How to be a "great" line judge

TheGreatLineJudge

The thread on Eagleville vs. Page of 9/19/06 has brought up the discussion of line judging. I've decided to review line judging and the quirks associated with it.

I may miss a few points here and there, so please, feel free to ask questions. I want this to be exhaustive, definitive, and authoritative in regards to line judging and what certain situations call for.

First off, what the rule book says in regards to line judges' responsibilities:

Rule 5 (Officials: Responsibilities and Positions), Section 8

Section 8: Line Judges Responsibilities

ART. 1... Pre-Match - Line judges shall:

a. Be designated and report to the referee no less than 20 minutes before the scheduled starting time of the match;

b. Review specific responsibilities with the referee;

c. Be assigned to their positions by the referee prior to the match.

ART. 2... Position:

a. Line judges shall stand near the intersection of the left sideline with the end line, and move so they have a clear view of both the end line and the sideline;

b. Line judges shall hold the same positions relative to the court throughout the match;

c. Line judges shall stand at the intersection of the attack line and sideline, on their respective side of the court, nearest the referee during time-outs. The line judge on the serving team's side of the net shall hold the game ball;

d. Line judges shall have a designated neutral area where they can be seated between games.

ART. 3... During the game each line judge shall assist the referee and umpire by:

a. Determining at the moment of contact for the serve whether the server touches the end line or the floor outside the lines marking the wieth of the serving area;

b. Indicating when the serve, or any played ball, crosses the net not entirely between the net antennas;

c. Indicating when the ball touches the net, net antennas, and/or net supports not entirely between the net antennas;

d. Indicating whether a ball is in bounds or out of bounds when it lands on or near any line for which the line judge is responsible;

e. Indicating when a player touches the ball that is going out of bounds on the player's side of the net;

f. Communicating with the referee when asked, when the ball touches the ceiling or overhead obstruction, if out of the view of the officials.

ART. 4... The use of flags by line judges is optional.

That's the rule book. Now, in plain English, my mini-speech goes something like this:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/programs/signa...all_signals.pdf

-In signal (arms sticking straight out)

-Out signal (NCAA Signal 5)

-Ball touches the line, it IS good (give the in signal again)

-If the ball touches the antenna, whether it's inside the net, outside the net; touches the net outside the antenna, the padding, the pole, anything outside the antenna, it's out (signal again)

-If any part of the ball crosses over the antenna, it's out

-If the ball is attacked and comes from outside the antenna and back into play, it's out

-Help out on touches; best way to do that is to watch the blocker's fingertips. If you see contact and the ball lands out of bounds on the same side as the contact, give me a touch (NCAA Signal 7); if you see contact and the ball lands on the line, it's just in.

-Help out on foot faults. If the girl steps on the line and then contacts the ball, signal foot fault (Signal: Wave arm up and down the service line). If she steps on the line, pulls back, and THEN contacts the line, you've got nothing.

-If you're ever not sure what to signal, but you know what you saw, run over and chat with me and we'll go from there.

I will then field any questions that are asked and we move on from there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the basics are out of the way, down to becoming a pro.

-Signal every ball. I need to know you're with me! By signaling every ball, no matter how close or how obvious, you're telling me you're interested, involved, and aware of what's going on. This also serves to build trust. If a LJ has been with me the whole match and done a good job, when a tough/disputed call comes up, I'm going to call them over. After confirming what they saw, unless I saw something CLEARLY different, even if I'm on the fence about their call, 99% of the time, I will take it.

-Give crisp signals. The first step to being professional is looking the part. I look for "professional" signals; when I see a LJ signal "out", I don't want both hands going straight into the air; I don't want someone swinging their arms outward to show me it's out; I want my line judge to give me Signal 5.

-More signals. When making the signals, especially on something controversial or that the official doesn't initially notice, HOLD THE SIGNAL OUT! Hold out the signal until you make eye contact with the official and he/she either takes it or waves you off. For example, if a ball crosses over the antenna and you saw it, signal immediately and hold it until the official takes the signal.

-Signal without delay. Give your signals immediately. When you do this, you're showing you're paying attention, understand what to do, and are able to make quick decisions. This builds more trust.

