Running up the score!

orangemoundnorth

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I sat here and read the posts in this thread, I remember when I was a sophomore in HS my team lost a game by a score of 66 to 6. My HS, at the time, had only won 4 games in the prior 4 seasons. This was my 1st year in HS and we had a new coach who was trying to turn the program around. Eventually, our program got better and better. But ... that one loss, was by far, one of the worst experiences I had ever been through. It was humiliating, demoralizing, and downright unbearable. Not only did we get obliterated on the field ... but it was even worse during the course of the year having to deal with the jeers and degrading comments from our peers at school. I wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy. These young men could be scared for life. At least, that year, we scratched out 4 wins. We had something to cling to. When everybody told us how bad we were. How terrible we were. How worthless we were. We had some victories to hang our hat on. We had some HOPE. Both Memphis Southside and Memphis Northside have been bad for a while. both are winless ... again ... this season, and it doesn't look like it'd going to get any better.

If there are any young men out there who play football for either programs, especially Memphis Northside. I want to offer up some words of encouragement to you. Don't quit. Keep fighting. Believe in yourselves. Right now ... it would be easy to quit. DON'T! Somebody has to be there to turn this thing around. I know there are going to be some cruel comments from your fellow students. Ignore the degrading remarks and keep pushing ahead. KEEP YPUR HEADS UP. It takes guts to play on teams that haven't won in a long while. I know the communities you guys come from, and there is nothing but trouble in the streets. Keep your nose to the grindstone! I know it looks dismal now, but you will be better men in the future if you stick it out till the end.

Keep the faith!

Ridgeway had a game like that my sons freshman year(he is a senior now)with Booker T Washington,it was like 85-0 but what do you do?we pulled the starters early,you cant tell the players who play 2nd and 3rd string not to try.The freshman team actually got in and was driving the ball downfield as time run out.I dont know what could have been differently.

Ok, this will make me highly unpopular, but what the heck. What can you do? Tell your second and third and fourth team (on down to your middle school team if it comes to that) to run their plays, and when the get to the opponent's 10, down the ball four times. They'll hate you for it, because they have worked hard in two a days and want to get some glory too. But maybe, when they're older, they'll realize that they learned some compassion by not generating a nationally broadcast score against a group of young boys (remember, 15, 16, 17, they are still children) whose only sin was to be part of an apparently inept football team.

Or has the idea of high school sports as a place to learn lessons for later in life completely died?

I agree with you. High School sports is about learning lessons. Northside learned they stink. Lesson learned. If that's the worst thing that ever happens to them, they can consider themselves lucky people.

Ok, this will make me highly unpopular, but what the heck. What can you do? Tell your second and third and fourth team (on down to your middle school team if it comes to that) to run their plays, and when the get to the opponent's 10, down the ball four times. They'll hate you for it, because they have worked hard in two a days and want to get some glory too. But maybe, when they're older, they'll realize that they learned some compassion by not generating a nationally broadcast score against a group of young boys (remember, 15, 16, 17, they are still children) whose only sin was to be part of an apparently inept football team.

Or has the idea of high school sports as a place to learn lessons for later in life completely died?