New rule by the TSSAA

BigG

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get informed before you talk

Oh if it were only true!

You can't sue TSSAA on the "right of association" complaint because you kid can choose not to play the sport and do what he or she likes. They already infringe on the kids rights by banning them from practicing with their club team during the HS season. Sure that is bogus, but it is sure hard to sue on that point.

You have to find where they have violated the kids civil rights through discrimination of some sort then you can take them down. That will take time and money and most folks run out of interest after 4 years of HS and money, well who will mortgage their house to pay the attorney fees.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your point in both substance and spirit. It is just not practical.

I have an idea. How about if TSSAA keeps their nose out of my family business after school hours? What my child does on their own time outside school and off school property is really no concern of theirs anyway. Has anyone thought of how TSSAA is going to enforce this proposed new rule? How about if they put this energy, time and resource into 1. training referees; and 2. providing HS coaching staffs training.

A while back, I phoned the TSSAA offices in Lebanon and asked about the former point above and was told that TSSAA knew better when it came to raising kids. Amazing, isn't it?

As a state agency they should be brought to heel thorugh our elected reps (and they ARE as state agency according to the U.S. District Court in the Brentwood case).

You obviously don't know what you are talking about, and are anything but "informed".

First of all, Oak Ridge players are not required to play for any particular team, although many play on the same Oak Ridge team simply because there is only one club in Oak Ridge, which does not have teams for every age bracket, and several of the players play for that club. My daughter, and several others on the team play for Knoxville clubs.

Secondly, Oak Ridge's coach coaches both the boys' and girls' high school teams, and since TSSAA does not allow high school coaches to coach other teams during the high school season, would you care to explain when he is supposed to do this alleged club coaching??

In fact, I think he does an exemplary job of fielding teams that regularly contend for the state championship, despite having a somewhat small pool of players to draw from.

I don't know what your issue is with Oak Ridge or our coach, but you'd better get your facts straight before you go making wild allegations with no proof to back it up.

You are kidding, right? It is common knowledge that the OR HS team members are "encouraged" to play with the Krossfire....and has been for quite some time. The OR coach games the system and has for years. Coach club during HS season? Naaa. Just "advises." The facts are pretty straight on this one.

Edited by soccer37830

You are kidding, right? It is common knowledge that the OR HS team members are "encouraged" to play with the Krossfire....and has been for quite some time. The OR coach games the system and has for years. Coach club during HS season? Naaa. Just "advises." The facts are pretty straight on this one.

Where are you getting this information? I've heard what you're saying as rumor before, but I'd like to know where it comes from.

If such a rule is passed in March?, when would it be effective. It would only be right to make it effective with the girls 2008 soccer season. Most tryouts and commitments to club teams for this year happened in June/July/August. To find out in March that you may be "penalized"/excluded from the upcoming school season (2007), because you signed with a team (last summer, 2006) that also included 6 other school teammates would not be right. If you wait to sign until November of any given year, how do they check eligibility if you officially haven't registered with TSSA yet?

If this rule passes it seems like it would be a nightmare to administer, are they going to check player eligibility against TSSA files, what about all the surrounding states, GA, AL, KY, etc. (you can register/play in other states). What if you "guest play" on another team a few times? Does that count? What if you register with one team, but then change in the "open" January period? Will it all be based on which team you played on just prior to your high school tryouts?

I think they should leave this alone. It, as said prior, seems like it will create more of a disadvantage for soccer programs, and a whole lot of confusion and paperwork for TSSAA.

Chattsoccer, you bring up a good point about guest playing. I don't know how that will be affected. I'll need to address that, as well.

It might be a nightmare to enforce, but think of the coach that has to regulate his team "oh yeah, coach, I forgot to mention I guest played on that team". Now THAT is the nightmare, especially if it happens halfway through yours season.

Chattsoccer, you bring up a good point about guest playing. I don't know how that will be affected. I'll need to address that, as well.

It might be a nightmare to enforce, but think of the coach that has to regulate his team "oh yeah, coach, I forgot to mention I guest played on that team". Now THAT is the nightmare, especially if it happens halfway through yours season.

BigG,

I still can't see how TSSAA can provide conclusive proof about who plays for what club team. Is there any way that TSSA could be compelled to provide information about club registration? I would think that privacy laws would prevent them from doing so.

How can TSSAA satisfy their burden of proof? Would they have to rely on eyewitness testimonials?

BigG,

I still can't see how TSSAA can provide conclusive proof about who plays for what club team. Is there any way that TSSA could be compelled to provide information about club registration? I would think that privacy laws would prevent them from doing so.

How can TSSAA satisfy their burden of proof? Would they have to rely on eyewitness testimonials?

TSSAA will make the institution and coach responsible. Both will do a very good job of policing because they won't want their athletic progam and job to be jeopardized.

TSSAA will make the institution and coach responsible. Both will do a very good job of policing because they won't want their athletic progam and job to be jeopardized.

That is EXACTLY right, and that is one of the reasons that I am against it as well. Hey, let's put MORE of a burden on the highschool coach! Now, that is a stupendous idea (or maybe I was looking for a different word).

That is EXACTLY right, and that is one of the reasons that I am against it as well. Hey, let's put MORE of a burden on the highschool coach! Now, that is a stupendous idea (or maybe I was looking for a different word).

So in effect what you are saying is this rule would be policed by the honor system? That's great for the 99% of coaches that would comply with the rule, but I'm asking about the 1% of unscrupulous people that would deliberately try to circumvent the rule. How can TSSAA prove they violated the rule?

So in effect what you are saying is this rule would be policed by the honor system? That's great for the 99% of coaches that would comply with the rule, but I'm asking about the 1% of unscrupulous people that would deliberately try to circumvent the rule. How can TSSAA prove they violated the rule?

I think it would be very simple. If an unscrupulous coach violates the rule, the word would get out fast because everyone knows everyone in the soccer community. Someone would quickly drop a dime on the offending school/coach I think. From there it would not be difficult to prove the violation. All that would be needed is a school roster, a few phone numbers, and time to interview the coach and players. Circumventing the investigation would require collusion among the coach, the players, the school, and the club team. Not impossible, but highly unlikely to succeed, in my opinion.

Having said this, I don't like the proposed rule [isn't it interesting that no one is in favor of the rule, yet it's still going to become a rule?]. And I agree with previous post that it would create a new administrative, regulatory burden on the coach and school. Useless work to comply with a useless rule.