TN HS players drafted

rcpatriot

Thought I would wait for at least a week before I posed this question. Why would Zach Helton get drafted by the Rockies (other than being Todd's cousin)? I saw 2 of the 3 games he played against us this year and I don't remember him getting a hit in either game. I know Lockwood was more deserving, even if I do have differences with his cocky attitude.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would trust the district baseball coaches.

They see the teams week in and week out-

over a scout that may see a kid a couple of times at most.

The district baseball coaches are voting on players based on their season performance. Scouts are judging players on how they project to perform in the future.

I agree, but what kind of message does it send out to people. Unless I missed it, he is walking on at Memphis and did not even make all-district this year in baseball, but he gets drafted, sure makes the district coaches look like idiots for not selecting him to the team.

Based on the article I read, Zach understands why he was selected.

As far as all-district is concerned, there are some players that miss post-season recognition because they play on mediocre teams. It can also depends on the level of competition. A batter in one district can feast on opponent pitching whereas a batter with equal ability might not fare as well in a district with tougher pitching.

A HS team's #1 pitcher may have a worse record than the #2 and #3 guys because he faces the best opposition. If a pitcher never gets run support, or has a defense that surrenders a lot of errors, he's going to have a tough time winning games -regardless of his ability.

That's not to take away from the players that earn post-season recognition. More often than not they are deserving of their accolades.

Edited by bizazz