Can anyone beat Brentwood

mack6

Out of the six teams left, BGA is the only team Farragut has not played. They played Bearden 3 times, Catholic twice, CAK, and CBHS. They played Hendersonville in State.

In South Carolina they played 5 very good teams in which 2 won the state and 1 was a finalist.

Pretty good competition and a tough schedule.

My point exactly. It doesn't matter who you play or how tough your schedule is. Once you get to state all bets are off. Farragut played a great schedule and did very well but the end result was not what they wanted becuase they were not on against H'ville. They lost.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explain to me why they wouldn't get anything out of it. Inter-county rival are always fun and the competition would be good for both teams to prepare for the post season.

Are you saying that it might hurt their record to lose to an inferior team? Surely not.

They would not get anything out of it because it doesn't mean anything and they don't need to play them. They already have four in-county rivals who they have to beat to win their district. In the old days it meant something but not now.

Some post season for BGA. The road to state=2 post season games (one of which can be a loss) and you punch your ticket to Murfreesboro. Maybe they should play triple elimination at that classification.

I think if you saw BGA play your "inferior" opinion of them might change. From what I saw this year they looked to be a pretty darn good team.

My point exactly. It doesn't matter who you play or how tough your schedule is. Once you get to state all bets are off. Farragut played a great schedule and did very well but the end result was not what they wanted becuase they were not on against H'ville. They lost.

If you got to see Farragut at the beginning of the year you would have been surprised. They were not a final four team, not even a final eight team. This team couldn't win a game because they couldn't score.

When you play lack luster opponents you get away with things that you normally would not and you are never tested mentally or physically. This is why you schedule tough opponents, so the state tournament is not the first time.

Who you schedule is very important, but you are right about state once you get there. It doesn't have to be pretty as long as you put more in the net than the other team.

goal, you're vastly missing the point. It's all about gaining experience against top ranked teams. Farragut played many top ranked teams, so when it came to playoff time, they had the experience to know how to handle certain situations. Furthermore, playing it tough games builds team chemistry. Brentwood didn't have enough games this year in which they were losing or tied coming toward the end of the game, so they didn't have the experience to know how to get out of that situation.

goal, you're vastly missing the point. It's all about gaining experience against top ranked teams. Farragut played many top ranked teams, so when it came to playoff time, they had the experience to know how to handle certain situations. Furthermore, playing it tough games builds team chemistry. Brentwood didn't have enough games this year in which they were losing or tied coming toward the end of the game, so they didn't have the experience to know how to get out of that situation.

Rock, I see the point fine. I just don't agree with it. Its an opinion thing, you have yours and I have mine.

One could look at it this way.

Brentwood played an "easy" schedule and made it to state.

Farragut played a "hard" schedule and made it to state.

Neither Farragut or Brentwood will win state this year despite their schedule.

However a team appraoches their road to state is kind of their own thing. Once you get there all bets are off, anyone can win (or lose).

I am sure the same will hold true for next year.

Rock, I see the point fine. I just don't agree with it. Its an opinion thing, you have yours and I have mine.

One could look at it this way.

Brentwood played an "easy" schedule and made it to state.

Farragut played a "hard" schedule and made it to state.

Neither Farragut or Brentwood will win state this year despite their schedule.

However a team appraoches their road to state is kind of their own thing. Once you get there all bets are off, anyone can win (or lose).

I am sure the same will hold true for next year.

You can also look at this way:

Brentwood is the defending state champion and is bringing back a lot of the team. They are in a prime position to reclaim their state title.

Farragut is coming off of a year where they are losing a lot of seniors and are going to have a lot of new starters.

Brentwood's easy schedule did nothing to help Brentwood prepare, nor to keep a mental focus needed to win state.

Farragut's tough schedule made them a better team all together and helped them to make state. Without the tough schedule, this team most likely would not have made it this far.

You can also look at this way:

Brentwood is the defending state champion and is bringing back a lot of the team. They are in a prime position to reclaim their state title.

Farragut is coming off of a year where they are losing a lot of seniors and are going to have a lot of new starters.

Brentwood's easy schedule did nothing to help Brentwood prepare, nor to keep a mental focus needed to win state.

