Volunteer @ Morristown West 9/1

Dippy944

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hope the field drains better than that

Homer-01-june.gif

It drains as well as a sponge. Although the new turf in the middle helps a little. More important is the fact that the game is early in the year. After both high schools, the freshmen and varsity, and the middle schools play on it, it gets a little worn and is more of a puddle than a field.

Congratulations to Coach Woods and the Morristown West Trojans for the 43-0 win over Volunteer. Great win for the kids - I think just about everyone was able to play tonight.

The Pink Flamingo award goes to whoever is responsible for the field - it was an absolute mess. The new turf in the middle was probably the WORST part of the field other than the sidelines. It will be a miracle if a kid doesn't get hurt from a divot or twist in the mud if it rains again. I'd be looking for a way to get my money back. The field will not last any time this season and it's a shame. You can't expect a field to hold up when you have recreation leagues, middle schools, freshmen games, JV games and Varsity games all being played on the same field.

Hopefully someone can come up with a decent idea for a fix - this one certainly didn't seem to do it.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about turf or football fields. I can, however, recognize terrible playing conditions and see ruts in the field where the new sod was put down and standing water. I do not profess to have any answers but would certainly be welcome to hear a good idea for a fix.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about turf or football fields. I can, however, recognize terrible playing conditions and see ruts in the field where the new sod was put down and standing water. I do not profess to have any answers but would certainly be welcome to hear a good idea for a fix.

turf like Carson Newman has?

a seperate field or two in Morristown for use by everything other than varsity - and JV/frosh football.

Burke-Toney takes too much of a pounding with all those sports, and requires that.

But, talking about Morristown, who has taken 2+ years to still not have Sherwood Park finished, doing something on that level is 25 years away at this point.... :rolleyes:

turf like Carson Newman has?

a seperate field or two in Morristown for use by everything other than varsity - and JV/frosh football.

Burke-Toney takes too much of a pounding with all those sports, and requires that.

But, talking about Morristown, who has taken 2+ years to still not have Sherwood Park finished, doing something on that level is 25 years away at this point.... :rolleyes:

Good point. I hope one day someone will be able to fix this, the kids in Morristown deserve better.

Great team at Morristown West as usual. All aspects of team is strong. I thought Volunteer showed a lot of heart and played tough until the air got took out of them

midway through the second quarter with the quick scores. Falcon defense looked tough on the first three or four drives but did not adjust. Definitely need to work on adjustments as the game goes along. It wouldn't have made a difference this week because West is too strong and too deep but it will definitely help with the rest of the season. As I said before, Volunteer is not the only team that West will spank this year, they are 3 for 3 in that category already.

Now go get ready for Sullivan East.

Talking about the field, I heard that Morristowns field was so bad because they waited untill late July to sod thier field. I'm no turf management expert, but I have planted a lot of grass in my time, grass will not take in a period of 5 weeks. Whoever made that decision to wait until late July to sod just wasted 16 thousand dollars of Morristown money. It should of been sodded in the spring. I agree that something needs to be done about the field. I have watched Morristown in the playoffs every year for a long time now, and by the end of the season the field is in shambles every year. It's a sad fact that the best football team in this area has to play on a field that is a discrace to high school football. Heck,

Appalachia, and Unaka have better fields at the end of the season, and all they do is line off cow fields. If I was from Morristown I would start raising cain.

By the way, great football team guys. Don't see anyone giving you all a game until maryville week 14.

Edited by sgoinseagle4life