William Blount at Ooltewah

TG24

what? one-sided penalties are a part of the game? this was the worst officiating i have ever heard of. these Ootlewah refs give the Clarksville ones a run for their money.

I have been a football official for 35 years and there have been many games where one team was penalized more than the other. I have also officiated games when we did not throw one flag alll night. the calls made at ooltewah were pretty obvious, I was standing of the sidelines and moving along with the play. And for all you folks who think they got the simultaneous catch wrong, the rule has always been, a simultaneous catch always goes to the offense. I was standing right in front of the play the correct call was made.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to start anything here, but what's the explanation on the missing two seconds at the end of the game? Did the tape get the personal foul that happened DURING THE PLAY? You can spin it anyway you like, just watch your tape. Everyone should see this one.

TG when the player was tackled he remainded inbounds. the proper mechanic for the covering official is to wind the clock telling the ECO that the player was not out of bounds, then if he sees that the line to gain has been made, he stops the clock to set the chains. I have seen the tape, several times and from three different angles.

TG when the player was tackled he remainded inbounds. the proper mechanic for the covering official is to wind the clock telling the ECO that the player was not out of bounds, then if he sees that the line to gain has been made, he stops the clock to set the chains. I have seen the tape, several times and from three different angles.

I'd have to defer to someone who saw the tape on that one. I was at the game as well, but my vision was blocked by the players, so I really couldn't say. You are accurate as it relates to the clock, though, if that is what happened.

I agree with your previous post. Officials do not make the game a win or loss, most of the time. You have to admit that a failure to make the right call, could be a difference maker in a tightly contested ball game. Like the players, the officials are not perfect.

I did see one of the holds, but I'm not sure about the other ones. And you are right on as it relates to tie goes to the offensive player on the controversial catch.

I have been a football official for 35 years and there have been many games where one team was penalized more than the other. I have also officiated games when we did not throw one flag alll night. the calls made at ooltewah were pretty obvious, I was standing of the sidelines and moving along with the play. And for all you folks who think they got the simultaneous catch wrong, the rule has always been, a simultaneous catch always goes to the offense. I was standing right in front of the play the correct call was made.

If you were standing there, then tell me that the offensive receiver didn't push our defender off to create space while the ball was still in the air. There should have been an offensive interference call on the play. Same receiver did it in the corner of the end zone earlier, although the pass was incomplete that time, he clearly pushed off.

No, it doesn't do one bit of good to 'cry' about the officiating. You can't do anything about it. The officials don't have to be accountable to anyone. For yo guys comparing this year's officiating to last years ... even last year at WB, we were called for twice as many penalties as you were.

Congratulations to Ooltewah. I have nothing bad to say about players or coaching staff ... you hung in there and got the win. You did your job.

Sorry about the WB folks who were bad sports. From my perspective, as a WB supporter, wearing orange and blue, walking off the field with my wife and kids, I was "taunted" 4 - 5 times by your folks. 3 times by students, 2 by adults. I was simply on the field to try to make sure WB kids got their butts off the field and that they shut their mouths. One guy (adult wearing a Soddy Daisy booster club shirt) told me to get my a** off the field before he kicked it. He said this with my kids with me and without me saying a word to him. Only my daughter and the Lord Jesus Christ kept him from finding out if he really could have or not. :lol:

You go somewhere to play, you lose in the last seconds, it at least "seems" like every call works against you (11 - 2 in penalities) ... it's hard not to feel like you got robbed. Not by Ooltewah ... but by a refereeing crew. I appologize to the good folks at Ooltewah for the way many WB suppporters responded.

Good luck the rest of the way. I truly hope we get to play you again. Even if it is at Ooltewah, it will be with a "shipped in" TSSAA refereeing crew. In the exact same way that many of you say "officiating" determined the outcome of the game last year at WB, I contend the same to be true this year. But that happens. Two different times, if we can convert short yardage situations, we win. We'll get there.

Owlbino,

Thanks for your class act. Other posters (on both sides) have been acting stupid with their comments. This was a good one.

I wouldn't say that WB got cheated overall. But the refs were certainly in need of a refresher course or too. They called several calls for the wrong side and then had to correct it. Plus, and I couldn't see accurately from my angle on the WB side, it seemed like WB had 2 or 3 seconds left when the fans stormed the field. Why the refs didn't stop the clock is beyond me. I can only guess that they thought he was inbounds, but it seemed that he did.

Where I think most WB fans are upset are the personal fouls and holding calls that got called on the last possession or two. There were holds that could have been called all night on both sides, but they seemed to start at the end. And I don't know why WB would get personals when they were in the drivers seat. (i.e., one first down and the clock runs out). But the fact that the ref kept pointing to the wrong side of the field just smacked of amateurishness. Also, a review of the film would probably show that he put a little more "ooomph" in his calls against the visiting team. That seemed bad.

All in all it was a great game. I don't think anyone can dismiss WB this year. I would guess that the poster who said that WB would go into the cellar with Bradley, McMinn, etc., really was shocked. In fact, no one can convince me that the Ooltewah fans weren't surprised ... they were much too quiet during all but the last minute of the game. That's probably why the fans erupted onto the field .... most of them thought they were beat.

In fact, to be honest, Ooltewah is not going to walk into the region championship. They have an easier path, but with WB shutting down a lot of the running game (was #5 hurt.... he wasn't a big factor after he got up a little gimpy) and with the interceptions on the passing game, I think the Owls may not get past both Farragut and OR.

YOU ALSO THOUGHT THE GOVE WOULD WIN THIS GAME :D

? Guess the schedule on www.williamblountfootball.com is incorrect

This is what they have:

JV Games (Mondays 7:30pm)

8/21 Sevier County W 39 - 6

8/28 at Lenoir City W 27 - 6

9/4 open -

9/11 open -

9/18 at Ooltewah -

Freshman Games (Mondays 5:30pm)

8/21 Sevier County W 22 -8

8/28 at Lenoir City W 18 - 0

9/4 open -

9/11 open -

9/18 at Ooltewah -

Yes it is incorrect. I was told it was too far to travel. So the frosh Owls thumped the Blue Raiders instead. Ooltewah has the best freshman team they have ever had.

? Guess the schedule on www.williamblountfootball.com is incorrect

This is what they have:

JV Games (Mondays 7:30pm)

8/21 Sevier County W 39 - 6

8/28 at Lenoir City W 27 - 6

9/4 open -

9/11 open -

9/18 at Ooltewah -

Freshman Games (Mondays 5:30pm)

8/21 Sevier County W 22 -8

8/28 at Lenoir City W 18 - 0

9/4 open -