TSSAA vs. BA - Round 587

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puhlease....Did anyone notice this from the article?...

Lawyers' fees also are on Carter's mind.

"Obviously, that's been a concern, and obviously it's probably one of the reasons that we are where we are, and why the appeals have gone on and all those kinds of things,'' said Carter, who added he did not know how much TSSAA had paid for its legal representation over the span of the last eight years.

Carter is the head man at the TSSAA. If he doesn`t know how much they have spent on this case then he`s not a very sharp administrator. He openly admits that the fees are one of the main reasons this case has gone as far as it has. That`s because neither side wants to get stuck paying them. I can`t believe that he doesn`t at least have an idea as to what the TSSAA`s legal fees have been.If he truly does not know, then he should GO!!! I`m guessing that the real reason for "not knowing" is that the amount is so much that he doesn`t want the world to know how much money he has wasted trying a nit-picking case against BA. They spent 92,000 in legal fees to one Nashville firm in 2004 alone. I`d have to guess that not all that was BA related, but I bet a large portion was. That was just one year. No telling how much has been spent over 8 years.

Edited by VolunteerGeneral

Gee...I didn't think BA's suit had anything to do with the money. I thought they were out to clear their name...hummm.

Nobody is asking for any punitive dameges, only reimbursement for legal costs. TSSAA should have quit while they were behind.

Puhlease....Did anyone notice this from the article?...

Carter is the head man at the TSSAA. If he doesn`t know how much they have spent on this case then he`s not a very sharp administrator. He openly admits that the fees are one of the main reasons this case has gone as far as it has. That`s because neither side wants to get stuck paying them. I can`t believe that he doesn`t at least have an idea as to what the TSSAA`s legal fees have been.If he truly does not know, then he should GO!!! I`m guessing that the real reason for "not knowing" is that the amount is so much that he doesn`t want the world to know how much money he has wasted trying a nit-picking case against BA. They spent 92,000 in legal fees to one Nashville firm in 2004 alone. I`d have to guess that not all that was BA related, but I bet a large portion was. That was just one year. No telling how much has been spent over 8 years.

I caught that this morning when I read the story. How scary is it that the man writing the checks doesn't know how much he has written the checks for? That kind of mental prowess is why they chased BA for a goofy interpretation of a poorly written rule. B)

So BA wins the lawsuit...what does that do for the rest of the membership of the tssaa? Who do you think is going to pay those legal fees? The tssaa in nonprofit.

No joke. The entirety of the TSSAA membership body will be responsible for paying that tab. But at the same time, that entirety had the opportunity to stop the madness too. Enough "pressure" applied by a large enough contingent of schools could have stopped the never ending appeals long ago.

JMO, but BA will offer to allow the TSSAA to pay a reduced portion of the legal fees if the TSSAA will agree to make some concessions. I could see BA requesting that the TSSAA do the following:

1. Do away with D1 & D2 and place everyone back together

2. Terminate Mr. Carters contract with the TSSAA

3. reserve X number of spots on the Board of Control for private school members

The TSSAA would have no choice but to do what BA request unless they can find the money to pay the legal fees in full. Let's keep in mind the fact that the TSSAA will have to pay the fees when the legal battle is over. There will be no payment plan over a period of time unless Brentwood Academy grants the TSSAA permission to pay on an installment plan.

I think it might be time for Ronnie Carter to consider stepping aside. I think it would benefit Tennessee high school athletics if the president of the governing body were a little more professional and a little less "good ole boy". Carter has gotten the TSSAA into a huge mess by continuing to fight BA and his comments in today's paper only magnify his attitude towards it and his attention (or apparent lack thereof) to detail. Carter has been in power for quite a while now and maybe some new blood will bring some fresh ideas and a new attitude to the office. Just my two cents.

Edited by TheBigRedDog

JMO, but BA will offer to allow the TSSAA to pay a reduced portion of the legal fees if the TSSAA will agree to make some concessions. I could see BA requesting that the TSSAA do the following:

1. Do away with D1 & D2 and place everyone back together

2. Terminate Mr. Carters contract with the TSSAA

3. reserve X number of spots on the Board of Control for private school members

The TSSAA would have no choice but to do what BA request unless they can find the money to pay the legal fees in full. Let's keep in mind the fact that the TSSAA will have to pay the fees when the legal battle is over. There will be no payment plan over a period of time unless <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> grants the TSSAA permission to pay on an installment plan.

I think your suggestions are legitimate and within the rhelm of possibility. Personally, I would love to see all three things happen. Just think, starting with the 07-08 scheduling which is currently up for changes anyway, we could have everybody back together again...one big happy family...ok maybe not that last part.

I think your suggestions are legitimate and within the rhelm of possibility. Personally, I would love to see all three things happen. Just think, starting with the 07-08 scheduling which is currently up for changes anyway, we could have everybody back together again...one big happy family...ok maybe not that last part.

Here, here...one division for public and private schools. And let's reduce the number of DI classes from five to four, if not three. After reading all of the talk on the Maryville and 5A thread about the level of play at 4A compared to 5A, we need fewer classes if those claims indeed hold water.