Class 3A: Region 6 Favorites

CoachT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

thompson is the most seasond coach as far as playoffs in region six (in my opinion) and everyone has their own.. thompson will have fw ready Rome wasnt built in a day and it takes evry good coach a little time to get his guys beliving in him and in thier selfs.... look at knox catholic it took there coach 3 years, it took counce 3 years at dyerburg, but keep in mind thompson knows the game and has been sucessful and has talent to work with in fw... probably more tallent than the rest of the region

The Ware has always had talent, size, and speed...........they just have never had any direction. Thompson will make them a very legit team, but they will never dominate as his Melrose teams did.

You have to keep in mind that he had 4 All Americans at Melrose on 1 team. He coached more NFL players in a 5 year span than most people will coach in a lifetime. Melrose has 5 players in the NFL, only Long Beach Poly Tech has more. That type of talent just doesnt fall in a coach's lap every season. Sure Thompson helped bring it out of the players, but I dont think he will find that much talent again.

Edited by PrepFanatic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple:

It's athletics and attitude. I expected cbarkely to understand that.

FW has the athletic ability, it's just Thompson making them believe they can win every game.

I think an old Yogi Bera quote applies here......

Don't talk to me about a change in attitude until it gets proven between the lines on Friday nights this fall. That's not something that you, I, or anyone else in this world can automatically assume will change. Winning clutch games in the second half of the season is what makes or breaks ya and last year FW fell to pieces down the stretch. A 35-6 loss to a Chester Co. team that was very average at best when your season is at stake is not a great way to enter the 2006 campaign.

Hopefully you'll understand that <_<

FW has the only SEC caliber player in this region in WR/CB Wade Bonner. I imagine they'll be a playoff team next year.

What is Liberty going to be like next year? Some Liberty people have told me that they're going to have a very weak team. I find that hard to believe though considering the school's 1,000+ enrollment.

Don't talk to me about a change in attitude until it gets proven between the lines on Friday nights this fall. That's not something that you, I, or anyone else in this world can automatically assume will change. Winning clutch games in the second half of the season is what makes or breaks ya and last year FW fell to pieces down the stretch. A 35-6 loss to a Chester Co. team that was very average at best when your season is at stake is not a great way to enter the 2006 campaign.

Hopefully you'll understand that :lol:

Yup, and I was suprised that CC beat them as bad as they did. Heck, I was surprised when Lexington beat them as bad as they did.

I'm just betting that he gets enough out of them to get them to the playoffs this year.

Lexington's coaches have not ever said that they wouldn't be good this year. Inexperienced yes, but never not good. They have said that this group of freshmen are better than the group that produced college signees Jonathon DeBerry, Blake Booth, Spencer Taylor, Kevis Buckley and 14 all-region selections last year. :rolleyes:

I dont think they will win the region, but they will give teams a hard time this year.

Name any player returning to the Lexington football team this year that is better then Kevis Buckley and/or Jon DeBerry??? The answer is very simple...none!!

There is some very good "young" talent returning to the Big Red this year and I think they will compete for the next several years. There also is excellent football talent at Lexington Middle School the next two years. But, NO Lexington coach has said "This group of freshman are better than the four that produced college signees" that you mention!! :)

Three other players were offered s'ship this past year, two had grade problems and the other is going to UT but not play football.

This 2006 class would have been a VERY SPECIAL class at any high schooll!! :lol:

Yup, and I was suprised that CC beat them as bad as they did. Heck, I was surprised when Lexington beat them as bad as they did.

I'm just betting that he gets enough out of them to get them to the playoffs this year.

REMEMBER: All of the talent in the world means nothing when you are a team that lacks "mental toughness".

