Dyersburg at Crockett County

Augielio

Crockett County 28

Dyersburg 14

A tremendous football game in Alamo. Crockett County played a flawless first half and at one point had a 21-0. The Cavaliers have much talent and they played with a purpose. They deserved to win.

-The crowd: Tremendous. All seats filled and fans ringing the track on three sides. And there were roars on every play, from one side of the stadium or the others. It was good to see that in the age of Jerry Springer and Oprah, people could wrap themselves emotionally around two high school football teams. Looked like the crowds of the 1960's and early 1970's. The Crockett County fans were vocal but polite.

Crockett County played a great defensive game. Their pursuit was relentless. They do not have any players as fast as Dyersburg's Caldwell, Taylor, or Thompson, but they are plenty quick, and their overall team quickness is as good as Dyersburg's.

Now, let me throw a couple of rotten eggs on a night when high school football did itself proud.

I hate to see the Trojans lose anytime, but if they had to lose, I am glad to see a deserving opponent lead that victory. Craig Massey did that for Crockett County.

Some person or people on this board had trashed him in posts, calling him a player who choked under pressure. That dismayed me and most other people, even causing his mother to join this board just to defend her son. That should never have been necessary. The poster(s) have disgraced themselves. I think they should quit Coach T due to lack of manners and lack of knowledge of football. Massey was the difference and I hope he can remember this night always.

Even worse (to a Dyersburg supporter) was the behavior of the Dyersburg crowd.

I have lived in Dyersburg 40 years and we have tremendous sports fans here. They support our team well. So, imagine my amazement as I watched from the pressbox as Dyersburg fans (?) began to leave in droves with about 2:00 left in the game, after the Dyersburg drive failed and the Trojans turned the ball over to Corckett County down 21-14. The chance to win was gone, and the fans turned their backs on the team. You don't abandon your hometown players because they have lost an emotional and hard-fought game. You don't do that. These same people have supported the team in many other ways--booster club, feeding them,

cheering for them, but there is still more to being a fan. You can bet that if Dyersburg had been winning, they would not have left. These deserters would have been down on the field congratulating "their" Trojans. The "we" word would have kicked in, as in "we won." Well, they're our Trojans when they are losing, too.

I don't think fans should leave athletic events before the end, but if you must leave a game, for gosh sakes, leave when you are far ahead, not when you are on the brink of losing. Our football team deserves more class than our fans showed on

Friday night.

Dyersburg lost because Crockett outplayed us. Dyersburg got off to a rocky start (21-0), due to great execution by Crockett County, the roaring crowd, and --I suspect, due to the fact that Dyersburg had not played a big game against a top quality opponent on the road since October, 2004.

Congrats to Crockett County. You earned it. Maybe we'll meet again before the snows fall.

Edited by Augielio

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is a classy post.

Certain Dyersburg posters who shall remain nameless could learn several lessons from you, Augielio.

I know what ya mean.

Your radio show yesterday wasn't kind of directed toward posters that "shall remain nameless" was it? In any event I think it was a much needed show. Someone should have said something about the 16-17 year old players taking abuse too. Line was busy or I would have.

I know what ya mean.

Your radio show yesterday wasn't kind of directed toward posters that "shall remain nameless" was it? In any event I think it was a much needed show. Someone should have said something about the 16-17 year old players taking abuse too. Line was busy or I would have.

As John's partner on the air, Thanks for the kinds words. We appreciate you listening and to echo his sentiment, give us a call anytime.

To answer your question, that's exactly the kind of posts the show was directed at, anonymous posts ripping coaches and players. It's easy to rip coaches and players behind a screen name, but for folks that feel that strongly about it, have you talked with the coaches or players about it? Gotta think it'd be hard to call a kid's house and get the kid's Dad to put him on the phone so that you can blast his interceptions, fumbles, poor decisions, etc...

Bottom line is that this is HS sports, and there's no place to criticize the performance of the players. They are not getting paid to play, they play because they love the game.

