How to be a "great" line judge

TheGreatLineJudge

i attended a match this evening between Blackman Middle, Siegel Middle and Stewart Creek and as i got there, the parking lot was full and I thought something else was going on at the school. I walked in and found they arena had a good crowd already and it was 20 minutes before the match was to start so I thought I would check out what GLJ said about instructions Referees gave to line judges. It was like all of these people had read his instructions on this thread before they got there. Coach Stoecker, of Siegel had the Line Judges at the end of the court, the Referee had just started to talk to them and then you could see the motions and explanations she was giving each. It took about ten minutes with her pointing at areas of the floor. The two judges had called before and were not new.

They completed the instructions and the Referee went back to the scorers stand and compteted getting ready for the match to start. His explanation was text book and this referee, looking like she had read it too, was text book also. It was a good job and the matches went smoothly.

Siegel Middle, and Siegel High for that matter, has EXCELLENT line judges. Both Jim and Linda Horenkamp, in particular, are as good as they get and I would take their calls in any and every situation. SMS has a great asset in Kim Stoecker and I would consider her one of the best MS coaches in the mid-state.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TGLJ, I call quite a bit of lines in West TN and I know we are behind East & Middle TN in volleyball by listening to all of the people say so on here, but you forgot to add a few signals that we use over here that might be of some assistance down the road for you:

1. If I look up at the ref rubbing my fat belly, it means that I have worked all day, it is supper time and I need some food.

2. If I grab my crotch and stand knock kneed, I need a bathroom break before the next service point.

3. If I pull out a big ole pair of black frame thick lens glasses, it's gonna be a quick night for the visiting team.

LOL, seriously though, I want to thank anyone and everyone that volunteer's to help call the lines at the games. Not everyone is up to that task. It is much appreciated.

Hey, Great Line Judge, I didn't see any of the above signals used at the TOC in LaVergne this weekend. If needed, myself and the only other qualified line judge from West Tn can come over to Mid Tn and conduct classes prior to the State Tourney and provide a general scope of these and other "lost/forgotten" signals. A small nominal fee and travel expenses would be required along with some of those "championship" Chicken and Dumplin's that Brad Davis' mom couldn't get too this past weekend.

Do any TN volleyball matches use down refs? I know that adds additional cost per match. In KY we pay 2 refs for all matches-FR, JV, V, and tournaments. Lafayette has played at Page Tourney the last two years and they only had up ref. Maybe went with up and down late in the tourney.

Without a down ref there is a lot more responsibility on LJ's to pay close attention. I don't believe that I've seen LJ's who only made calls for their own team. I'm sure it might happen, but most people are fair when entrusted with this job. The most important thing is to pay attention and know what is happening on the court.

The line judges duties are not affected by the presents or lack of a umpire. Make a call everytime.

:angry:

Also, how about when the line judge get's "called out" by his own daughter because I, I mean "he", didn't think the ball touched the antenna but she did?

I bet that was a long ride home :(

I agree 110% that making the immediate call is in everyone's best interest.

In regards to an official overruling Team A's line judge, even if the call goes against Team A, I think it comes back to credibility. If a line judge has been with me all night, I likely won't overrule them. If someone has been questionable, I may or may not overrule them. If it's CLEARLY not the case that something happened, I will overrule a line judge. But that's atypical at best.

Ok, I appoligize in advance, but your response has made me go to the case book - maybe more to add to your response (or nudge you) than disagree.

NFHS

pg 55 section E: "Throughout the match the referee maintains general supervisory control of the teams and other officials and makes the final decision concerning matters not specifically covered by the rules or in case of conflicting calls between officials............."

So if you see something different than the line judge, you make the decision on who is right - regardless of how good they are or how well they are doing, you should go with your judgement since you are the head official. If you are not sure you would just go with his call. If you saw something different, you should go with your judgment.

And more....

pg 92 section N: "IT IS THE HOST SCHOOL'S RESPONSIBILITY TO SELECT, INSTRUCT AND TRAIN JUDGES. .........PREFERABLY ADULTS........

.....line judges are assistant officials. They ASSIST the referee but do not make decisions. As the head official, all decisions are made by the referee. The referee merely considers the calls made by the line judges. The referee may overrule a line judge's call at any time."

Look, I'm line judging! :(

Edited by oldsetter

Ok, I appoligize in advance, but your response has made me go to the case book - maybe more to add to your response (or nudge you) than disagree.

NFHS

pg 55 section E: "Throughout the match the referee maintains general supervisory control of the teams and other officials and makes the final decision concerning matters not specifically covered by the rules or in case of conflicting calls between officials............."

So if you see something different than the line judge, you make the decision on who is right - regardless of how good they are or how well they are doing, you should go with your judgement since you are the head official. If you are not sure you would just go with his call. If you saw something different, you should go with your judgment.

And more....

pg 92 section N: "IT IS THE HOST SCHOOL'S RESPONSIBILITY TO SELECT, INSTRUCT AND TRAIN JUDGES. .........PREFERABLY ADULTS........

.....line judges are assistant officials. They ASSIST the referee but do not make decisions. As the head official, all decisions are made by the referee. The referee merely considers the calls made by the line judges. The referee may overrule a line judge's call at any time."

Look, I'm line judging! B)

OS, whoever you are, you'd make a good official... if you already aren't. I don't know many people who have a current casebook (aside from officials), so you have me guessing once again. I enjoy your replies, especially this one.

I suppose I should clarify my last post. In regards to close situations, if a line judge has credibility (i.e. done a good job and been with me all night) and I don't have compelling evidence to the contrary, I will accept their call. I may pepper them with questions and explore every angle of what they saw; partially to make sure they really saw what they saw, as well as make a judgment on how sure they are of it.

OS makes a great point; it's a point I think we often forget. Line judges advise the referee of what they saw; it is by no means a guarantee that it will be accepted. They are like the umpire in a sense; if there are conflicting calls or simultaneous/near simultaneous calls, the referee has the sole responsibility/authority to make the final call. People get up and make a fuss about an official not taking a line judge's call when they overrule on occasion.

In a tight match, good, solid, credible line judges are a life saver.

OS, whoever you are, you'd make a good official... if you already aren't. I don't know many people who have a current casebook (aside from officials), so you have me guessing once again. I enjoy your replies, especially this one.

I suppose I should clarify my last post. In regards to close situations, if a line judge has credibility (i.e. done a good job and been with me all night) and I don't have compelling evidence to the contrary, I will accept their call. I may pepper them with questions and explore every angle of what they saw; partially to make sure they really saw what they saw, as well as make a judgment on how sure they are of it.

OS makes a great point; it's a point I think we often forget. Line judges advise the referee of what they saw; it is by no means a guarantee that it will be accepted. They are like the umpire in a sense; if there are conflicting calls or simultaneous/near simultaneous calls, the referee has the sole responsibility/authority to make the final call. People get up and make a fuss about an official not taking a line judge's call when they overrule on occasion.

GLJ, the more this thread goes on, the more creditability of you and your cohorts are getting in my opinion. As you know, I am in MT and get a chance to see HS matches and MS matches and as you quote rules and situations and procedures, in practice, that is the way it is and that is the reason for the conferences.

Some can complain a little bit about certain calls but there really isn't much doubt, at this time, of the validity of the calls and is the reason why smart schools wind up playing some matches in Middle Tennessee at the last of the season. In reality, even after playing under tight rules does not help MT teams a bit because they still get called if infractions are made. This and consistancy seems to be the main difference in calls from the posts I have read.

It is possible that this sport may be more consistant than the controversial calls of other HS sports that sometimes get in to the Professional Sports Interpretation of rules instead of leaving the game where it is, at the HS area. Taking a game or sport, too much, to a higher level takes learning of skills and building the intracities of using ones head and emphasizes strength and power instead of the former.

On the other side of that, if you have players that have conquered the skills part of that equation and have also built speed quickness and power, that is where you have special players that pay the price for excellence whether they use it further or not. It then becomes the character of the player/person.

Officials become a part of that transition and make players, coaches and fans think. This thread is a very valuable thread and I, for one, think you are getting teams ready to play the State Tournament and getting teams more motivated, just like 78 posted a few days back, to venture to the area where the officials are going to call just for the exposure.

Good Job.

Hey, that was a great nudge! You are right on. :ph34r:

Great ref? Knowing the rules and applying are two different things. But thanks.

I have all the current rules by internet or hard copy except for NAWGS. Why? I play at a lot of places under different rule sets and because I like to argue a lot and be right. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any rules regarding the score table? Who decides the personnel that will be in charge of that area? Also, I know line judges are to be impartial, what about those sitting @ the score table, should they be "cheering" for their team as they attempt to keep score?

This is a great question. I have been to 2 matches recently where an adult was placed at the table as the scorekeeper and they were not only cheering but taking pictures (!) in during and between points -- and trying to keep the book too. What's up with THAT?

I spent 2 years as our team's official scorekeeper and it seemed to me that it was important to remain impartial (at least outwardly) one, because I was an "official" and two, I needed every bit of concentration to keep up with what I was tasked to do. Now that I sit on the bench, I could cheer, but often I don't, as it takes away my concentration from what I'm doing (keeping stats) with the exception of a few well-placed exclamations :blink:

Edited by play4keeps

Are there any rules regarding the score table? Who decides the personnel that will be in charge of that area? Also, I know line judges are to be impartial, what about those sitting @ the score table, should they be "cheering" for their team as they attempt to keep score?

The score table is a place of business. Generally speaking, the host school provides the scorekeeper, libero tracker, and scoreboard operator. As these individuals are part of the official crew and are, in fact, assistant officials (per the rulebook). As officials, these people are to be impartial and free of "fan" type of reactions.

All three people have tasks to be accomplished; those tasks must be completed every time the whistle blows (which can happen at any time).

If an individual serving in such capacity is found to not be capable of doing their job, or executes it poorly or is otherwise unacceptable to the officials, they may be replaced at any time.

Can these people feel no excitement during the game? Of course they can. They're human too. They just have to contain themselves and remain reasonably business-like while the action goes on. ;)

The score table is a place of business. Generally speaking, the host school provides the scorekeeper, libero tracker, and scoreboard operator. As these individuals are part of the official crew and are, in fact, assistant officials (per the rulebook). As officials, these people are to be impartial and free of "fan" type of reactions.

All three people have tasks to be accomplished; those tasks must be completed every time the whistle blows (which can happen at any time).

If an individual serving in such capacity is found to not be capable of doing their job, or executes it poorly or is otherwise unacceptable to the officials, they may be replaced at any time.

Can these people feel no excitement during the game? Of course they can. They're human too. They just have to contain themselves and remain reasonably business-like while the action goes on. ;)

I agree, but it sure is hard to remember to flip those numbers when you jump out of your seat and cheer. All told, they are typically parents first, enjoying a small window of their child's lifetime, that just happens to be taking place at a volleyball match. That's why the number flipper always double checks the score with the official scorekeeper. :lol: Lest we forget though, the crowd will always let you know when you missed a "flip". Good luck to all this week during Regionals and Sectionals. Go Lady Bruins!!!

Edited by Old Timer

Announcements