New rule by the TSSAA

BigG

this is not only ridiculous but its entirely impossible!! there is no way they can automatically make some players ineligible due to the fact that they play club soccer with certain people.

Yes, it's ridiculous but not impossible. There is a way that they can do it. But don't get me wrong, I'm not for this rule in the least bit. It pisses me off that they would try to pass this rule when all it's really doing is hurting the quality of soccer in tennesse. But like fore mentioned, not impossible. I know you don't like it but don't say something that doesn't make sense. :thumb:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey G, I was leaving the school today and listening to some sportstalk in Knoxville with a man criticising TSSAA over some football issue. The thought occurred to me that while we have a good following on here, why not help spread the message through other means to help garner support. I thought maybe we should talk to Jesse Smithey about an article and speak to the folks at the sports animal and let as many people know about this as possible. I know there must be alot of people who do not check out this site or may have missed the post on the new rule. Don't know if you had already considered it or maybe have done so, but it was an idea. We need to get the message out and garner alot of support or our voice will be a whisper. Like an earlier poster stated, we seem reserved to the fact this is going to pass and we are complaining in advance instead of taking action to prevent this thing. If nothing else, lets announce when we may meet and discuss the issue. I don't have alot of kids playing club, most of ours play football in the fall, but this rule is ignorant when applied to soccer.

Actually, that is a great idea. I'll give Jeff Jacoby a call and see if this might be something they would talk about. I know that it would help if we presented it not just for soccer (since it does involve multiple sports).

i have a question at this point in the rules can an assistant coach coach a club team of the team he coaches or maybe even an indoor team i am just curious

It is a tricky question with no black or white answer. As of right now, a coach that is "employed" by the school to coach a soccer team, may not coach a club or indoor team (with players from his own team), unless they have special permission for certain exemptions. For example, if a coach finished his last season with the boys in the spring of 2006 (as in they are not going to coach the next highschool season), then in the fall of 2006, he coached a boys club team, that would be allowed as long as they contact the TSSAA and that he does not coach that school again.

There are some other exemptions, but I need to look into them a bit more before I post them.

From the Chattanooga Times article I only saw the following...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_96635.asp

I guess I totally missed the thing about Notre Dame, why are they are under probation and is this boys soccer, boys/girls or all sports? Can someone give me a link that explains that particular ruling?

Results Of TSSAA Board Of Control Meeting In Hermitage

by special report to The Chattanoogan

posted November 13, 2006

HERMITAGE, Tenn. -- Results from TSSAA Board of Control meeting on Monday.

1. Roll Call

2. Approved Minutes of Last Meeting

3. Drawing for State Wrestling Tournament

Voted to instruct the state office to make the draw for the State Wrestling Tournament

and not release the draw for Division I until the Sunday preceding the Division

I State Wrestling Tournament.

4. 2006 Region Meetings

The Regional Agenda is shown in supplement #1. There were two legislative proposals

on the Regional Meeting agenda this year. A report will be provided to the Board

of Control.

5. Heard Review of the 2006 Fall Sports Tournaments

6. Approved the Legislation of Tennessee General Assembly Regarding Percentage Increase

for Retirees whose date of retirement is on or before July 1, 1989.

7. Voted to permit Notre Dame High School to participate in the post-season in soccer

during the 2007 soccer season. By allowing them to do so, Notre Dame will lose

three of their regular season playing dates in 2007. They have been placed on probation

for a two-year period.

8. Approved the Membership Request for East Hickman High School.

The addition of three Class 2A schools for the 2007-2008 school year creates a very

unique situation for TSSAA football alignments for the last two years of the current

classification cycle, which ends at the conclusion of the 2008-2009 school year.

This is the result of Jackson Christian, which moves up from 1A due to a 20% enrollment

change and the creation of two Class 2A schools because of the new East Hickman

High School. This new school will be in 2A in football and, also, causes Hickman

County High School to drop from 4A to 2A.

The problem that is created is that these three new schools are geographically situated

in the three largest 2A regions in the state. Region 5 (8 teams), Region 6 (9 teams),

and Region 7 (8 teams) are the geographic regions for the placement of these schools.

If the schools are placed geographically in the regions, there will be a result

of Region 5 having nine teams, Region 6 having 10, and Region 7 having 9.

As a result, the Board of Control, at its November 13 meeting, has created nine

regions for Class 2A for the last two years of this classification period. There

are no changes in Regions 1, 2, 3, 4, and 8. The 28 schools that would be in Regions

5, 6, and 7 have now been placed in four regions. The new region alignments are

as follows:

Region 1: Chuckey-Doak, Cumberland Gap, Gatlinburg-Pittman, Happy Valley, North

Greene, South Greene, West Greene

Region 2: Alcoa, CAK, Loudon, Oliver Springs, Rockwood, Sweetwater, Wartburg Central

Region 3: Bledsoe County, Boyd-Buchanan, Marion County, Sequatchie County, Tyner

Region 4: Cannon County, Jackson County, Smith County, Upperman, Westmoreland,

York Institute

Region 5: CPA, DCA, East Robertson, Ezell-Harding, Franklin Road Academy, Goodpasture

Region 6: East Hickman, Fairview, Harpeth, Hickman County, Lewis County, Loretto,

Richland

Region 7: Adamsville, Camden, Houston County, Huntingdon, Riverside, Stewart County,

Waverly

Region 8: Dresden, Gibson County, Humboldt, JCS, Milan, Peabody, USJ, Westview

Region 9: Booker T. Washington, George Carver, Memphis South Side, Oakhaven, Treadwell,

Westside, Westwood

Football Playoffs

The proposal for selection of the 32 teams qualifying for the football playoffs

and the setting of the bracket will deviate from standard procedures that are currently

in use, but the selection and seeding of teams will continue to follow the underlying

selection philosophy described in the TSSAA football regulations.

The following will show (1) selection of the teams for the playoffs, (2) placement

of the teams in the brackets, and (3) seeding the teams in the brackets.

(1) Selection of teams for the playoffs: Obviously, nine regions destroy the symmetry

as there is no basic logic for placing nine regions in a 32-team bracket. The plan

is to select the top three teams from each region, based on current playoff procedures

set forth in the football regulations. This will set 27 of the 32 teams in the

playoff series. The remaining five slots will be filled by a wild card selection.

These five teams will be selected by the guidelines that are in the football regulations.

The process will be to take all the 2A schools that did not qualify for the playoffs

as one of the top three teams from their region, and sort them by overall won-loss

records. The top five teams in overall won-loss records will make the playoffs

as wild cards. In the event of a tie in overall records for the 32nd position,

then factors such as head-to-head (if applicable), opponents with victories over

teams winning 50% of their games or more, etc., would determine these five playoff

teams.

(2) Placement of teams in the brackets: Here we will deviate from the traditional

bracket. Once the 32 teams have been selected for the playoffs the schools will

be grouped into four 8-team quadrants. This grouping will be done without regard

to region alignments. The grouping will take into account factors such as even

distribution of the #3’s and wild cards in the four quadrants, geography, etc.

(3) Seeding the teams in the brackets: Once the four quad brackets are created,

the eight teams within each bracket will be seeded from 1 – 8. All #1 region finishers

in the bracket will be listed in the bracket using standard TSSAA football regulations,

i.e., head-to-head (if applicable), overall records, etc. Once the #1 seeds are

placed in the bracket, the same procedures will be used for the #2 teams, then the

#3 teams, and then the wild card teams. You will also place the teams so that #1’s

and #2’s from the same region would not meet until the quarterfinal round of the

playoffs. Once the teams are seeded in the bracket, the home team will always be

the higher seeded team.

Major Differences in the Playoff Bracket

Schools will not know until the bracket is released where they will fall or what

line they will be placed on. It is possible that a team could play a team from

their region in the first round (example: #1 is in first seeded position and #4

is a wild card team placed in the #8 seeded position). Teams in the same region

may not be in the same quadrant, depending on wild cards and geographic location

of all 32 schools. Also, teams in the same region (probably Region 5) could go

to the opposite bracket (upper and lower), depending on wild cards and geographic

location of all 32 schools.

Final details of the playoff brackets in Class 2A will be determined by the Board

of Control at a later Board of Control meeting prior to the beginning of the 2007

season.

9. Approved the Recommendation of Division II Committee for Region Alignments in

all Sports.

The Board of Control, at its August meeting, approved the classification of Division

II to two classifications in all sports except track and field, wrestling, and bowling.

The Division II Committee met on Thursday, October 19, to look at all of the options

for tournament formats in all sports and realignments.

10. Took No Action in regards to the Manual for Lobbyists and Employers of Lobbyists.

11. Approved St. Andrew’s Sewanee’s request for permission to be allowed to not

participate in the football playoffs, and to also permit their basketball team to

participate in the basketball tournament series. This request is due to the previous

Board action that states if a team does not participate in the football playoffs,

they may not participate in the basketball tournament series.

12. Football Scheduling for 2007-2008

Approved that the first playing date in football for 2007 is August 31 and in 2008

the first playing date is August 29.

The Notre Dame issue is for guys soccer. During the play offs of last season, Notre Dame lost, which knocked them out. There was an incident involving an alumnus and I believe a Notre Dame player and the referee. There was an article in the Chattanoogan. (I don't really know all the specific details, and I don't want to speculate since the stuff I know is hearsay) Regardless, because of that incident, Notre Dame boys soccer was initially banned from all post season play (which I think was a dumb decision... don't punish a whole team for the actions of 1. an alumnus 2. one player) This is the appeal of that decision.

I don't really get the losing 3 regular season games in 2007. What does that accomplish?

The Notre Dame issue is for guys soccer. During the play offs of last season, Notre Dame lost, which knocked them out. There was an incident involving an alumnus and I believe a Notre Dame player and the referee. There was an article in the Chattanoogan. (I don't really know all the specific details, and I don't want to speculate since the stuff I know is hearsay) Regardless, because of that incident, Notre Dame boys soccer was initially banned from all post season play (which I think was a dumb decision... don't punish a whole team for the actions of 1. an alumnus 2. one player) This is the appeal of that decision.

I don't really get the losing 3 regular season games in 2007. What does that accomplish?

A similar thing happened a few years ago with the Collierville HS boys team. They were playing Houston in the sectional finals the year that Houston went undefeated and won the 'national championship'. Collierville was up by a goal in the 2nd overtime and the referees allowed more than 10 minutes of EXTRA time in the 2nd overtime and Houston ended up with 2 goals and went on to finish the season undefeated winning the state championship. The Collierville players and coaches lost it after the game and due to their actions were suspended from the next season's post season. They did punish the entire team for that incident.

BigG, could you either post the proposed rule as written by TSSAA or post a link to it? I have looked for it on the TSSAA website, but I couldn't find it and I'm not sure where to look.

Also, I had a question for you previously in this thread and I suppose you might have missed it. What I wanted to know was: If a large enough group of girls play club together this spring (2007), they wouldn't be able to play HS together in the Fall (2007), assuming the rule were to pass?

BigG, could you either post the proposed rule as written by TSSAA or post a link to it? I have looked for it on the TSSAA website, but I couldn't find it and I'm not sure where to look.

Also, I had a question for you previously in this thread and I suppose you might have missed it. What I wanted to know was: If a large enough group of girls play club together this spring (2007), they wouldn't be able to play HS together in the Fall (2007), assuming the rule were to pass?

I don't have that info here (I do at school) I will try and post it tomorrow... Do you want all of the soccer related info, or just the 50% rule?

OK... this might take a while:

"June/July athletes may be on summer teams/club teams with coaches coaching. Dead period does not apply

Pre season scrimmages: No admission charged; no team scores kept on scoreboards; no paid officials; no tournament type format of any type; limit to four prior to first playing date

50% rule: Participation (includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team outside the school season by students that will play the following season on the same highschool team is limited to 50 percent of the number of players required to play the game (6 in soccer)

Note: In each sport, only the specified number of students participating on a nonschool team during the year may be placed on the same highschool team roster the following season. Those students cannot be interchanged on the school team roster.

Example: If seven students play on the same non school soccer team outside the season, only six of them would be eligible for the same highschool soccer team the following soccer season.

Athletes may be on summer teams/club with coaches coaching. Begninning of school until February 1: No practice, no open facilities, voluntary weight training and conditioning permitted as long as open to all students and not sport specific. (GUYS SEASON)

October 1- October 31: 10 days of practice within 15 school days; no scrimmages (GUYS SEASON)

Soccer contests in a season

Changes from 15 to 14"

That is pretty much it in a nutshell. There is a bit more, and more specific, but I got my sheets from our athletic dept. I don't know how the "average Joe" would get it.

Also, let me do a post script that the things I wrote were about guys soccer (since that is what I coach) The rules will be the same for the girls, but the dates will be different (for example "End of school until July 15, no practice. open facilities, voluntary weight training...")

Edited by BigG