Which School has Produced the Most All State Players

bratman

My early guess is Brentwood, Sullivan South or Germantown.

Here is Anderson County's.

Pam Humphrey

Karen Pressley

Leigh Ann Humphrey

Susie Hawkins

Kim Ohmstead (2)

Deanna Hatmaker

Amber Andrews

Melanie Templin (2)

Rachel Templin (3)

Lori Purkey (2)

Amy Eckerly (3)

Abby Jo Humphrey (2)

Megan Pheiler (2)

Marcia Harmon (2)

Randi Mellon (2)

Christy Hicks

Brooke Irwin

Jayme Wheeler

Jenny Phillips

Amanda Wallace

Stephanie Shelby

Lindsay Hall

Ashley Thayer (2)

Keely Bollinger (2)

Maia Ferry (2)

Thats 39 selections.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All State selections are made bt the TSWRA, The Tennessee Sports Writers Association. We don't have local coverage at Anderson County, and our newspaper in Clinton doesn't get to vote. Nor do we get any coverage out of Knoxville. Our selections come almost exclusively from middle tenn papers that cover, and Know, high school volleyball. Still, we have had some glaring ommissions over the years. Last season Brittany Carter, who was selected to the all-state tournament team, and is our all-time kills leader, as well as Miranda Robbins, a three year starter, were left off?

Also, AC currently has several ladies that should be named to all-state team before they leave:

Senior - Miranda Robbins may be the best libero this state has ever produced

Juniors - Ashley Pittman and Jordan Bollinger, I think they are the best "pair" of OH's in East Tenn. Wolf and Benordin are the only local OH's any better. Kelsey Leffew is the best 'junior' setter in East Tenn.

Soph - Alex Sain is a first year MB (had to move position when the Dupree sisters transferred) who can touch 9'10" and next to Josie Haun is the best decathalete that the school has produced. Kelsey Dew plays off-setter, and is lightning fast.

All of these girls will play in college.

Finally, AC starts a freshman at MB (Jenny Pittman) who if she progresses like she should has all-state wrtitten all over her.

Also, AC currently has several ladies that should be named to all-state team before they leave:

Senior - Miranda Robbins may be the best libero this state has ever produced

Juniors - Ashley Pittman and Jordan Bollinger, I think they are the best "pair" of OH's in East Tenn. Wolf and Benordin are the only local OH's any better. Kelsey Leffew is the best 'junior' setter in East Tenn.

Soph - Alex Sain is a first year MB (had to move position when the Dupree sisters transferred) who can touch 9'10" and next to Josie Haun is the best decathalete that the school has produced. Kelsey Dew plays off-setter, and is lightning fast.

All of these girls will play in college.

Finally, AC starts a freshman at MB (Jenny Pittman) who if she progresses like she should has all-state wrtitten all over her.

I think your loyalty and support for your team is awesome, but think you might "perhaps" sometimes let your loyalty affect your judgement. I want to be careful here not to insult the player because she is a fine player, but no way will your libero be the "best" the state has EVER produced. That's a mighty big statement! I've seen her twice now and she's a very good player, but NO player will be the best in the state history, at that position in particular, that didn't have at least 3-4 club seasons under their belt. Probably would take even more than that, because no volleyball skill takes longer to master than judging a serve and accurately passing the ball on serve receive in my opinion.

Just wondering if you watched the Mira Costa/Assumption match I linked here. Check out the passing and speed of the game compared to a "typical" top TN match. Will blow your mind as far as ball control. Sure does mine! Both of those teams could defeat the majority if D1 programs in my opinion. Not the top 50, but any lower than that they would give fits. Mira Costa might even beat a top 25 because they have 6'5" Klineman and several other tall girls. Check it out if you haven't yet. It's still at the link below.

https://www.iseesports.tv/durango/

KY, this is where you miss the boat. First, this only the 2nd year that TN has had the libero for tournament play. It is NOT a big statement to say Miranda is the best libero produced in those Two Years.

Second, your view of AC and TN volleyball may be a little skewed. No question that Louisville is a hot bed of volleyball for the country, not just the south. The same cannot be said for the rest of KY. The only time you have seen Miranda as a libero would have been last year, and maybe a game this year. (You saud earlier that you only saw a little of AC) Last year you probably were'nt wowed by our libero, because nobody we played really hit the ball. Where she is impressive is against a team that really attacks. Take for example last season when AC played Assumption (a KY team that just kill) in a two game match she had over 25 digs, against big time hitters. The Assumption coach commented that Miranda was the best he'd seen.

KY, it is possible to be good and not play club. What club does is that it takes marginal athletes and helps them to become good players by LOTS of playing time. Great athletes are great athletes. AC has had many girls go onto Division 1, that have nevr played club.

