Is State A-AA really fair for the public schools?

pops9

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You talk about all private school advantages, how about public school advantages: A defacto monopoly on all kids, free education, free lunch, free books, tax dollars to pay for it all, and to say nothing of public school recruiting! so give me a break. Bottom line privates do more for less, get your house in order and quit pointing fingers!

I think you may be hearing crickets because of how silly this argument is. The claim is something like "they recruit too." So that's justification for putting certain private schools into the public school grouping?

Are there any nearby states that have the same situation we have? I know Georgia doesn't.

Largely because Georgia has enough schools playing soccer to have four viable classes. Tennessee doesn't.

I believe your friend is also moving because his dad got a job there. I am sorry that you feel it is unfair. I think it will change in the near future, but I will say that this thread is going to be moved to the public vs. private debates if it continues.

Riiiight! THAT'S why-I mean because taking a job as a high school girl's soccer coach is obviously the next career move for someone who was named "OVS Coach of the YEar" in 2002 and who has been nominated for national COLLEGIATE coach of the year on 8 occasions for being the 8th winningest COLLEGE coach among Div 2 schools. Because when you're a collegiate coach with that kind of resume of course you would want to coach high schools girls and the fact that you get to move your sons out of a "successful but not there" public high school and place those sons on one of the winningest PRIVATE high school teams in the state well that's just a job perk. please. :rolleyes:

Edited by JOE23

build a program, and talented kids will come, whether its AAA girls basketball, 4A & 5A football, private baseball and softball , or private soccer.

AAA girls basketball in middle tennessee is saturated with transfers

I think you have it right. The thing is if it is a private school they are accused of recruiting or cheating.

Riiiight! THAT'S why-I mean because taking a job as a high school girl's soccer coach is obviously the next career move for someone who was named "OVS Coach of the YEar" in 2002 and who has been nominated for national COLLEGIATE coach of the year on 8 occasions for being the 8th winningest COLLEGE coach among Div 2 schools. Because when you're a collegiate coach with that kind of resume of course you would want to coach high schools girls and the fact that you get to move your sons out of a "successful but not there" public high school and place those sons on one of the winningest PRIVATE high school teams in the state well that's just a job perk. please. :rolleyes:

Feel what you want to feel. I'm sure that having a successful boys program was a factor in their decision, but not the biggest or only. Until you know the person, or involved in the interview process you are not informed enough to judge. But people will, and with the same sincerity that you did.

Funny. Mt. Juliet's girls basketball team went out and got college coaches that were coaches of the year before too. They won a state championship ... and are now college coaches at a very strong NAIA school again. There are numerous other others that I know personally that have been very good coaches at the college level that are now at the high school level. The issue here really is a bias towards private school kids. ;)

Public school parents are just going to have to become more involved physically and monetarily if they expect their public school athletics to be successful and competitive with the private schools. People are going to Private schools for a reason and for those of us where private schooling is not an option-we have to get smart and get involved and put in our money and our time.

The schools are becoming more and more receptive to non-faculty coaches and booster involvement with athletic programs because the funds are dwindling when it comes to supporting extracurricular activities. Our boosters for football and basketball raise huge amounts of money to support those teams in addition to the gate money those sports bring in. Soccer is lucky if our gate covers the referree costs; therefore, we need extra funds from somewhere else. Hopefully community interest and support will increase since our team made it to the state tournament-a first for our soccer program and this positive exposure should help.

But, it's amazing how at parents meetings the griping and complaints we get when we try to explain that hardly any funding is available from the school district for our program. You can explain it and explain it but the majority just dont hear. They just continue to say that "their tax dollars" should pay for everything. I'm afraid it will have to get worse for some public school sports for it to get better.

Public school parents are just going to have to become more involved physically and monetarily if they expect their public school athletics to be successful and competitive with the private schools. People are going to Private schools for a reason and for those of us where private schooling is not an option-we have to get smart and get involved and put in our money and our time.

The schools are becoming more and more receptive to non-faculty coaches and booster involvement with athletic programs because the funds are dwindling when it comes to supporting extracurricular activities. Our boosters for football and basketball raise huge amounts of money to support those teams in addition to the gate money those sports bring in. Soccer is lucky if our gate covers the referree costs; therefore, we need extra funds from somewhere else. Hopefully community interest and support will increase since our team made it to the state tournament-a first for our soccer program and this positive exposure should help.

But, it's amazing how at parents meetings the griping and complaints we get when we try to explain that hardly any funding is available from the school district for our program. You can explain it and explain it but the majority just dont hear. They just continue to say that "their tax dollars" should pay for everything. I'm afraid it will have to get worse for some public school sports for it to get better.

You are soooooooooo correct about public school parents needing to become more involved in their school with both money and time. Most private schools cost over $7500.00 per student and I am not sure what public schools spend per student each year but look at the following numbers:

If a school has 500 students and each student contributed $250.00 you would have $125,000.00 to spend on extra things for the school. That would be .68 cents per day for education. Would that not be very inexpensive? Let's all get smart people!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

You are soooooooooo correct about public school parents needing to become more involved in their school with both money and time. Most private schools cost over $7500.00 per student and I am not sure what public schools spend per student each year but look at the following numbers:

Well, I'll tell you. Public schools in Hamilton County spend upwards of (drumroll) $12,000/student/year. The average small private costs $6000/student/year for high school.

Thus, contrary to some earlier posts, small privates actually have a lot LESS money than small publics.