Top keeper in the past 10 years? (Middle Tennessee)

RCola123

Gordon G. thanks for the intelligent conversation. Good luck to Anna (for real) and good luck to Franklin . You need it.

I'm happy to listen to intelligent conversation. :lol: Generally intelligent conversation involves just that. :lol: If you'll re-read my input I simply pointed out just a few of the flaws (I left out some direct specific issues...and no these did not effect my child directly, but observed them effecting others) .of something that should be a real positive.....It also seems my issues are not alone...several others seem to have some issues with ODP perfection.....cakes, the problem I have with your other comments (other than the pitiful veiled shot in the last round :thumb:) is that you do not seem to grasp that I was pointing out that it could and should be improved. Based on the things you have cited so far, it does not sound much better. Your statements that we are so much better than other states are 1. unsubstantiated with any facts, and 2. of no concern...we're talking about Tennessee. Now just one simple example...without going into several others. You cite that club coaches do not coach their own age group......I have seen a club coach who coached a younger age group.....load the ODP team with members of his "old team" when coaching an older ODP bracket....that blows a lot of the credibility....particularly with the players. Maybe it does not happen anymore, but (now pay attention) if we removed club coaches from the mix and went to only college coaches or brought club coaches from out of state it would be better for all. I thought part of the good was supposed exposure to the best players and new coaches that the kids might not have had before. Recycling old club coaches doesn't do that......now that is intelligently discussing an item and not attacking anyone personally... :blink: ...someone else started the personal attacks with a snipe regarding sour grapes from disgruntled parents....that is simply digressing not effectively pointing out the pros and cons of the issue. Also I don't know of anyone that defines a few as being 40% plus of anything. Cakes.... you seem to be infinately aware of every issue in ODP...is it perfect or are there some minor issues that might be tweeked to perfection???????? Or is is easier to focus on the messanger rather than the message? Just for reference, I do not know or care who cakes is/was/would be.....I was simply trying to get a discussion on what I see as flaws in ODP....not anything personal, but I expect reason in the missive....I certainly hope that no one believes they can intimidate me by identifying me...I stand by what I say on here and I am not afraid to be identified with what I post! ;)

Edited by flashgordon

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will send out some e-mails tonight to some parents that have kids in odp and see if they think odp helps goalie's or not

but my general opinion on this that it shouldn't matter if your goes naia or ncaa d1 or d2

because there's no pro ball instead of trying to put our kid at the highest level of soccer you should worried about the best education they can get of course soccer pay's for schooling

their is a bigger prize that some parents just don't get that

like right now i have a shelbyville parent mad at me that i don't consider her daughter a D1 prospect but last time i checked you can get a college eduacation at a naia school

unless they have stopped during that this year <_<

Edited by mjuhb

I agree with mujhb. Overall, there is only one good reason to play HS and club soccer. That's because you are having fun. This includes hard work and dedication to your sport and your team-mates. If you enjoy it, and feel that you would continue to do so in college, then by all means pursue those goals with a passion. If not, and you don't enjoy it now, it sure won't be fun later in college. And yes, an education may be even better at other schools, so D1 is not the 'ultimate', unless you set that out to be your goal. It is just like the NCAA commercial says, 99% of you will do something else after college other than sport. That is why the players need to enjoy the moment, set and achieve their goals with hopefully soccer as a means of paying the way while you enjoy (and work) your way through which ever school meets your needs.

As far as ODP goes, most players and parents I talk with don't seem to enjoy it, and feel they do not get their money's worth. It is also noticable that many of the top club players do not participate in ODP, so it is not necessarily the 'best of the best' which I have been led to believe. It may be more of asset to those that need the exposure, don't know, but just seems that way to me. I do feel that using different coaches would be preferrable with the least bias, and also a better teaching environment.

I agree with mujhb. Overall, there is only one good reason to play HS and club soccer. That's because you are having fun. This includes hard work and dedication to your sport and your team-mates. If you enjoy it, and feel that you would continue to do so in college, then by all means pursue those goals with a passion. If not, and you don't enjoy it now, it sure won't be fun later in college. And yes, an education may be even better at other schools, so D1 is not the 'ultimate', unless you set that out to be your goal. It is just like the NCAA commercial says, 99% of you will do something else after college other than sport. That is why the players need to enjoy the moment, set and achieve their goals with hopefully soccer as a means of paying the way while you enjoy (and work) your way through which ever school meets your needs.

As far as ODP goes, most players and parents I talk with don't seem to enjoy it, and feel they do not get their money's worth. It is also noticable that many of the top club players do not participate in ODP, so it is not necessarily the 'best of the best' which I have been led to believe. It may be more of asset to those that need the exposure, don't know, but just seems that way to me. I do feel that using different coaches would be preferrable with the least bias, and also a better teaching environment.

ODP is just another item for the resume. Great for some, unimportant for others. I don't think you'll ever see a college player who got there because of ODP as their only participation. Its just a part (everyone can determine the importnce of that part) of the overall package. As far as D1 or D2, a player can be pretty good in HS and club and get a lot of bench time in D1 OR be pretty good in HS and club and get a lot of playing time in D2. It should be about the educational opps. and not an extention for "soccer parents" to have four more years of game time. I watched Miss. play Notre Dame and saw very few subs. It was an eye opener for a parent of a sophomor who may never play college, but has been seen by several when playing up 3 yrs. and having the coaches ask for her resume', only to find out she was 14. Many are hungry for players and there is room for all who really have it in their gut after HS. Most of our girls have a better chance at being an astronant than a career in soccer. It seems sooooo important now, but how will you feel in 10 years??? AND, other than the "sport" of debate that we all enjoy here, why do so many feathers get ruffled. Looks like a public place where mostly parents can hide behind made up names and throw their complaints up and see if they stick. Like "cakes" and "flash" .... they could be one in the same and we all get stunk in. Too bad Lucy reruns are not on cable now so we could have some quality down time, but who am I, as I have become of the CoachT published. <_<

I agree soooo much with the last several posts. I tried to make some of those points in an earlier post. For most good players at the U-16 through U-18 divison 1 club levels and good high school players (which most of them will be) if they still love the game and want to take on the challenge in college there is a place for them. No doubt that ODP gets players looked at, which is what you want, but the school and coach needs to fit the player. For what they want in an education.

The right place may not be SEC, ACC or one of the other big schools, but the smaller Div 1, 2 and 3 NAIA opportunities in TN and south in general are outstanding. YOu can actually compete for a National Championship. Last years NAIA National Champion was Martin Methodist in Pulaski, TN. Or unless you are a truly elite player as very few are maybe 2 or 3 in TN, you can sit the bench for a couple of years and bust your hind end in practice and wait your turn.

It just boils down to what is right for the individual. ODP is not the be all to end all and the players are good but they are not the best in the State. Too many are just not interested in that program.

i will send out some e-mails tonight to some parents that have kids in odp and see if they think odp helps goalie's or not

but my general opinion on this that it shouldn't matter if your goes naia or ncaa d1 or d2

because there's no pro ball instead of trying to put our kid at the highest level of soccer you should worried about the best education they can get of course soccer pay's for schooling

their is a bigger prize that some parents just don't get that

like right now i have a shelbyville parent mad at me that i don't consider her daughter a D1 prospect but last time i checked you can get a college eduacation at a naia school

unless they have stopped during that this year B)

mjuhb:

My personal opinion, at this point in time, is that ODP does not help goalie's in TN during the initial eligibility period. My daughter has played at keeper for a TN club team for going on 5 years. We participated in ODP at U-13 and found the experience "lacking". It was disorganized and had difficulty remaining on any type of schedule, a number of hastily called training sessions (weather was a factor that year). Once we qualified for the program, we thought that this program was similar to a premier level of play versus a classic level of play but found that the majority of the participants were not from the "premier" teams. The training was not poor but it was definitely not informative for the goalie's, field player training seemed to be o.k. Based on the experience and club team scheduling, my daughter did not participate last year. She will apply for the program and attempt to participate this year and in the years going forward but not for the training. It will be for exposure. Quite honestly, at that position, individual training with a A licensed and experienced coach (preferably college, maybe pro, and /or college coach) will be the most beneficial to a keeper. That is where they develop the skills outlined by the fevercoach. Hopefully her experience will be positive as she goes forward and she will continue to develop to a level that may allow her an opportunity to play in college, if she continues to pursue that endeavor.

mjuhb:

My personal opinion, at this point in time, is that ODP does not help goalie's in TN during the initial eligibility period.

I could see this being true, but I will say that watching my keeper daughter in the last eligible year ('89), the benefit was facing the highlevel attacks in training and competition. Even though her club team (best in TN and committed to playig in the highest level tournaments) went to Little Rock this summer (where they played the best teams and played well), she would say that the Region camp was a challenging assesment and "wake-up" to where she is and can be. I strongly agree tha for a keeper, it's all about their local keeper trainer... and then getting in environments that allow them to face the best possible attackers.

Edited by papa-K