Farragut's tough schedule made them a better team all together and helped them to make state. Without the tough schedule, this team most likely would not have made it this far.

i know you think it was a "prime position" to repeat but brentwood did lose 7 starting seniors with one of them being the all-state mvp. Those were hard to replace and had to have young players step up and those young players didnt play with the heart of the older ones this year and that is what made them weak. In no way does their schedule matter b/c houston is a great team but they lost in the first round just like brentwood and they both play different schedules.

Also, brentwood plays all the good AAA teams around them without traveling 300 miles to play. The reason they dont play teams liek bga, mba, and cbhs is because the brentwood coach doesnt think that playing those schools will make a difference. I agree that brentwood should play those teams but they sometimes dont want to travel every weekend b/c they have to worry about something called...school!!..The place where you make grades and learn stuff..

i know you think it was a "prime position" to repeat but brentwood did lose 7 starting seniors with one of them being the all-state mvp. Those were hard to replace and had to have young players step up and those young players didnt play with the heart of the older ones this year and that is what made them weak. In no way does their schedule matter b/c houston is a great team but they lost in the first round just like brentwood and they both play different schedules.

Also, brentwood plays all the good AAA teams around them without traveling 300 miles to play. The reason they dont play teams liek bga, mba, and cbhs is because the brentwood coach doesnt think that playing those schools will make a difference. I agree that brentwood should play those teams but they sometimes dont want to travel every weekend b/c they have to worry about something called...school!!..The place where you make grades and learn stuff..

Don't give me the school excuse. A good student althete can do both activities well without struggle. Houston, unlike Brentwood, actually played well in their quarterfinal game and just couldn't put it in the back of the net. Brentwood straight up got outplayed.

the fact is brentwood did lose many important parts of the team last year including most of the defense and midfield. now they have to replace those positions with younger players and it is going to take more than a season for them to get used to each other. they played together all year and still weren't meshing well enough to win it so it wouldn't have mattered whether they were playing a christian bros or not. they need time to get used to playing with each other and figuring out one another's strengths and weaknesses. last year, it wasn't that brentwood was amazing (even though we were ;) ), it was the fact that we had all played with each other for years. i knew if someone messed up, i would cover them and vice versa. team chemistry is most important if you want to win. they aren't to that point yet where they know what their teammate will do before he does it, but they will be soon enough.

for those strength of schedule people, the brentwood head coach just finished his 3rd year and has been criticized for playing weak teams every year. state semifinalist, state champs, state quarterfinalist. sounds like a pretty successful program to me by any standards. i'm not gonna deny that playing harder teams will make your team better, but i think in brentwood's case this year it wouldn't have mattered. they just need a little more time playing together. with such a young team that is packed with talent, they should be doing great in the next few years.

the fact is brentwood did lose many important parts of the team last year including most of the defense and midfield. now they have to replace those positions with younger players and it is going to take more than a season for them to get used to each other. they played together all year and still weren't meshing well enough to win it so it wouldn't have mattered whether they were playing a christian bros or not. they need time to get used to playing with each other and figuring out one another's strengths and weaknesses. last year, it wasn't that brentwood was amazing (even though we were ;) ), it was the fact that we had all played with each other for years. i knew if someone messed up, i would cover them and vice versa. team chemistry is most important if you want to win. they aren't to that point yet where they know what their teammate will do before he does it, but they will be soon enough.

for those strength of schedule people, the brentwood head coach just finished his 3rd year and has been criticized for playing weak teams every year. state semifinalist, state champs, state quarterfinalist. sounds like a pretty successful program to me by any standards. i'm not gonna deny that playing harder teams will make your team better, but i think in brentwood's case this year it wouldn't have mattered. they just need a little more time playing together. with such a young team that is packed with talent, they should be doing great in the next few years.

Sounds like your program is having plenty of success. No one should be dogging your program or your coach because the record does speak for itself.

You are right about easing a young team into the season to give them time to mesh. Throwing to much at them at once can work against you. I do think you need to have some benchmark games to know where your team stands. Both

Bearden and Farragut are in a weak district, but it is getting better, and schedule very tough teams out of conference. As a fan those are the games to go watch because you will get to see some high quality soccer.

I know Brentwood will be back again next year and congrats on your success.

Edited by Soccer Gypsy

lets face it, a hard schedule for a good team is ALWAYS beneficial. It did not seem as if Brentwood could play at such a fast pace, they lost alot of 50/50 balls probably because they have never really had to work for them consistently like other teams.

Not only does it help teams it helps individual players to get used to playing at a fast level and exerting every thing in the game.