Munford@Covington

cougarmike

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me your insight on the game. Has it become bigger now that Munford is better. What do you think Covington.

I've seen both teams on film. If Munford can run the ball against JCM, they can certainly run it against Covington. Saw Covington early in the year. At that point, they did not appear to be as good as last year. Good speed, good pursuit on defense, but not a physical team. Hurting at QB. Coach Randall has made a difference at Munford, as all who knew him realized he would. Question marks about the defenses of both teams, since JCM's offense lacks both imagination and execution and Munford had no trouble containing it. Madison may be the difference maker in this game.

I've seen both teams on film. If Munford can run the ball against JCM, they can certainly run it against Covington. Saw Covington early in the year. At that point, they did not appear to be as good as last year. Good speed, good pursuit on defense, but not a physical team. Hurting at QB. Coach Randall has made a difference at Munford, as all who knew him realized he would. Question marks about the defenses of both teams, since JCM's offense lacks both imagination and execution and Munford had no trouble containing it. Madison may be the difference maker in this game.

He very well could be but covington's offense is deceptive and a defense must stay at home or you could give up a lot of big plays. How good is Covington in relation to Brighten and JCM?

He very well could be but covington's offense is deceptive and a defense must stay at home or you could give up a lot of big plays. How good is Covington in relation to Brighten and JCM?

Let me qualify my answer (guess, really) by saying that it is difficult to compare teams based on the information from seeing one or two films. Covington's offense is deceptive, but lacks a passing attack. The Wing T or Double Wing becomes a matter of stopping the FB trap, the "Buck Sweep" and an inside reverse to the WB which coaches call "Sally." Covington has those. Recently Wing T teams have gone to the double wing (looks like a Flexbone but doesn't use the option). Those teams have added the speed sweep and power sweep to the attack. Covington seems to lack the blocking to use the power sweep very well.

JCM has more talent than everybody in Tipton County combined (or most other counties), but they are virtually uncoached and quite undisciplined. They are the best of the 3 teams defensively.

Munford is, at this stage, unpredictable. Randall will get them there at some point.

Another factor is that Covington has a winning tradition, and if you haven't beaten someone in some time, it is difficult to believe you can until you do.

Brighton I have not seen except on one tape. I suspect that of the 4 teams we are talking about here, they are the weakest.

These are my opinions, but they are not firm ones. And, you know what they say about opinions...

I wouldn't want to have to bet the farm on this

Just musing here, but haven't we seen the "coach who pulled a big turnaround in memphis comes to a struggling west tennessee program" deal once already? Munford looks like this years fayette-ware in that regard.

As for the game, ii don't quite know who to pick. Don't really think munford can pull off two consecutive stunners, but covington always beats all the highly touted teams and then seems to lose to someone who isn't even on their level. It's a tossup, but i'll say covington by 7-10 points. Could go either way though.

Just musing here, but haven't we seen the "coach who pulled a big turnaround in memphis comes to a struggling west tennessee program" deal once already? Munford looks like this years fayette-ware in that regard.

As for the game, ii don't quite know who to pick. Don't really think munford can pull off two consecutive stunners, but covington always beats all the highly touted teams and then seems to lose to someone who isn't even on their level. It's a tossup, but i'll say covington by 7-10 points. Could go either way though.

Tim Tompson is at Fayette-Ware, he used to be at Melrose and was part of the East-Melrose battles against coach Randall but if you check the record books you would find coach Tompson came up short in these contests. Here is a question for you how many west Tennessee coaches have state titles attached to thier names. With that said I personnally am glad to have him at Munford for what he brings to the program in experience and class. I don't know how this year will end as far as wins and losses but we have already won more games this season then last and the quality of football is considerably better. So to answer your question no I don't think west Tennessee has seen this before and I for one am glad he's here for our program and most of all for our kids.

With the big Covington game just 10 hours away I would have thought more Covington people would have responded because it's been my experience that Covington fans love to voice thier views about how great thier chargers are. Maybe the charger faithful are a little concerned about tonight. I know the people and fans of Munford are tired of second fiddle and are ready to go up the road and take control of this series.

With the big Covington game just 10 hours away I would have thought more Covington people would have responded because it's been my experience that Covington fans love to voice thier views about how great thier chargers are. Maybe the charger faithful are a little concerned about tonight. I know the people and fans of Munford are tired of second fiddle and are ready to go up the road and take control of this series.

If the freshman game last night is any indication of what will happen tonight, then they don't have much to talk about.

Tim Tompson is at Fayette-Ware, he used to be at Melrose and was part of the East-Melrose battles against coach Randall but if you check the record books you would find coach Tompson came up short in these contests. Here is a question for you how many west Tennessee coaches have state titles attached to thier names. With that said I personnally am glad to have him at Munford for what he brings to the program in experience and class. I don't know how this year will end as far as wins and losses but we have already won more games this season then last and the quality of football is considerably better. So to answer your question no I don't think west Tennessee has seen this before and I for one am glad he's here for our program and most of all for our kids.

Oh undoubtedly this is a huge turnaround. For coach randall to upset jcm in year one is huge, and i think this is definitely a program -maybe THE program-to watch in west tenn to make a big turnaround sooner than expected. Good luck tonight!!!

You are right when you say coach randall brought a lot to munford including the players neede to make a difference

three families moved to Munford yes I said moved that means change of residence. I'm assuming that your applying that our coach has done something wrong or unethicial I'm sick of rumors or yes just talk from people who have their own agenda because their boy may not start or out fear that their school may be challenged, so they have nothing better or more productive to do then start rumors or ok out right lies that they know aren't true.

I guess nobody ever moves to Brighten or Covington from Memphis or any where else. It's interesting we've had young men to move into the area before this year with no problems what might be the difference? Maybe it's that we aren't the easy win that we've been in the past. I've been a cougar fan for a long time and from top to bottom this team works hard to improve, before they just wanted and talked about winning without paying the price. It seems like now they're really learning what it takes to be successful. Last I checked about 50 will be running through that sign tonight. As for the young men that transfered, they live here, their mothers and fathers packed up and moved to a community that has a better educational system and enviroment for their children. Would you do anything less for your children or would you like to watch the news a little and see the gang fights at Craigmont or the other day when Melrose was on the news with police cars carting off kids because of a fight that had about twenty involved. At East high the news trucks are constantly there. I know, why don't you enroll your child into Frayser I hear it's lovely this time of year. These are just examples of what we all know is going on in Memphis city schools I'm glad the parents of these young men chose our community because they are well spoken fine young men. Why is it a problem when parents want and have the means or even do with out to make thing better for their children. Guess what, they aren't the only ones, I bet if you checked Munford enrollments you would find students who transfered from other places as well but you don't care about them because they don't play anything or their sport isn't a threat to your school, team or if your child will be the star of mediocrity.

Edited by cougarmike

Oh undoubtedly this is a huge turnaround. For coach randall to upset jcm in year one is huge, and i think this is definitely a program -maybe THE program-to watch in west tenn to make a big turnaround sooner than expected. Good luck tonight!!!

Thank you, I know we as a team have to continue to improve, but it's good to be competitive and feel that we can go into covington and have a good chance of winning.