-Get the very best angle. You don't have to stand in one spot all night. Move around, if need be, to get the best look. When a ball is being attacked from the side line, I move myself so that I am looking straight at the antenna. I need to determine, quickly, if the ball hits the antenna, if it goes over the antenna, if it's touched, by whom, or if it's close, give a safe signal to let the official, and the crowd, know that I'm on it. It's ok to move around so you can see beyond that girl who's standing in the way. It's ok to move so you can get the very best look and give the most accurate call that you can.

-Sell your signal. Do you believe in your own call? Really? DO you? Will your call stand with hundreds (sometimes thousands) of people are booing you? Do you have the CONVICTION that what you just signaled is correct? If you make a believer out of me, I will defend your call until the end of time. But if you're backpeddling when an official calls you over to chat, don't be suprised if your call is overturned.

-Know your place. Stand right where the lines intersect. The only way to know if the ball hit the line is to SEE IT!

-Lines don't move. Watch the ball during play. But, when the ball gets slammed and is heading for the floor, turn your attention to the line that's about to be hit. Volleyballs move. Lines don't.

-Be professional. If someone yells at you or questions you, ignore them. There's only one person you have to convince, in the end, and that is the game official. Don't worry about the others. If someone is being nasty, don't be nasty in reply. Tell your official and allow them to do what they deem is best.

Most of all, do your best and give all of your attention to the task at hand.

Edited by TheGreatLineJudge

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thread on Eagleville vs. Page of 9/19/06 has brought up the discussion of line judging. I've decided to review line judging and the quirks associated with it.

I may miss a few points here and there, so please, feel free to ask questions. I want this to be exhaustive, definitive, and authoritative in regards to line judging and what certain situations call for.

First off, what the rule book says in regards to line judges' responsibilities:

Rule 5 (Officials: Responsibilities and Positions), Section 8

That's the rule book. Now, in plain English, my mini-speech goes something like this:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/programs/signa...all_signals.pdf

-In signal (arms sticking straight out)

-Out signal (NCAA Signal 5)

-Ball touches the line, it IS good (give the in signal again)

-If the ball touches the antenna, whether it's inside the net, outside the net; touches the net outside the antenna, the padding, the pole, anything outside the antenna, it's out (signal again)

-If any part of the ball crosses over the antenna, it's out

-If the ball is attacked and comes from outside the antenna and back into play, it's out

-Help out on touches; best way to do that is to watch the blocker's fingertips. If you see contact and the ball lands out of bounds on the same side as the contact, give me a touch (NCAA Signal 7); if you see contact and the ball lands on the line, it's just in.

-Help out on foot faults. If the girl steps on the line and then contacts the ball, signal foot fault (Signal: Wave arm up and down the service line). If she steps on the line, pulls back, and THEN contacts the line, you've got nothing.

-If you're ever not sure what to signal, but you know what you saw, run over and chat with me and we'll go from there.

I will then field any questions that are asked and we move on from there.

Part 2 of this post is soon to come. I'm going to go ahead and put this part out.

OK, first of all I don't believe I have ever been offered a chair to sit in during the breaks. :rolleyes: Not part of the "rules" but I think it is important to make the call "immediately" (primarily without hesitation, is what I mean). I truly feel decisiveness makes the call easier to believe. Also, it helps to be a "big guy" as to avoid much harassment! :lol: Finally, the other day at Bwood one of the judges asked the other line judge if it was "4 hits" or not, is that an option to the ref? A second finally, how about a ref that overrules a call made by the "other" line judge (that there was a touch) against "his" own team?

OK, first of all I don't believe I have ever been offered a chair to sit in during the breaks. :lol: Not part of the "rules" but I think it is important to make the call "immediately" (primarily without hesitation, is what I mean). I truly feel decisiveness makes the call easier to believe. Also, it helps to be a "big guy" as to avoid much harassment! :rolleyes: Finally, the other day at Bwood one of the judges asked the other line judge if it was "4 hits" or not, is that an option to the ref? A second finally, how about a ref that overrules a call made by the "other" line judge (that there was a touch) against "his" own team?

Few places I've been really offer a "neutral" area for a line judge to sit in. It's not usually something "enforced" by an official and it's not really a big deal. If it were a hot match, I might see about having a place set aside for the line judges, as to keep them from being captured by a lynch mob.

I agree 110% that making the immediate call is in everyone's best interest.

I'm suprised an official asked a line judge if there was a fourth contact made. It's not the line judges' responsibility, but ignoring that for a moment, the official should not be asking at all.

In regards to an official overruling Team A's line judge, even if the call goes against Team A, I think it comes back to credibility. If a line judge has been with me all night, I likely won't overrule them. If someone has been questionable, I may or may not overrule them. If it's CLEARLY not the case that something happened, I will overrule a line judge. But that's atypical at best.

Then again, there are some officials who won't even look at line judges. I can think of one official in particular, who hails from East TN, who toots her own horn and won't accept anything you call if she disagrees. This comes from my own personal experience. I won't say her name, but if you're around Chattanooga and the initials "MG" ring a bell, you know EXACTLY what I'm saying.

I'm sure I'll think of more things to add to this post. I think I've forgotten a few things here and there, but as I think of them, I will post.

I line judge a lot at Tennessee High. One additional thing I do is as the play is happening, I usually give touch signals, even if it is going to be in bounds. Two reasons, tells the ref you're watching, and second, on close calls, if its in or out, it doesn't really matter if you saw a touch.

Other thing I do is on a ball that goes out, especially a hard driven ball, if there was no touch I will signal that to the ref as well. Tells them you were watching and it was a clean pass through or over the blockers.

Tonight, Tennessee High was playing Gate City, Virginia, defending Virginia state champs. I was expecting a great game. Gate City didn't show up, and Tennessee High won easily in three. We had one of our better officials on the stand, and a college ref that is usually pretty good down. Before the game, the line judges were asked to stand with the officials during the national anthem, kinda nice. Our announcer usually announces the officials as well. Tonight, everything close happened on my end of the court, next match, my end may be the easy one.

I agree with TGLJ, make crisp, decisive calls, be consistent, and pay attention. It's not a sin to miss seeing something, but don't make a habit of it. Remember, a missed call is a two point swing.

Last weekend, we were playing South in Pick of Dixie. The line judge was attempting to line judge, standing three feet off the corner. Missed numerous close calls, and blew many more. The up ref was no better. At one point, the line judge simply held his hands over his eyes to signal something, not sure what. He would make a call, then hold his hands up as if to say, "I don't know what I saw." Finally, after the second game, before starting the third, the up ref came down and showed the guy where to stand and a few of the basic calls. It sure makes a close game tough, especially when you know the rules and how bad the officiating is.

Don't be critical of officials and line judges unless you've learned the rules and given it a shot.

Ken

I line judge a lot at Tennessee High. One additional thing I do is as the play is happening, I usually give touch signals, even if it is going to be in bounds. Two reasons, tells the ref you're watching, and second, on close calls, if its in or out, it doesn't really matter if you saw a touch.

Other thing I do is on a ball that goes out, especially a hard driven ball, if there was no touch I will signal that to the ref as well. Tells them you were watching and it was a clean pass through or over the blockers.

Tonight, Tennessee High was playing Gate City, Virginia, defending Virginia state champs. I was expecting a great game. Gate City didn't show up, and Tennessee High won easily in three. We had one of our better officials on the stand, and a college ref that is usually pretty good down. Before the game, the line judges were asked to stand with the officials during the national anthem, kinda nice. Our announcer usually announces the officials as well. Tonight, everything close happened on my end of the court, next match, my end may be the easy one.

I agree with TGLJ, make crisp, decisive calls, be consistent, and pay attention. It's not a sin to miss seeing something, but don't make a habit of it. Remember, a missed call is a two point swing.

Last weekend, we were playing South in Pick of Dixie. The line judge was attempting to line judge, standing three feet off the corner. Missed numerous close calls, and blew many more. The up ref was no better. At one point, the line judge simply held his hands over his eyes to signal something, not sure what. He would make a call, then hold his hands up as if to say, "I don't know what I saw." Finally, after the second game, before starting the third, the up ref came down and showed the guy where to stand and a few of the basic calls. It sure makes a close game tough, especially when you know the rules and how bad the officiating is.

Don't be critical of officials and line judges unless you've learned the rules and given it a shot.

