rollredroll

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a great fan of rules that would suspend a coach for a 50 point win, but I'm also very much against running up the score needlessly. I understand wanting to allow reserves and younger players to get playing time and achievement: put them in at the 35 point mark; most teams can protect a 5 touchdown lead. If the other team is so inept that they cannot stop reserves, then move the ball to the 5 yard line, and take a knee. You have 95 yards to let the younger kids get work.

I recall Tommy Owen telling an MBA dressing room at the half that a 42-0 lead was sufficient; there was no need to humiliate the other team's program. The point had been made, and there was no doubt which team was better.

I don't think anyone would call me a liberal, and I have no problem with issuing failing grades, even if feelings do get hurt, and self-esteem is bruised. But there are also privacy law issues that attempt to prevent humiliation. A high school football score is in the paper, and a 90-0 scoreline makes national news. One aspect that I think we often forget is that we are talking about children here. Very large ones, but children nonetheless.

And regarding Bobby Bowden's comments, remember that Bowden, Spurrier, et al are basically very well paid CEO's, and their players are compensated. It's a business, despite what the NCAA may try to say. Further, this issue touches on ethics and that elusive concept "class", and Bobby "I prayed it was a misdemeanor" Bowden may not be the best source of wisdom.

Ok someone on the board up there must have been that kid on the side line that did not get to play unless the team was getting blasted or a parent that watched their kids team get ran on and wanted to make a difference. What a bunch of bull. You either prepare and stop them from scoring or stop putting them on the schedule. Of course there are region games that you can not control. If you do want to have a rule make it 70+ or 80+ point wins. That would make more sense. :lol: