New rule by the TSSAA

BigG

TSSAA will make the institution and coach responsible. Both will do a very good job of policing because they won't want their athletic progam and job to be jeopardized.

Perfect....ask Milan Football Coaches how that all worked out this year. They were told that they were in compliance on an issue when they asked prior to a transfer taking place, only to be penalized halfway thru the season via game forfeitures by the TSSAA for saying they weren't in compliance. They did everything they were supposed to do, even went beyond that and thought they were in good graces. So, no, the institution and coaches/AD's DO NOT need more responsibility. The TSSAA needs more COMMON SENSE!!!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree to all points here. So, why is this going forward?

Why hasn't this been discussed in an open meeting?

And to this point: If club ball isn't till after HS ball:

Does the kid have to say they are with a club or can they say I am not playing with a club team?

More rules from an Association that has too many rules already.

Agree to all points here. So, why is this going forward?

Why hasn't this been discussed in an open meeting?

And to this point: If club ball isn't till after HS ball:

Does the kid have to say they are with a club or can they say I am not playing with a club team?

More rules from an Association that has too many rules already.

That's the question that I have - Since the girls HS season is complete before club soccer can start anyway, by just not signing any 'official' club paperwork until after the season would prevent the TSSAA from associating a player with any club. Most club registration is official in August, so by just waiting to become offcially affiliated with a club until after the HS season would make this rule very difficult to enforce.

As for boys soccer, that's a different story since the boys club season precedes the HS season.

I have an idea. How about if TSSAA keeps their nose out of my family business after school hours? What my child does on their own time outside school and off school property is really no concern of theirs anyway. Has anyone thought of how TSSAA is going to enforce this proposed new rule? How about if they put this energy, time and resource into 1. training referees; and 2. providing HS coaching staffs training.

A while back, I phoned the TSSAA offices in Lebanon and asked about the former point above and was told that TSSAA knew better when it came to raising kids. Amazing, isn't it?

As a state agency they should be brought to heel thorugh our elected reps (and they ARE as state agency according to the U.S. District Court in the Brentwood case).

I have an idea. How about if TSSAA keeps their nose out of my family business after school hours? What my child does on their own time outside school and off school property is really no concern of theirs anyway. Has anyone thought of how TSSAA is going to enforce this proposed new rule? How about if they put this energy, time and resource into 1. training referees; and 2. providing HS coaching staffs training.

A while back, I phoned the TSSAA offices in Lebanon and asked about the former point above and was told that TSSAA knew better when it came to raising kids. Amazing, isn't it?

As a state agency they should be brought to heel thorugh our elected reps (and they ARE as state agency according to the U.S. District Court in the Brentwood case).

That's the question that I have - Since the girls HS season is complete before club soccer can start anyway, by just not signing any 'official' club paperwork until after the season would prevent the TSSAA from associating a player with any club. Most club registration is official in August, so by just waiting to become offcially affiliated with a club until after the HS season would make this rule very difficult to enforce.

As for boys soccer, that's a different story since the boys club season precedes the HS season.

I think that for girls it would affect the NEXT season.

We need to start by coming together, not slamming rural or bigger schools because we are giving TSSAA power if we are divided. No we do not have to agree on everything but the most important violation is civil rights . Why punish players who want to play at the next level, be the best, and put forth the effort year round to achieve their goals. What message is this in a society where everyone strives to be the best?

Hold a meeting, calmly come together to fight as one. Their is power in numbers. If this rule passes what is next? What is the need for this rule? Indeed this would hurt the rural schools who have players at different ages who do not or can not travel to the Knoxville area, whereas they could put a club team together and stay at home to train and play at higher age level (it would only strengthen the younger players to play up, be more physical like high school). It honestly does not hurt the bigger schools, the postings are true. Rural schools have recreational players (by the players' choice) and a few club players. How often has a team from the East Tennessee area won a State Tournament in Girls? Bearden and CAK this year but what about before this? Really exam this question.

So is this coming from the boys side where we have the powerhouses of the state Bearden, CAK, and Farragut in our area. Wallie Culbreth and CAK's coach are willing to fight but how many others? Eric Turner has been busy with his girls season a Congratulations to him and his Bearden Lady Bulldogs!!! How many girls coaches are ready to pull their sleeves up, or wait have they had time because this drama started during the girls season.

Yes soccer37830 I agree with informed it is OJ's style because he is out manned on the boys side. Your response was from a girls' parents prospective. How many club players does he have on the boys side? How much interest is there to play club on the boys side.? It would be just like him to get this started and make it look like rural schools to benefit himself and pit big and small against each other for his own personal gain, divide and conquer.

Coaches should be coaches and build a TEAM!! Who cares how many club players anyone has, do your job, be prepared and build on the personnel you have each seaon. A good coach motivates his players to work on their own and in the off season even if they do not play club. Plus a team can be loaded with talent and still lose because again it takes a good coach to bring the players together as a team! Too may stars can be as big a problem as not enough.

The TSSAA is proposing that no more than 5 players from the same school can play on the same club team in the off season. If there are more than 5, then those players are ineligible for Highschool soccer.

this is not only ridiculous but its entirely impossible!! there is no way they can automatically make some players ineligible due to the fact that they play club soccer with certain people.

First you say:

We need to start by coming together, not slamming rural or bigger schools because we are giving TSSAA power if we are divided.

Then you turn around and say:

Yes soccer37830 I agree with informed it is OJ's style because he is out manned on the boys side. Your response was from a girls' parents prospective. How many club players does he have on the boys side? How much interest is there to play club on the boys side.? It would be just like him to get this started and make it look like rural schools to benefit himself and pit big and small against each other for his own personal gain, divide and conquer.

Pretty hypocritical of you, I must say.

I think its pretty clear that "informed", "soccer37830", and "dobie" are all the same person with the same M.O. Sign up for a new username, then bash Oak Ridge. I'm sure that their coach would be more than happy to discuss this odd obsession you have with their program. Why don't you discuss it with him and stop trashing them here? I'm sure that you can find his email address on their website, or you can probably find the school's phone number online. And why are you so worried about them anyway? They didn't win their district or their region, and it seems clear that you are a Bearden supporter. Can't you just be happy that your team won state?

This may be a really stupid question, but who votes on the rules? Do all coaches from all sports vote or is it broken down by individual sports? Does the TSSAA just make these rules and everyone follows them? I haven't seen anyone agree to this rule, but it sounds like everyone is just blindly deciding it will be passed.

Hey G, I was leaving the school today and listening to some sportstalk in Knoxville with a man criticising TSSAA over some football issue. The thought occurred to me that while we have a good following on here, why not help spread the message through other means to help garner support. I thought maybe we should talk to Jesse Smithey about an article and speak to the folks at the sports animal and let as many people know about this as possible. I know there must be alot of people who do not check out this site or may have missed the post on the new rule. Don't know if you had already considered it or maybe have done so, but it was an idea. We need to get the message out and garner alot of support or our voice will be a whisper. Like an earlier poster stated, we seem reserved to the fact this is going to pass and we are complaining in advance instead of taking action to prevent this thing. If nothing else, lets announce when we may meet and discuss the issue. I don't have alot of kids playing club, most of ours play football in the fall, but this rule is ignorant when applied to soccer.