Football games @ Finley Stadium?

Bill#49

Why does the football administration at UTC not have high school games on Thursday and Friday night @ Finley Stadium?

They have a beautiful stadium that is never used except for an occasional concert, tractor pull and a UTC game. Attendance at a high school game against two highly qualified schools would surely bring in more of a crowd then a UTC game.

Why not have the Times-Free Press game of the week played @ Finley?

If I am not mistaken Baylor and McCallie have played at Finley a time or two but why not have games every Thursday and Friday and not just one every now and then.

Any comments? :ph34r:

My guess would be the cost of operating the stadium. I agree that games there would/should draw a good crowd, but would it be enough to cover the cost of operating the stadium for the day/night.

Also did the school ever purchase the stadium. I know at one time they were looking into the purchase. I think the city still owns the stadium and UTC leases it for its home games.

I know that the schools have to "rent" the stadium in order to play a game there, and they give up all concession and parking only taking the gate. If I remember correctly the price to rent the field is in the 5 to 6 thousand dollar range. If you don't draw a good crowd you lose money on the deal. I know the Baylor/McCallie game has been there the past five years at least.

I don't think UTC has much to do with the running of the stadium as it is owned by Frank Burke (or more correctly he runs it) who owns the Chattanooga Lookouts.

Having said that, I would think the more UTC could show off its facilities to potential recruits and walk-ons, the better off they would be...

Edited by MrPeabody

My guess would be the cost of operating the stadium. I agree that games there would/should draw a good crowd, but would it be enough to cover the cost of operating the stadium for the day/night.

Sequatchie County played Silverdale Academy there last season and I thought it was a good crowd for the size schools we were.

Also did the school ever purchase the stadium. I know at one time they were looking into the purchase. I think the city still owns the stadium and UTC leases it for its home games.
No, The stadium was bought by Frank Burke the owner of the Chattanooga Lookouts and he said they would try and have more High School games.

Last summer they added the new artificial field turf and had several High school games. This month alone they already have had both the Tennessee - Georgia & Tennessee - Kentuky All-Star games and they have scheduled a big 22- team scrimmage coming up in early August and I assume they will have the Kickoff games that they have been having for the past several years during week 0 and week 1.

Sequatchie County played Silverdale Academy there last season and I thought it was a good crowd for the size schools we were.

No, The stadium was bought by Frank Burke the owner of the Chattanooga Lookouts and he said they would try and have more High School games.

Last summer they added the new artificial field turf and had several High school games. This month alone they already have had both the Tennessee - Georgia & Tennessee - Kentuky All-Star games and they have scheduled a big 22- team scrimmage coming up in early August and I assume they will have the Kickoff games that they have been having for the past several years during week 0 and week 1.

Frank doesn't own the stadium. He has a contract to manage it. He has subsidized operations and capital improvements. He's a smart and good businessman but in this case I think he views this a civic duty.