defense 3-3 stack

eagles52

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of every team in the state that I have seen run it in the past I would have to say that David Lipscomb runs it the best. They have a quick nose that is good, two pretty good sized tackles that don't get driven off the ball (they play very well against the trap). Their linebackers all have a great nose for the football and when they get the chance to make a play they finish.

I still don't like the defense because it is very suspect against the run, especially up the middle, because most teams don't have a great middle linebacker (ie Braden Binkley) and three guys that can hold their own against five offensive linemen (when it comes to stopping the run).

I have had only a very limited amount of experience with this defense but I woll offer my humble opinion. Remember that it was designed to help handle the 3 and 4 wide/1 back spread offenses. When facing the spread it is a solid defense although if your two ss/olb/nickle backs/ rover/ or whatever you want to call them are capable of playing up on the line line of scrimmage then it can be very successful vs. the run. Ultimately it becomes a 5-3 defense. Unfortunately many teams do not have kids that can handle the duality that calls for. Many 3-3/3-5 teams must then resort to alot of blitzing and stunting to get enought bodies in the box to stop the run. This aggressive style becomes somewhat of a live and die by the same sword. Often times even front teams are actually able to play the 3-3 as an alternate front with outh alot of personal changes. This allows them to give a very different look and often times add a measure of confusion as to whqat they are doing.

it doesn't work very well unless you have great d line men to take on double teams it works great against teams who pass but since there aren't alot of those in high school it doesn't work to great CAK runs it

The defense became the rage of colleges about 2 years ago, but I think it has generally been a failure at the high school level. There are several problems relating to its basic nature: 1) high school linemen are not natural pass rushers and 3 of them usually cannot generate a decent pass rush, so that blitzes are mandatory; 2) if the LB's are stacked and not blitzing, the blocking angles for the OL are a coaches dream; 3)double teams are very easy--if you have a FB in your offense, you have the luxury of a double team at the point of attack, a pulling linemen and a lead blocker out of the backfield.

As someone posted here, the defense usually mutates into a 5-man front.

The defense was devised to stop passing and running from the Ace or 1-back set, with blitzes and LB crashes targeted toward the lone running back and his first steps. In short, it was designed to stop the zone and stretch running plays and passes.

Requirements: 3 big and athletic down linemen, quick OLB's, one stud inside LB

who can fill against the run, a DB who can cover adequately and tackle well. If

I have these components, I can run just about any defense I choose.

the main reason the 3-3 stack doesnt work is, it is to stop a passing attack that 99% of highschools dont have. You need great pass rushers to make it work. That is good if you are like Alcoa and have two D1 DE's but at most normal high schools that wont work. Most schools will try it for a year and then pull it out of their system. The best defenses for the high school level are run stopping ones because thats what the majority of teams do. If i were a coach i'd run a 4-4 or a 5-2 set for my team.