Rushing Leaders in Chattanooga

oldtimeballer63

I agree with ImaOwl...every year you see all kinds of kids who average around 130 yards a game all over the state. I wouldn't say that is above average if there are a whole lot of kids who reach that mark every year. I'd say something that is really above average is someone who does something you don't see every day. I mean last year over the first 5 games, DeWayne Caldwell was averaging over 200 yards a game, that is a lot more impressive than 130 yds a game. After saying all of this, I'm not trying to say that these kids aren't any good because cooper wouldn't be going to Knoxville next year if he didn't have talent. But if you say oh well he will go and get his 130 yards against McCallie like that is something incredible, its not, it is average.

I think that one of the most important things to consider and throw into the mix is how many times a kid touches the ball- If cooper 'only' averages 150 yards a game but he does it on 15 carries a game and averages 8,9 10 yards a carry- that is what makes it impressive- If you have a kid who doesn't average many yards a game it could be because that team is very balanced- but yards per carry is an important stat to look at!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said and thought of. Cooper is averaging 7.2 yards per carry.

I think that one of the most important things to consider and throw into the mix is how many times a kid touches the ball- If cooper 'only' averages 150 yards a game but he does it on 15 carries a game and averages 8,9 10 yards a carry- that is what makes it impressive- If you have a kid who doesn't average many yards a game it could be because that team is very balanced- but yards per carry is an important stat to look at!!

Well said and thought of. Cooper is averaging 7.2 yards per carry.

Baylor has played a moderate schedule at best with an 8-19 combined opponents record, that being said Cooper is one of only a couple players on that team with above average talent or experience.. so while they have not had a horribly tough schedule, 7.2 yards per carry is amazing considering what Cooper has around him. I believe Riggs had almost 10 yards a carry the year they won state.. but he had so much talent around him that year, the next year they moved down to 4A and still finished with 8 or 9 wins minus most of the players from the state team simply because he was still a machine down the sidelines..

Taking your game to the next level and being consistant requires more than athleticism.. it requires being a sponge.. Riggs is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and I believe it simply takes him longer to grasp things, by the time he began to, he got injured.. He still has a shot in the NFL but I dont know if they will give him the time he needs to grasp the system..

Cooper will do great at the next level.. regardless of his numbers here, simply because he will have the talent around him to compliment his game.. and very few make it out of a school like Baylor with less than adequate smarts..

You are so right. Baylor has a good team but a small line and a very young line. Definately not the talent that Riggs had at Red Bank when he played. Cooper does much on his own and that is what really makes him impressive. Also like you said he is an intelligent guy and very well spoken...this will help him at a big time level. The other guy said he will not play running back at UT....maybe...maybe not. Whatever he does he will excel because he has the talent, size, smarts and want to.

Baylor has played a moderate schedule at best with an 8-19 combined opponents record, that being said Cooper is one of only a couple players on that team with above average talent or experience.. so while they have not had a horribly tough schedule, 7.2 yards per carry is amazing considering what Cooper has around him. I believe Riggs had almost 10 yards a carry the year they won state.. but he had so much talent around him that year, the next year they moved down to 4A and still finished with 8 or 9 wins minus most of the players from the state team simply because he was still a machine down the sidelines..

Taking your game to the next level and being consistant requires more than athleticism.. it requires being a sponge.. Riggs is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and I believe it simply takes him longer to grasp things, by the time he began to, he got injured.. He still has a shot in the NFL but I dont know if they will give him the time he needs to grasp the system..

Cooper will do great at the next level.. regardless of his numbers here, simply because he will have the talent around him to compliment his game.. and very few make it out of a school like Baylor with less than adequate smarts..

Cooper won't play running back for the vols... I see them moving him to linebacker or fullback..

And I am SURE he wouldn't play running back for the Owls. They surely wouldn't let a kid run the ball that "only" averages 150 yards a game. You Owl fans are really something. You have a couple of good seasons after 50+ lousy ones and all you can do is talk about how average everyone else is. Win a gold ball or reel off 15-20 winning seasons and THEN toot your own horn.

What the heck are you talking about kid? I stated my opinion. Who said anything about him not playing for Ooltewah? You need to chill out. Someone on here said that Cooper was averaging 130 yards a game this year and I stated an opinion in which I think 130 yards a game is average for a High School runningback. Ooltewah has had tons of successful seasons back in the 60's 70's and 80's. You need to just quit whining and enjoy your lost to McCallie tonight!

Maybe you need to reread what was said. No one said that Coop averages 130 yards a game....what was said is that he rushed for 130 yards against McCallie...which you said was average. Obviously your definition of average and most peoples differs.

What the heck are you talking about kid? I stated my opinion. Who said anything about him not playing for Ooltewah? You need to chill out. Someone on here said that Cooper was averaging 130 yards a game this year and I stated an opinion in which I think 130 yards a game is average for a High School runningback. Ooltewah has had tons of successful seasons back in the 60's 70's and 80's. You need to just quit whining and enjoy your lost to McCallie tonight!

How easy you lose your cool. I guess if anyone needs corrected it is you. First of all no one on here said he averages 130yards a game...you obviously read it wrong...look again. Also you said that UT will not have him at running back...probably fullback. Again, he is already a fullback. I am not sure why you have been so up in arms over the thread about Cooper being so good. What has been stated by others are facts. As for facts...I am glad that Ooltewah has had tons of successful seasons in the 60's. 70's and 80's. Tell us more about that. Just curious.

You know I probably should not even respond to this guy but how immature for you to tell someone else to quit whining and enjoy your lose. How trivial. You are the only on this thread that for someone the mention of a great back going to a big time SEC school next year seems to just tick you off. I hope that others will just not respond to you anymore on this thread and take your comments for what they are worth. Nonsense.

Updated list of Rushing Leaders (yards per game avg) in Chattanooga (9/29):

Name School G Att Yds TDs YPC YPG

Chas Scruggs, Lookout Valley 5 99 789 9 8 157.8

Kevin Cooper, Baylor 5 104 752 5 7.2 150.4

Kameron Ridley, Temple 4 48 561 4 9.9 140.25

Brian Marshall, Ooltewah 5 106 638 7 6 127.6

Charles Hardy, Hixson 5 57 532 7 9.3 106.4

Joey Skogen, Temple 5 50 518 5 10.4 103.6

Josh Smith, Temple 3 46 304 3 6.6 101.33

Otis Rumph, Tyner 5 51 439 7 8.6 87.8

Josh Blake, Grace 6 85 516 12 6.1 86

Anthony Conney, McCallie 5 69 398 4 5.8 79.6