Mcminn at Farragut

baller141

kind of off topic, but since this is the most recent mcminn thread... why was the 3rd and 1 play call last week such a bad call? i guess because it didn't work. because had it worked it would have been a great call, huh? what's the difference in going for the big play on 2nd and 1 than 3rd and 1 when you're in 4 down territory? surely coach D was figuring they could always pick up the 1st on 4th down with #2 carrying the football. mcminn fans are saying we should throw more. what better scenario than a 3rd and 1 where everyone in the stadium is keying #2? you can't have it both ways. any throw can end up in an INT, what difference does it make if it is 1st and 10 or 3rd and 1. would it have been a bad call had mcminn picked up the first then threw a bomb that was intercepted? i doubt it. mcminn fans must not have noticed that the receiver had at least 5 yards on the cb and the qb had time to throw. i personally thought it was a good call. would have been much better had the qb and receiver hooked up, though.

Hey 8ball up to that point in the game nothing good has happened for the team except that drive. We were moving the ball in big chunks before that play. I wish we could have been a little more patient in that series like in the 2half. Don't get me wrong I would do the same thing if I already had a lead.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is that McMinn has just as much talent as Farragut, and the Cherokees have one of the best running backs in the state in Mr. McDermott. However, Farragut has better game coaching and better special teams......so Farragut will prevail.

I don't know about the special teams....McMinn has done a good job except for the KO return for the TD last week.

I don't know about the special teams....McMinn has done a good job except for the KO return for the TD last week.

And it's that "except" that I'm referring to about Farragut being a better coached team and playing more disciplined on special teams. I have talked to a lot of high school coaches who would love to be coaching McMinn this year. If John Mullinax were still coaching there, McMinn would finish no worse than second in the Region, and may go to at least the third round of the state playoffs. The Cherokees have an abundance of talent, but good game-coaching decisions and teamwork is visibly missing. In spite of all that, McDermott should be playing somewhere in the SEC next year. I think his best years are ahead of him, and I hope he's not overlooked because of McMinn's probable losing record this year.

And it's that "except" that I'm referring to about Farragut being a better coached team and playing more disciplined on special teams. I have talked to a lot of high school coaches who would love to be coaching McMinn this year. If John Mullinax were still coaching there, McMinn would finish no worse than second in the Region, and may go to at least the third round of the state playoffs. The Cherokees have an abundance of talent, but good game-coaching decisions and teamwork is visibly missing. In spite of all that, McDermott should be playing somewhere in the SEC next year. I think his best years are ahead of him, and I hope he's not overlooked because of McMinn's probable losing record this year.

They sure have some tallent besides Mcdermott they have a big OL # 55 moves well . # 49 LB is a good tallent and #99 TE/DE can play too.

i find it interesting that mcminn fans are quick to wish for mullinax to be back after mcminn's two losses. yet, they expect coach D to do something (beat a monroe coached team) mullinax never did. and PLEASE don't show your ignorance by stating how much talent this team has. mullinax had some great talent some too. throw into the mix that mcminn was expected to do something that only has happened once in 25+ years, beat cleveland in cleveland.

let the season play out mcminn fans. your expectations have been extremely high, as they should be. don't get me wrong, i felt like this team could win every game. i just didn't expect them to. they have played well most of the time this year, a few big plays have made the difference. they dominated against the team they should have (chatt central) and were in the two games against quality opponents (ooltewah and cleveland). something we haven't seen since 2003.

I hope so baller141. farragut is traditionally big up front and i'm sure this year is no different. i actually hope mcminn scores quickly a few times. high school football games are usually won on big plays. just take a look at the last two weeks for the tribe: the owls got at least 2 of 3 TDs on big plays (i forget the third) - one long run by marshall and one busted pass assignment. last week cleveland got all 3 TDs on big plays-a long run by the qb, a long catch and run by a WR, and then the KO return. long drives are great, but many times they just end up with nothing. too many opportunities for things to go wrong. a couple of long drives to show their ability to be physical against big teams and a couple of quick TDs to show their explosiveness would be great. i'd take 28 points from the offense.

At this point I just want to see a win againist a "quality" team something that has not happened since 2003. We talk about potential, mistakes, and coaching but the bottom line is can we beat a team that is the same quality or better then our own team.

I believe once this team starts having some fun and lets their ability take over that they should be able to line up with anybody on their schedule. Good luck TRIBE!

At this point I just want to see a win againist a "quality" team something that has not happened since 2003. We talk about potential, mistakes, and coaching but the bottom line is can we beat a team that is the same quality or better then our own team.

I believe once this team starts having some fun and lets their ability take over that they should be able to line up with anybody on their schedule. Good luck TRIBE!

I would go along with that. My definition of a successful season is winning the games you're supposed to. A good season is winning those and then beating someone you're not supposed to. Although I expected McMinn to be at least 2-1, I think you would be hard pressed to say McMinn was supposed to beat Ooltewah and Cleveland after coming off of two 3-7 seasons. Could they have? Sure. Did they think they could? Probably. Did the fans expect them to? Obviously. I don't think McMinn is off track yet. But they definitely haven't started down the road to a good season just yet, either. A win this Friday nite against a team they are supposed to lose to (easy McMinn fans, just stating facts. I mean farragut was one of the top teams in the region and state last year and they have many returning starters) would put them on pace for a good year. Good luck Cherokees!