Ken

While I've seen plenty of people do it, and it DOES let an official know you're in the game, I'd advise against signaling a touch every single time there's a touch at the net. It's distracting and it's truly unnecessary. The only time you should signal a touch is when it's contacted before going out of bounds. But, given that option and a person who never signals anything at all, I'll take the former.

Great point on a non-contact out-of-bounds call. When it's close and I'm sure there was no contact, I will signal out and shake my head "no" so that my official knows I'm on it.

In regards to standing with the official(s) during introductions and what not, I would hope you're not suprised. Line judges and scorekeepers are considered assistant officials, and you ARE part of the crew!

Based on what you described and where you're from, Ken, it sounds like you had Deidre Brown. She IS a good official!

Few places I've been really offer a "neutral" area for a line judge to sit in. It's not usually something "enforced" by an official and it's not really a big deal. If it were a hot match, I might see about having a place set aside for the line judges, as to keep them from being captured by a lynch mob.

I agree 110% that making the immediate call is in everyone's best interest.

I'm suprised an official asked a line judge if there was a fourth contact made. It's not the line judges' responsibility, but ignoring that for a moment, the official should not be asking at all.

In regards to an official overruling Team A's line judge, even if the call goes against Team A, I think it comes back to credibility. If a line judge has been with me all night, I likely won't overrule them. If someone has been questionable, I may or may not overrule them. If it's CLEARLY not the case that something happened, I will overrule a line judge. But that's atypical at best.

Then again, there are some officials who won't even look at line judges. I can think of one official in particular, who hails from East TN, who toots her own horn and won't accept anything you call if she disagrees. This comes from my own personal experience. I won't say her name, but if you're around Chattanooga and the initials "MG" ring a bell, you know EXACTLY what I'm saying.

I'm sure I'll think of more things to add to this post. I think I've forgotten a few things here and there, but as I think of them, I will post.

OK, (and believe me I'm not complaining, truly not) another incident that happened at Bwood. I was on the lines away from the up ref and the ball was just out down the line (on the other side of the net). I immediately called it "out" but the ref called it "in" before he ever looked at me. Then when he saw me say it was "out" he questioned me but then kept the call as "in" because that was how he "originally" called it?

TGLJ, I call quite a bit of lines in West TN and I know we are behind East & Middle TN in volleyball by listening to all of the people say so on here, but you forgot to add a few signals that we use over here that might be of some assistance down the road for you:

1. If I look up at the ref rubbing my fat belly, it means that I have worked all day, it is supper time and I need some food.

2. If I grab my crotch and stand knock kneed, I need a bathroom break before the next service point.

3. If I pull out a big ole pair of black frame thick lens glasses, it's gonna be a quick night for the visiting team.

LOL, seriously though, I want to thank anyone and everyone that volunteer's to help call the lines at the games. Not everyone is up to that task. It is much appreciated.

This is great. ASK THE GREAT LINE JUDGE.

TGLJ, I call quite a bit of lines in West TN and I know we are behind East & Middle TN in volleyball by listening to all of the people say so on here, but you forgot to add a few signals that we use over here that might be of some assistance down the road for you:

1. If I look up at the ref rubbing my fat belly, it means that I have worked all day, it is supper time and I need some food.

2. If I grab my crotch and stand knock kneed, I need a bathroom break before the next service point.

3. If I pull out a big ole pair of black frame thick lens glasses, it's gonna be a quick night for the visiting team.

LOL, seriously though, I want to thank anyone and everyone that volunteer's to help call the lines at the games. Not everyone is up to that task. It is much appreciated.

As a regular line judge -- mostly JV these days as I keep stats during varsity -- this made me laugh out loud! I will be thinking of it tonight as I "toe the line".

Do any TN volleyball matches use down refs? I know that adds additional cost per match. In KY we pay 2 refs for all matches-FR, JV, V, and tournaments. Lafayette has played at Page Tourney the last two years and they only had up ref. Maybe went with up and down late in the tourney.

Without a down ref there is a lot more responsibility on LJ's to pay close attention. I don't believe that I've seen LJ's who only made calls for their own team. I'm sure it might happen, but most people are fair when entrusted with this job. The most important thing is to pay attention and know what is happening on the court.

GLJ, you are right, Ms. Goodwin requires no help. Dont believe it? Just ask her. :unsure:

Announcements