Look at this list. Karen Pressley was a 3 year starter at Tenn Tech and OVC player of the year. No club. Leah Thurman was a two time all american, no club. Kim Ohmstead started as a freshman setter in college, no club. Jolly, Wheeler, Wallace, Mellon, Harmon, Hall all became great college players, but never played club.

KY, it is great that some girls have the opportunity to play club. I agree that many girls couldn't play without club. Some girls don'y have the money or parents who have the time to play club. This does not diminish their ability, or what they accomplish.

Just to correct you, AC didn't play Assumption, you played Presentation. HUGE difference if you watch the Assumption match link. Presentation is very good, but probably about the level of Brentwood. They are not at the level of Assumption(few are), Mercy, or Sacred Heart. I believe Ivolly would back me up on that opinion.

No way Chuck Ashmoff commented she was the best he had seen. He's now a D1 coach and has been a KIVA coach for years. Unless you heard it from him personally, somebody is taking some liberties with that conversation. Perhaps the best he had seen in that tournament, but definately not the best he had seen. Again she's a fine player, so I'm trying not to to be unkind here.

With regards to the libero position, I just regard it as a DS. I assumed it to mean you thought she will be the best passer TN has ever seen. I'm sure some very good TN DS's went on to play libero in college. Still doubt she is the best libero in TN "now" considering there has to be at least one from that Impact national championship team or 17-1 team playing somewhere, but you can believe what you want to believe. She's still a fine player, but that's a mighty big statement in my opinion. I'm glad you support your girls though.

This is NOT meant to be some kind of club debate whether some can afford it or not. This is a skills debate regarding whether a nonclub player can be a better passer than a multiyear club DS. I contend that's just not possible. Definately possible at a hitting position involving a very tall athletic girl, but not at the DS or setter position where fundamentals are so important and take "time" and "repetition" to develop. Although it's definately true nonclub players can get scholarships and play in college, from what I've seen from those kind of teams that have those players is that they struggle against the ones that do. I'll just leave it at that. No more debating club on this thread from me.

Edited by KYdigsTN

Thanks for the correction on the teams!

Still, no way I can agree that someone that doesn't play club can never be as good as a club player. KY, TN is a HUGE women's basketball state because of the Lady Vols. Without question girls high school basketball draws almost all of the top athletes. That keeps several of these girls from playing club. I have seen many of these non-club players out play lesser athletes who don't play club.

You can't discount the valus of athleticism. A great athlete who only plays highs school will always beat an average athlete that also plays club (if the great athlete gets great instruction.)

I do not think you are in a position to evaluate this player.

With regards to that little dig(pardon the pun), that nobody you played last year that I saw really hit the ball. I saw your team play Lafayette and they DID hit the ball. The fact was nobody on that team could pass it well enough for your team to win that match. That was the reality of that match. I was there.

I did see your team play for about a third of a game this year and several games last year. I do believe I'm in a position to evaluate the player. My opinion is she is very good, but not the best in your state. That's all.

Edited by KYdigsTN

Just to correct you, AC didn't play Assumption, you played Presentation. HUGE difference if you watch the Assumption match link. Presentation is very good, but probably about the level of Brentwood. They are not at the level of Assumption(few are), Mercy, or Sacred Heart. I believe Ivolly would back me up on that opinion.

No way Chuck Ashmoff commented she was the best he had seen. He's now a D1 coach and has been a KIVA coach for years. Unless you heard it from him personally, somebody is taking some liberties with that conversation. Perhaps the best he had seen in that tournament, but definately not the best he had seen. Again she's a fine player, so I'm trying not to to be unkind here.

With regards to the libero position, I just regard it as a DS. I assumed it to mean you thought she will be the best passer TN has ever seen. I'm sure some very good TN DS's went on to play libero in college. Still doubt she is the best libero in TN "now" considering there has to be at least one from that Impact national championship team or 17-1 team playing somewhere, but you can believe what you want to believe. She's still a fine player, but that's a mighty big statement in my opinion. I'm glad you support your girls though.

This is NOT meant to be some kind of club debate whether some can afford it or not. This is a skills debate regarding whether a nonclub player can be a better passer than a multiyear club DS. I contend that's just not possible. Definately possible at a hitting position involving a very tall athletic girl, but not at the DS or setter position where fundamentals are so important and take "time" and "repetition" to develop. Although it's definately true nonclub players can get scholarships and play in college, from what I've seen from those kind of teams that have those players is that they struggle against the ones that do. I'll just leave it at that. No more debating club on this thread from me.

The libero for the IMPACT 17-1 team is doing her thing at Centennial while the little Libero from the 15-1 National Championship team is playing libero at Father Ryan as a freshmen. Rare at that school. Both are excellent players.

Announcements