasnt even facing the play overruled the other umpire and called her out. Pulled foot, and NO she did not pull her foot. The next hitter hits a bloop next to or short stop who bobbles several times but gets the runner out at second by three steps. Second, who has diven in to help , is not on the bag. Since both the short and second are on the base , our second base doesnt have her foot on the bag the umpire just stands there not giving a call. Our short stop holds up the ball but since she dove on the base the umpire calls the runner safe. Soddy then sends their runner home after the call. This is now two outs they will not call. The score is now 2 to 1 with one out and a runner on third and second. As we have no more stike zone but down the middle, The score goes on to tie up with a couple of infield bouncy things. They now have bases loaded with one out. Cat's strike zone gets smaller but she manges to strike one out and get an infield pop up. We get out of the inning. I feel the game was taken out of our girls hands. The game went on for three more innings. Our girls got out of one mess after another allowing no more runs until the tiebreaker in the tenth, when the Soody coach tried a fast one by placing number 21 on second , who is faster , rather than 12, thinking we wouldnt notice.

( By the way we were up 3 to 2 in the tenth when Cat hit a line drive triple to score the runner that was placed on second that had been bunted to third by Alice. Jelly hit a bouncing single over thirds head to be picked up by the short who threw Cat out at home. I think JP singled next with two outs, followed by outs by Kelsey and Whitens , who I think flew out to the out field, stranding our runner. )

I never complain against umpires or bad calls but I knew going in we could get robbed and we did. The girls shook their hands after the game and the parents who were enraged held back. Riverdale played excellent. They did not choke, if anything they showed nerves of steel.

The game was taken away from them when things got tight.

Riverdale didnt choke in either game. In the game against Soddy we had a no hitter until the sixth. The umpire was giving Soddy a balls width off the outside of the plate and anything close high or low but we still were getting it done. He started out fine but in the seventh he was calling them way off. By the time Jp batted in the tenth it was so far off I am amazed we could contact at all. They had one hit in the sixth as our strike zone got tighter. To get a called strike the ball just about had to be in the middle of the plate or they had to be swinging. The trouble began in the seventh when the lead off batter singled to right. ( Blevens , she had previously struck out and hit two dribblers to the infield) We got the next batter out when she bunted. The next batter hit to our infield , and we threw her out easily by two steps. She was called out by the umpire. Since the first base streched ( standing ) for the throw Soddy's head coach argued and argued until the home plate umpire , who wasnt even facing the play overruled the other umpire and called her out. Pulled foot, and NO she did not pull her foot. The next hitter hits a bloop next to or short stop who bobbles several times but gets the runner out at second by three steps. Second, who has diven in to help , is not on the bag. Since both the short and second are on the base , our second base doesnt have her foot on the bag the umpire just stands there not giving a call. Our short stop holds up the ball but since she dove on the base the umpire calls the runner safe. Soddy then sends their runner home after the call. This is now two outs they will not call. The score is now 2 to 1 with one out and a runner on third and second. As we have no more stike zone but down the middle, The score goes on to tie up with a couple of infield bouncy things. They now have bases loaded with one out. Cat's strike zone gets smaller but she manges to strike one out and get an infield pop up. We get out of the inning. I feel the game was taken out of our girls hands. The game went on for three more innings. Our girls got out of one mess after another allowing no more runs until the tiebreaker in the tenth, when the Soody coach tried a fast one by placing number 21 on second , who is faster , rather than 12, thinking we wouldnt notice.

( By the way we were up 3 to 2 in the tenth when Cat hit a line drive triple to score the runner that was placed on second that had been bunted to third by Alice. Jelly hit a bouncing single over thirds head to be picked up by the short who threw Cat out at home. I think JP singled next with two outs, followed by outs by Kelsey and Whitens , who I think flew out to the out field, stranding our runner. )

I never complain against umpires or bad calls but I knew going in we could get robbed and we did. The girls shook their hands after the game and the parents who were enraged held back. Riverdale played excellent. They did not choke, if anything they showed nerves of steel.

The game was taken away from them when things got tight.

