Oliver Springs Head Coach?

Fromrange

WOW! 1st let me say I don't have a dog in the race and boy I'm glad. However I do have a ?

Why are the coaches in Roane Co. Schools hired (I MEAN APPOINTED) only by a principal and or asst. principal/AD?

And, when hired/APPOINTED it is only on a year to year basis with the principal having the say so if you stay or go? This is 2006 isn't it???????

Shouldn't there be a hiring committee?

How is this handled in other school sys.?

Catback why are you so surprised? This has happened in OS over & over & over!

Thanks & GO BOBCATS!!!!!!

I guess Mom, even though I have lived here 20 years, I still feel like an oustsider, when it comes to the political environment at the schools. I do know however, that at most, if not all schools the PROPER PROTOCAL for hiring a football coach, usually goes something like this: A committee is organized of people who have the most knowledge of the program in the community. This is usually a odd number, ie.. 3, 5, 7, and so on. The principal then sets up interviews, the canidates are then interviewed by the appropriate people regarding the teaching position, the football committee interviews them concerning the football program. They then select (by vote) who they feel would be the best coach, and if this person meets the criteria of the school system as far as teaching, he or she is hired. The principal does have the right to accept or deny this person. But, I have found out that at Oliver Springs, the whole decison is made by the principal, who has to have it approved by the school system ie.. Super Att. and the schoolboard. Mr.Woods did state that Mr. Roberts would be part of the interview process, which one would think would happen, seeing he is the Ath. Dir. What I have found out from all of this is, and this is just MO, is that Mr. Woods doesn't seem very concerned about the football program, and that he is not willing to discuss the matter in any lenght, at least with me, I guess I don't have the right last name, or family ties. And if they had a problem with Coach McKamy, why is it being addressed so late in the game, he's been helping with the program for over a year! The entire football program, players, parents , fans, and community deserve better, as does the senior class!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most of your larger school systems, it is made by the principal, and asst. principals. Of course the coach must meet all the criteria, but once he does the principal will interview, without outside help. The so called committee that some schools have is usually done with very few schools. Oak Ridge did something similar to that, but you saw what happened there. The person they wanted was not accepted by the administration. Although they did get a good coach. It was just not who the committe wanted originally. Even though he had met the criteria.

Edited by LEONARDSLOSERS

In most of your larger school systems, it is made by the principal, and asst. principals. Of course the coach must meet all the criteria, but once he does the principal will interview, without outside help. The so called committee that some schools have is usually done with very few schools. Oak Ridge did something similar to that, but you saw what happened there. The person they wanted was not accepted by the administration. Although they did get a good coach. It was just not who the committe wanted originally. Even though he had met the criteria.

In Oak Ridge's case, it was the principal who did not accept the recommendation of the selection committee. The problem everyone had with that, was, he had resigned and was leaving at the end of the school year. but, it all worked out in the end. I spoke with three different people at three different schools in the area, and everyone one of them told me they seek guidance from outside of the school system or appoint a selection committee when hiring a new coach. While it may differ from school to school, the main concern here is why has this taken so long, when the job was posted May 1. Leonard, don't you feel that having a coach in place BEFORE going into the dead period would be the most beneficial for the team? I don't think MOST schools hire the football coach baised on JUST the principal and vice principals input. Most Principals are not versed in football and selecting a coach, a teacher maybe, but, not a coach. I think most principals would welcome some input before making this decision.

Edited by catback

I have a question for those of you down in Oz. Todd Hood? He was listed as a candidate for the position down there. Didn't he play at O.S. about twenty years ago? If memory serves me right he did because I remember playing against him when I played for Wartburg. As I recall, he played Q.B. and for those days he was a big kid playing quarterback. Tackling him was like tackling an oak tree. I also think he went on to play ball at Austin Peay. Am I right? Did he withdraw his name from the candidate list or is he still in the running?

Well, I am starting to see why Mckamey withdrew his name. Who in their right mind would want to accept a head coaching position in the middle (or end) of July when it could have and should have been handled BEFORE then end of the school year. Don't I remember seeing a post back in April that Frank had resigned? Bottom line is, we are screwed-at least this year.

