Class 4A: Region 2 Favorites

CoachT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

The Maryville-Morristown West game had to be dropped because South Doyle and Lenoir City were added to region 3. This gave Maryville 7 region games, plus the 3 Blount County games (WB, Alcoa, and Heritage) which left no room for any other games.

I think both sides would have like to have kept playing, it just didn't work out. I think Knox West was a good pick-up for the Trojans. They are as talented as anyone is E. Tennessee. Also, word is Mo. West won't be playing Swain anymore after this year. It will be interesting to see who they pick up.

Edited by cuz

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Maryville-Morristown West game had to be dropped because South Doyle and Lenoir City were added to region 3. This gave Maryville 7 region games, plus the 3 Blount County games (WB, Alcoa, and Heritage) which left no room for any other games.

I think both sides would have like to have kept playing, it just didn't work out. I think Knox West was a good pick-up for the Trojans. They are as talented as anyone is E. Tennessee. Also, word is Mo. West won't be playing Swain anymore after this year. It will be interesting to see who they pick up.

the Swain County series must be on a different contract?

This was their third meeting, but this is the second contract year in TN..

I'll give you South Greene - but that could change next year. I think the new coach wants to resume the rivalry with Jefferson County. And while Jefferson County is down, they would be a 5A and not a 2A and would be a comparable team to Cocke County in terms of athletes and size of team.

Seymour was originally added to the schedule in Newport at the time when Seymour was coming off of two straight quarter or semifinal appearances in AAA.

Everything is relative though.

Cocke County has won 10 games in four years. West probably averages 8-9 wins per season over that same span.

But their non-conference schedule remains about the same. Aside from the first game of the Swain County series, Swain and South Greene would probably be comparable, perhaps, at least from team/school size.

Knox West and Carter could be equals in terms of talent/athletes. Despite Carter a AAA and West a 4A.

Point is, I'd expect West to have a less-padded non-conference schedule. Of course, looking at the other side of things, West is tough and scares some schools off (especially since there are no "money games" in HS ball).

I dont see why the reclassification of 2004 ended the West/Maryville regular season series. West dropped both Maryville and Cleveland after 2004 and had one conference game in there and Knox West for the other.

West scheduled Cleveland for 2 years; each having one home game. In my opinion, the driving distance between the two may have been too far to continue the series from a cost point of view.

For my wish list, I'd like to see West pick up another 5A school in the area (Science Hill, Sevier Co., Dobyns Bennett) on a continuing basis to complement our series with Jeff Co. Maybe a 2-year rotation between these could be set up. The same could also be said for some other 4A region 3 teams. If another out-of-state team is desired, Gate City, VA. has had an oustanding program for several years and won the '05 VA state championship. Hopefully, region 2 4A will soon improve in the number of quality teams. East has a new head coach and, early on at least, seems to have the 'Canes going in the right direction. Boone is also a good addition to the region. Greeneville has currently been in a slump somewhat but, historically, has been able to field some very good teams.

West scheduled Cleveland for 2 years; each having one home game. In my opinion, the driving distance between the two may have been too far to continue the series from a cost point of view.

For my wish list, I'd like to see West pick up another 5A school in the area (Science Hill, Sevier Co., Dobyns Bennett) on a continuing basis to complement our series with Jeff Co. Maybe a 2-year rotation between these could be set up. The same could also be said for some other 4A region 3 teams. If another out-of-state team is desired, Gate City, VA. has had an oustanding program for several years and won the '05 VA state championship. Hopefully, region 2 4A will soon improve in the number of quality teams. East has a new head coach and, early on at least, seems to have the 'Canes going in the right direction. Boone is also a good addition to the region. Greeneville has currently been in a slump somewhat but, historically, has been able to field some very good teams.

Gate City has been down for the past couple of years. In 2005, they lost to Powell Valley in the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind seeing Morristown West play Tennessee High in the regular season if the schedule would ever permit it.

Gate City has been down for the past couple of years. In 2005, they lost to Powell Valley in the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind seeing Morristown West play Tennessee High in the regular season if the schedule would ever permit it.

Good point. And I think that game would be a natural to become one of the great rivalries in upper east TN. But to some, the chances of meeting the same team once in the regular season and then again in the playoffs is not the most desirable scenario although inter-regional games are certainly played now (Boone - Central, Betsy - Greneville, etc). Another option could be quality 3A teams such as A-E or Fulton.

• 4 weeks later...