I told everyone on here to bring your video cameras. The only way you stop this alleged redneck good ol' boy junk is to video it and turn it in. Otherwise, you'll never see a change nor a reason to change it no less. I'm really interested to know if anyone did tape it. The more things change, the more things remain the same.

I told everyone on here to bring your video cameras. The only way you stop this alleged redneck good ol' boy junk is to video it and turn it in. Otherwise, you'll never see a change nor a reason to change it no less. I'm really interested to know if anyone did tape it. The more things change, the more things remain the same.

as i have stated in the past you willnever beat clifford kirk at his game when you play at soddy lake. the bad thing about it is you guys will get called poor sportsman sore losers why babies and everything else when the soddy faithful kicks in.i hate it for riverdale which im not a fan of had to come here to witness first hand what a shame it is to play there with cliffs umpires.you no the way outside the plate srike that your team couldnt get if you wanted or prayed for it.now i dont blame the soddy girls for it because they do have some out standing kids on that team and they produce on offence and are pretty dang good ballplayers..just as tired as the rest seeing the umpthing go on year after year.the good thing is next week cliff gets no help and the ball team is good enough to win the state but will have to do it with the girls and not cliffs umps which is still a scary thought.so go back home riverdale a you willlive to see another day and from what i saw last nite you guys have no reason to hang your head or make excuses(great team)you just got caught up in a situation that you should have never put yourslf in but im sure the girls from ooltewah this mornin are sleeping real good.

He'll probably get "Coach of the Year" again by the local paper. When other coaches pull his antics they are told to shutup and go to the dugout. All I can say is you just got a small portion of what Chattanooga softball goes through each year. :(

I don't post replies very often. I did a quick reply earlier that didn't show up. But I was also at the game and wanted to respond to ERA.

Your first baseman pulled her foot. Clifford did not have to argue and argue. As soon as he asked for help from the home plate umpire, the umpire immediately called her out without hesitation.

The call at second base was close. I do know that the umpire was standing right there at the base and had alot better look at it than anyone in the stands could have so I will leave that there.

As far as scoring on "infield bouncy things", I believe a hit is a hit and if it advances a runner or scores a run then it is as good as a line drive.

Now to the switching runners at the top of the 10th. In the ninth inning no 21 was involved in a collision with Riverdale's second baseman and no 1 was entered to run for her. (Number 12 was never even in question.) When Soddy Daisy came up to bat, no 21 was reentered and took her place at 2nd base. (And actually no 1 is a lot faster runner than 21 is.)

About the umpires, they were from Knoxville. One Soddy Daisy fan overhead a conversation in the restroom where Riverdale fans were even saying that one of the umpire's had a daughter on the Soddy Daisy team. I think I know all the parents of the softball players from Soddy Daisy and I can most assuredly respond that their dads' were not umpiring.

Last night's game was probably the most exciting softball game I have witnessed in my life. I think that it is a shame that this game was played in a Sectional instead of the State because both of the teams deserve to be playing in the State.

Good Luck to the Lady Trojans at the State.

I dont think you were at the same game I was. I was behind the plate and quite honestly, that kid NEVER pulled her foot, Soddy did raise cain about it, and the kid at second was as out and out could ever be. It wasnt even close. If you dont think that strike zone changed after the sixth inning you really were not paying any sort of attention. I dont care where you say the umpire was from, that game was stolen in every sense of the word.

Why do you think no one will ever allow the state at Chattanooga? It will never happen. Mark my words. Why do you think it is a standing joke about Chattanooga and bad calls? I mean do you ever hear consistant remarks about " funny " umpiring anywhere else? Sure a comment about a bad call here or there but nothing like is said about Chattanooga. When was the last time you heard about crooked umpiring in Hendersonville, Murfreesboro, or even Memphis??????I have been to games all over the USA and always feel the umpires do their best. Riverdale was swindled.

I am not going to say anything more about the subject as I detest "sour grapes" issues. I just thought it needed to be brought out in the open.

The Soddy girls were great. They played a great game, and they should be proud. I am proud of the Riverdale team. The pitcher and the other players had nerves of steel and to get all those strikeouts/ infield putouts with bases loaded because of whatever reason is amazing.

Both teams played their hearts out. All girls need to be proud of their performance.