I have a question for those of you down in Oz. Todd Hood? He was listed as a candidate for the position down there. Didn't he play at O.S. about twenty years ago? If memory serves me right he did because I remember playing against him when I played for Wartburg. As I recall, he played Q.B. and for those days he was a big kid playing quarterback. Tackling him was like tackling an oak tree. I also think he went on to play ball at Austin Peay. Am I right? Did he withdraw his name from the candidate list or is he still in the running?

This has not been confirmed or denied, I was told he had applied, but, because of personal reasons, he wasn't sure he wanted to move his family from Clarksville. This information is what I've heard via the grapevine, so you might want to take it with a grain of salt, so-to-speak.

Edited by catback

I agree totally with you catback. This should have been done in a matter of weeks. This is also a small school system we are talking about, so it would be even easier to make the hire within a few weeks. This puts the players, coaches, and the community in a bad place. A principal once told me that how your football team does is how others schools look at your school. I have heard how great of a school that Alcoa is for years now, but 3 out of 4 of its top players are not gonna be qualifiers. This happens yet Alcoa is a great school. This is just one example , but it is some what true. I have heard for years now from kids and other outside of football talk what a great school that Fulton is. I know that Fulton has many problems and is not on the great academic lists, nor even close to the top 10 of Knox Co. Good luck to OS. I hope they get one quick.

I hope that is just a rumor.....who else had applied if not??

SORRY GUYS, NOT A RUMOR. I TALKED WITH A CLOSE FRIEND OF THE FAMILY AND IT IS FOR REAL. I WAS TOLD THAT THE ADMINISTRATION TOLD COACH McKAMEY ONE THING AND NEVER FOLLOWED THRU. THIS IS WHY HE WITHDREW HIS NAME FROM THE LIST. TO ALL WHO NEVER KNEW HIM YOU MAY HAVE MISSED OUT ON POSSIBLY THE BEST THING GOING. WITH ALL DUE RESPECT TO THE PAST COACHES AS FAR BACK TO COACH BROWN (WHOM WHICH I HAVE GREAT RESPECT FOR) McKAMEY LOVES KIDS AND LIVES FOR FOOTBALL, NOT ONLY WOULD THE KIDS LEARN FOOTBALL THEY WOULD LEARN SOME VERY IMPORTANT LIFE LESSONS.

Well, I am starting to see why Mckamey withdrew his name. Who in their right mind would want to accept a head coaching position in the middle (or end) of July when it could have and should have been handled BEFORE then end of the school year. Don't I remember seeing a post back in April that Frank had resigned? Bottom line is, we are screwed-at least this year.

MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT McKAMEY DID NOT GIVE UP BECAUSE OF A SHORT PREPERATION PERIOD HE WOULD HAVE TAKEN THAT AS AN ADDITIONAL CHALLENGE

When will they name a coach?

MY SUGGESTION TO ALL OF YOU WHO CARE ABOUT O.S. FOOTBALL IS TO GET ON THE PHONE AND CALL JEFF WOODS (THE PRINCIPAL) AND TURN UP THE HEAT. HE IS THE ONE THAT IS GOING TO MAKE THE DECISION. OBVIOUSLY MY VOTE IS FOR McKAMEY, BUT, IF IT IS NOT HIM THEN THERE STILL NEEDS TO A DECESION MADE FOR THE SAKE OF THE KIDS.

MY SUGGESTION TO ALL OF YOU WHO CARE ABOUT O.S. FOOTBALL IS TO GET ON THE PHONE AND CALL JEFF WOODS (THE PRINCIPAL) AND TURN UP THE HEAT. HE IS THE ONE THAT IS GOING TO MAKE THE DECISION. OBVIOUSLY MY VOTE IS FOR McKAMEY, BUT, IF IT IS NOT HIM THEN THERE STILL NEEDS TO A DECESION MADE FOR THE SAKE OF THE KIDS.

Here is the contact information:

Jeff Woods - Oliver Springs High School Principal - (865)435-7216

Toni H. McGriff - Roane County Schools Superintendent - (865)376-5592

These are their work numbers.