7 Harpeth Hall

8 JP2

9 Hutchison

10 Brentwood Academy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you probably know, I am a big critic of easy schedules.

What schools play the most games vs. teams on your lists?

(Scrimmages DON'T count!)

Oak Ridge plays #1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 13, 16, 20 (twice), & 22

11 games scheduled against top 25 teams including tournaments.

Scrimmages always seem to be a bigger deal here in Middle Tennessee than the rest of the state. Compare the # of scrimmages played by teams each year, and you will see. West Tennessee teams don't seem to scrimmage much at all. Some East Tennessee teams have scrimmages, some don't.

Many teams don't even post their scrimmages on their schedules. I've never understood why teams post the score of scrimmages. Some scrimmages don't even utilize officials.

With RARE exceptions, here is what goes on during scrimmages. . .

--the intensity level isn't nearly the same

--there is more experimentation by coaches (styles, strategies, playing rotation, etc.)

Plus, fitness levels aren't where they will be later. With the heat this time of year, especially if these games are played before 7:00 p.m. (although it would be tough to play even at midnight right now), players will not play at 100% efficiency for long.

Many teams/coaches aren't sure what their strengths/weaknesses are that early in the season. Scrimmages are a good way to start to figure it out. I'm not sure why some teams schedule 6 or 7 scrimmages. When is there time to work on things in practice with that many scrimmages?

It doesn't make sense to NOT play a lot of players in a scrimmage. At least one, probably both, of the teams will look nothing like they did in scrimmages once the regular season starts.

When playing a good school in a scrimmage, you won't get their best. At least not for 80 minutes. Every time the result of a scrimmage is discussed on here, at least one side ALWAYS points out, "we played our jv the second half."

I think it's good that teams try to schedule a few tough teams to scrimmage. Better than scrimmaging a few weak teams, I guess. However, chances are, these "good" teams will not play at full-strength for long in these games.

Scrimmages always seem to be a bigger deal here in Middle Tennessee than the rest of the state. Compare the # of scrimmages played by teams each year, and you will see. West Tennessee teams don't seem to scrimmage much at all. Some East Tennessee teams have scrimmages, some don't.

Many teams don't even post their scrimmages on their schedules. I've never understood why teams post the score of scrimmages. Some scrimmages don't even utilize officials.

With RARE exceptions, here is what goes on during scrimmages. . .

--the intensity level isn't nearly the same

--there is more experimentation by coaches (styles, strategies, playing rotation, etc.)

Plus, fitness levels aren't where they will be later. With the heat this time of year, especially if these games are played before 7:00 p.m. (although it would be tough to play even at midnight right now), players will not play at 100% efficiency for long.

Many teams/coaches aren't sure what their strengths/weaknesses are that early in the season. Scrimmages are a good way to start to figure it out. I'm not sure why some teams schedule 6 or 7 scrimmages. When is there time to work on things in practice with that many scrimmages?

It doesn't make sense to NOT play a lot of players in a scrimmage. At least one, probably both, of the teams will look nothing like they did in scrimmages once the regular season starts.

When playing a good school in a scrimmage, you won't get their best. At least not for 80 minutes. Every time the result of a scrimmage is discussed on here, at least one side ALWAYS points out, "we played our jv the second half."

I think it's good that teams try to schedule a few tough teams to scrimmage. Better than scrimmaging a few weak teams, I guess. However, chances are, these "good" teams will not play at full-strength for long in these games.

Those are all excellent points...BUT....you never once answered her simple question. The reason scrimmages do not count is because they occur in the preseaon. There is a date set by the TSSAA (this year it is August 21) that the first regular seaon contest can take place. You cannot count any contest, scrimmages, play-days, etc., prior to that date. There is not a single sport at any level that counts preseason games or scrimmages. That would be like Mjor League Baseball counting spring training, or the NFL counting the four preseaon games. They are just a tool for coaches to evaluate their teams.

i agree you need scrimmage teams on your own skill level and with different systems of play

playing weaker teams pre-season can get you into some very bad habits but also playing to many pre-season games takes away from 1v1 practice time that you need to jell with teammates

i believe that losing scrimmages helps you work out the bugs in the long run better than winning every scrimmage 8-9 to nothing and thinking you are perfect we(tullahoma) fell into that trap in 2004

if it was up to me i wouldn't have scrimmage atleast until after the 7th or 8th day of practice

Edited by mjuhb

I think she wanted more than "it's because they are before Aug. 21st." She knows that. Everyone on here knows that games before a certain date don't count on the overall record.

I was just explaining why I don't think scrimmages should count when figuring strength of schedule. That was what her question pertained to.

If you read all of the posts, you can see that I DID answer her question. She doesn't have to agree with it, but I did answer it.

Do not dare assume that everyone on here knows all of the rules, especially the ones about date of first contest. High school players are extremely ignorant of the rules set forth by the TSSAA, they are forever asking why can't we do this or that. She asked plain and simple why do scrimmages not count towards your overall record. She did not need all of the extra reasonnigs behind scrimmages. Everyone knows the reasons. I did not need to read all of the posts. She wasn't refering to any other thn yours. Heck, we could both be right as to what was being asked. Matter closed.

sigelplayer FYI, your team plays 9 total on the rankings list

Centennial, Oak Ridge, Houston, Cookeville, Clarksville, Riverdale, CCS, GPS

Baylor.

Not a bad schedule. Especially considering you have to play some teams that are going to be a little down this year in district play. I would also watch out for Ensworth, they will not be an easy game.( Remeber they had you all sweating last year.)

Your entire schedule will make or break your season. In pre-season, you need challenges as well as moral boosters. Too many of either will not get you ready. In season, the balance of when you play the big games, when you have your days off, as well as getting ready for the play offs is imperative. Add all the school stuff you need to plan around, and it gets quite complicated. I don't think a lot of teams put a whole lot of thought into the "when" of scheduling teams... only the "who" of whom they are playing. Too tough of a schedule can get you injured or lowers the moral. Too easy, and you will get blown away in playoffs. Find the balance, and your team will do well. As a coach, you have to do what is best for your team, not what is best for the rankings.