Top Super 7 Teams

Speaking of rivalries--I wrote this on the other board--if the only alternative is the current d2-aaa system, I would prefer that there be no play-offs and that there be a season ending Thanksgiving Day bowl game. This is how a lot of prep school football is managed in the Northeast. I attended a Thanksgiving Day game with some friends last year and I was floored. The crowd and atmosphere were amazing; it seemed like everyone who had ever attended the school was at the game. It felt like the old Harvard-Yale games when alumni from all over came in by train. Just an amazing fall tradition that really embodies what football is all about.

Sorry to take the thread another direction, but could you imagine a Thanksgiving Day line-up of:

--MBA vs. BA

--FRHS vs. JPII

--Baylor vs. McCallie

--MUS vs. CBHS

would you be in favor of something like that? Can you imagine the atmosphere on your campus for a game like that on Thanksgiving Day?

That already happens every year at Baylor vs. McCallie..

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With state football tradition so firmly grounded in playing for state titles, folks would never be able to stomach ending their year in a bowl game. It would be a festive, unique way to conclude the season, but it will never happen. Would I attend a Thanksgiving bowl game between my alma mater and a rival private school? I sure would. But I'd rather see my team in the state title game.

Here's an interesting concept that will never work because the TSSAA has given every indication it isn't interested: after each classification's season and playoffs are over, play bowl games between the top two finishers in each division. The matchups could go something like this:

5A champ vs. D2-3A champ

5A runner-up vs. 4A runner-up

4A champ vs. 3A champ

3A runner-up vs. D2-3A runner-up

2A champ vs. D2-2A champ

2A runner-up vs. 1A runner-up

1A champ vs. D2-1A champ

D2-2A runner-up vs. D2-1A runner-up

A very preliminary sketch, mind you. While still not finding a conclusive state champion, these bowl games would pit comparable teams against each other and would reward teams for their stellar seasons, regardless of their classification. I would definitely drive as far as I needed to in order to see any one of these games.

That is why we have private schools.... That is the kind of thinking that is beyond the simple principals that run the tssaa. Let's fight it out and get one TN state championship[ I like it. bet you went to McCallie but if not hope so............

Most years the 5a champion kicks the d2 aaa champions ###### it;s just sheer talent if you have 2500 kids you do better than the 1-3 they siphon off of you. Talent is talent but there is a heck of a lot of it at the 5A lvl lot more than the one d1 scholarship B.J. got at McCallie.......I consider the 5a and the d1 schools even but would dmm sure like to see Owls kick McCallies ######

Most years the 5a champion kicks the d2 aaa champions ###### it;s just sheer talent if you have 2500 kids you do better than the 1-3 they siphon off of you. Talent is talent but there is a heck of a lot of it at the 5A lvl lot more than the one d1 scholarship B.J. got at McCallie.......I consider the 5a and the d1 schools even but would dmm sure like to see Owls kick McCallies ######

"Most years the 5a champion kicks the d2aaa champions ######." Hmmm..tell that to Ravenwood, Franklin, and Brentwood. I believe 3 out of the last 4 years the 5a champion has suffered it's only loss of the season to a NON-D2aaa champion. If my numbers are correct, D2aaa is 52-20 versus 5a schools since the split in '97. I'm sure you would like to see the Owls kick McCallie's #####, but a lot of people would dmm sure like to see Ooltewah offer to play a home and home.

When was the last time the 5A champion defeated one of the Top 4 in D2AAA?