As for criticizing coaches, doing it on the Internet without your name attached to it is a classless move. Are coaches judged by their performance? Yes. Are they immune from criticism? No. But, if you don't like the job they're doing, attach your name to it, and talk with them about it.

For all of the would be coaches in the stand, it's important to remember that the call to go for it on fourth down, or the decision to go for two, or the decision to kick the FG instead of going for the TD, all of those decisions that the coach makes are decided on the basis of more information than any of the rest of us could possibly know. We don't know how kids look in practice, or what plays the coaching staff has been working on, or who may have a slight injury that impacts their play, or a whole host of other factors. Without that information, it's hard to walk a mile in the coaches shoes.

I stated on the other CC-D-BURG thread that some D-BURG fans needed to man-up and give props to the Cavs for having a really good team......They came to Troy and beat the Rebels handily and I didn't hear one fan bragging and spouting off on the way to the car...They could have...But they didn't.....I gave them props..They are a very impressive group from fans to coaches to players...

Augielio...I have to give it to you..That was a man size post..Great post...I knew all D-burg fans were not like some who have gotten on here and tried to give the Trojan Nation a bad name.... :thumb:

As for criticizing coaches, doing it on the Internet without your name attached to it is a classless move. Are coaches judged by their performance? Yes. Are they immune from criticism? No. But, if you don't like the job they're doing, attach your name to it, and talk with them about it.

I just had this discussion with another coacht poster last week. Its amazing the things people will say behind the shield of a computer screen. People that are 5'2 140 lbs turn into 6'4 245 behind a keyboard, the internet does more than steriods for most people.

Well, I listened to the game on my radio last nite. I did here some criticism on the part of the radio broadcasters, about Crockett County going for the touchdown with less than a minute to go in the game. That was the right call in my opinion, with just a 7 point lead any thing can happen. He was not running the score up as you too emplied. The coach was just trying to win the game. Now, if they had a pad lead, yes, that was not the right call, but that was not the case. I believe Counce would have done the same thing, if the shoe was on the other foot. Just my two scents worth, if you know what i mean?

I stated on the other CC-D-BURG thread that some D-BURG fans needed to man-up and give props to the Cavs for having a really good team......They came to Troy and beat the Rebels handily and I didn't hear one fan bragging and spouting off on the way to the car...They could have...But they didn't.....I gave them props..They are a very impressive group from fans to coaches to players...

Augielio...I have to give it to you..That was a man size post..Great post...I knew all D-burg fans were not like some who have gotten on here and tried to give the Trojan Nation a bad name.... :ph34r:

I too(as a Trojan fan) give my credit to Augielio for his great post and to the CAVS coaches,players,fans for being A CLASS ACT with the exception of of one of the Johnson twins(#6) who throughout the first half when Crockett had the upper hand repeatly trashed talked the Trojan defensive backs,however he was the one who broke the the Trojans back with his awesome moves and running ability in the second half due to Great blocking from his offensive linemen as hes the only Cav that didnt wear down when the Trojans were making a comeback and were well on their way to tying the game when a motion penatly(??) on a long pass reception caused the Trojans to be put once again in a long yardage situation and gave the Cavs the spark they needed to revive a Very Worn out Cavalier team that had lost its zest until the interception returned for long yardage with less than 2 minutes left in the game ! Less class was shown by the Cavs coaching staff (unexpected on my part) inside the 10 calling 2 timeouts in order to run up the score! Taking a chance like that could have destroyed their awesome play thoughout the night !! I must Whole-Heartly give my Kudos to the Cavs for a very good game plan excuted with perfection==coaching, players and their fans were as well mannered as any ive been around(I sit in the Cav bleachers and not one word said when I was rooting for the Trojans)! Massey proved his leadership ability,the linemen ("O" n "D") were tremedous and their overall team speed was awesome! Now you must prove yourself as Covington,Ripley,Haywood will test you! The Trojans must not look back as "em" Chotcaws,Chargers,Tomcats,Rebels are awaiting ! TO ALL ISNT THIS A GREAT YEAR FOR REGION 7-3A FOOTBALL! Once again the Best overall 3-A Region in the state Top To Bottom ! My Best Regards to the Cavs Down the Road as hopefuuly we"ll meet again !! :P:blink:

I too(as a Trojan fan) give my credit to Augielio for his great post and to the CAVS coaches,players,fans for being A CLASS ACT with the exception of of one of the Johnson twins(#6) who throughout the first half when Crockett had the upper hand repeatly trashed talked the Trojan defensive backs,however he was the one who broke the the Trojans back with his awesome moves and running ability in the second half due to Great blocking from his offensive linemen as hes the only Cav that didnt wear down when the Trojans were making a comeback and were well on their way to tying the game when a motion penatly(??) on a long pass reception caused the Trojans to be put once again in a long yardage situation and gave the Cavs the spark they needed to revive a Very Worn out Cavalier team that had lost its zest until the interception returned for long yardage with less than 2 minutes left in the game ! Less class was shown by the Cavs coaching staff (unexpected on my part) inside the 10 calling 2 timeouts in order to run up the score! Taking a chance like that could have destroyed their awesome play thoughout the night !! I must Whole-Heartly give my Kudos to the Cavs for a very good game plan excuted with perfection==coaching, players and their fans were as well mannered as any ive been around(I sit in the Cav bleachers and not one word said when I was rooting for the Trojans)! Massey proved his leadership ability,the linemen ("O" n "D") were tremedous and their overall team speed was awesome! Now you must prove yourself as Covington,Ripley,Haywood will test you! The Trojans must not look back as "em" Chotcaws,Chargers,Tomcats,Rebels are awaiting ! TO ALL ISNT THIS A GREAT YEAR FOR REGION 7-3A FOOTBALL! Once again the Best overall 3-A Region in the state Top To Bottom ! My Best Regards to the Cavs Down the Road as hopefuuly we"ll meet again !! :lol::lol:

The Cavaliers did not call any time outs in the last 2 minutes to my knowledge. At no point did I see a timeout signalled by Crockett County.

And yes, #6 has been known to say some things during a game that he shouldn't, but I can tell you that Dyersburg's #21 did nore than his share and got the whole ball rolling yacking at #5 in the first quarter.

I don't excuse any trash talking by a Cavalier player- that is not what they are taught. But please don't be blind and think the trash-talking was one-sided, because it was not.

And running your offense in the last two minutes of the game when the opponent is down seven and still has timeouts is generally not considered running up the score. Unless, of course, you are on the short end of the score. Coach Counce would have done the same thing in the same situation, and I would have thought no less of him as a coach.

Crockett County 28

Dyersburg 14

Now, let me throw a couple of rotten eggs on a night when high school football did itself proud.

I hate to see the Trojans lose anytime, but if they had to lose, I am glad to see a deserving opponent lead that victory. Craig Massey did that for Crockett County.

Some person or people on this board had trashed him in posts, calling him a player who choked under pressure. That dismayed me and most other people, even causing his mother to join this board just to defend her son. That should never have been necessary. The poster(s) have disgraced themselves. I think they should quit Coach T due to lack of manners and lack of knowledge of football. Massey was the difference and I hope he can remember this night always.

I am the one who dogged massey on the other thread, and the next day I apologized for what i said and gave Craig his due. He stepped up to the plate bigtime, and i don't remember a cavalier quarterback looking that good against such a good team since i have been a fan. I hated that i hurt his mothers feelings with my opinions, and i am truly grateful for her gracious forgiveness. However, there is no justifying what i said, and i hope i can steer clear of controversy for a long time. Your post and your team are both very classy, and i wish ya'll luck throughout the season. Congrats and thanks to both sides for a great atmosphere and a great game!