Teams that win state titles have to overcome some sort of obstacle along the way (I don't care how dominant of a 15-0 team you can name me). A great example of this would be last year's Livingston Academy bunch. In the playoffs they beat two teams that beat them in the regular season (AE & Knoxville Catholic), an unbeaten #1 ranked team (ND), and a powerhouse that nobody including me gave them a shot to beat (Lipscomb). All of that was accomplished by a team that made the playoffs at 5-5 in the final week of the regular season. That means that LA was on the exact same boat as was Chester Co. (beat FW in the final week of the regular season to earn a playoff bid at 5-5). It would have been easy for LA to be satisfied with a playoff berth seeing as how they were underdogs every week last November & December. The mental toughness of guys like Wilson Cates (who while athletic wasn't nearly the best athlete in 3A) and the desire to never lose led LA to a state title.

REMEMBER: All of the talent in the world means nothing when you are a team that lacks "mental toughness".

Teams that win state titles have to overcome some sort of obstacle along the way (I don't care how dominant of a 15-0 team you can name me). A great example of this would be last year's Livingston Academy bunch. In the playoffs they beat two teams that beat them in the regular season (AE & Knoxville Catholic), an unbeaten #1 ranked team (ND), and a powerhouse that nobody including me gave them a shot to beat (Lipscomb). All of that was accomplished by a team that made the playoffs at 5-5 in the final week of the regular season. That means that LA was on the exact same boat as was Chester Co. (beat FW in the final week of the regular season to earn a playoff bid at 5-5). It would have been easy for LA to be satisfied with a playoff berth seeing as how they were underdogs every week last November & December. The mental toughness of guys like Wilson Cates (who while athletic wasn't nearly the best athlete in 3A) and the desire to never lose led LA to a state title.

Very true.

But for a team that has consistently gone 1-9 or 0-10 since 98, last year was a start. I just say they make the playoffs this year, and then beat a couple of your Region 5 teams along the way too.

Very true.

But for a team that has consistently gone 1-9 or 0-10 since 98, last year was a start. I just say they make the playoffs this year, and then beat a couple of your Region 5 teams along the way too.

That's a bold statement seeing as how Region 5 has dominated Region 6 in the postseason the past three years. As I said on another thread in the case of teams like Fulton, AE, and LA THE PAST MEANS NOTHING. That I will give you buddy :lol:

2006 is now and looking back to 2003-2005 is in no way, shape, or form helpful. With that having been said you and I both know that since Crockett Co. (who's now in Region 7) had their run of dominance in 2001 (state runner-up) and 2002 (semifinalist) it's all been downhill for Region 6-3A.

That's a bold statement seeing as how Region 5 has dominated Region 6 in the postseason the past three years. As I said on another thread in the case of teams like Fulton, AE, and LA THE PAST MEANS NOTHING. That I will give you buddy :lol:

2006 is now and looking back to 2003-2005 is in no way, shape, or form helpful. With that having been said you and I both know that since Crockett Co. (who's now in Region 7) had their run of dominance in 2001 (state runner-up) and 2002 (semifinalist) it's all been downhill for Region 6-3A.

And as you said, the past means nothing. :lol:

This region will be a surprise this year. You folks are expecting a drop off, but there is a lot of young talent out there. Bolivar started a ton of sophomores last year and Fayette Ware has got a bunch of athletes. If there line is any better, they will be dominant. South Side returns some key players and Browder's son is a Senior at McNairy. Liberty has a core group of Juniors and Seniors that seem to have great Chemistry. They learned rom their loss to Cheatam. Cheatam had less talent, but better chemistry and they kept their heads during adversity.

Say what you want, but this region will be stronger top to bottom this year and Region 5 will GO DOWN!

This region will be a surprise this year. You folks are expecting a drop off, but there is a lot of young talent out there. Bolivar started a ton of sophomores last year and Fayette Ware has got a bunch of athletes. If there line is any better, they will be dominant. South Side returns some key players and Browder's son is a Senior at McNairy. Liberty has a core group of Juniors and Seniors that seem to have great Chemistry. They learned rom their loss to Cheatam. Cheatam had less talent, but better chemistry and they kept their heads during adversity.

Say what you want, but this region will be stronger top to bottom this year and Region 5 will GO DOWN!

Outside of Rutherford County and Maryville/Alcoa, I think more smacked is talked between Regions 5 and 6 than anyone else on the boards. :ph34r:

I think we hands down win the battle of the regions contest. :huh: