Bearden @ Science Hill

topvol98

So this Central is an 5A team or what? I'm just looking for some details so that I can put the win in context, I'm not really familiar with the Knoxville teams.

topvol98

Central is a perennial 4A power that, unfortunately for them, just happens to reside in the same region as the elite 4A team in the state, the Maryville Rebels. They are one of the few area teams that can give the Rebels a game year in and year out. The Bobcats are known for their team speed and quality playmakers. Needless to say this was an eye opening win for Bearden.

As far as the Bulldog/Topper matchup, this game will go along way in determining the pecking order for region 1. The loser will likely be relegated to no better than third and more likely fourth place since both already have a region loss in hand. The winner will keep their hopes alive for second in the region and an opportunity to host a first round playoff game (I don't know if JC has enough left in the tank at this point to be a factor or not).

Bearden has a solid defense (held DB and Central to 10 and 6 points respectively) with a balanced offense led by RB Works and the passing tandem of QB Halliday and WR Bunch. Bearden is 4 -2 but they have played a difficult schedule losing only to a good Farragut squad (who interesting enough was smoked by Central) and of course DB. New coach Bill Wilson has instilled confidence in the Bulldogs who are playing well and seem to have found their swagger.

After seeing the Toppers in person I know for a fact that they have the athletes and size to win but they seem to be missing some intangible that belies the talent they have. For whatever reason the sum just doesn't seem to equal the individual parts. It will be interesting to see if they can band together, play up to their potentiel and get revenge for lasts year setback at the hands of the Bulldogs. Either way it should be a good game between two pretty evenly matched teams with a lot at stake.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

topvol98

Central is a perennial 4A power that, unfortunately for them, just happens to reside in the same region as the elite 4A team in the state, the Maryville Rebels. They are one of the few area teams that can give the Rebels a game year in and year out. The Bobcats are known for their team speed and quality playmakers. Needless to say this was an eye opening win for Bearden.

As far as the Bulldog/Topper matchup, this game will go along way in determining the pecking order for region 1. The loser will likely be relegated to no better than third and more likely fourth place since both already have a region loss in hand. The winner will keep their hopes alive for second in the region and an opportunity to host a first round playoff game (I don't know if JC has enough left in the tank at this point to be a factor or not).

Bearden has a solid defense (held DB and Central to 10 and 6 points respectively) with a balanced offense led by RB Works and the passing tandem of QB Halliday and WR Bunch. Bearden is 4 -2 but they have played a difficult schedule losing only to a good Farragut squad (who interesting enough was smoked by Central) and of course DB. New coach Bill Wilson has instilled confidence in the Bulldogs who are playing well and seem to have found their swagger.

After seeing the Toppers in person I know for a fact that they have the athletes and size to win but they seem to be missing some intangible that belies the talent they have. For whatever reason the sum just doesn't seem to equal the individual parts. It will be interesting to see if they can band together, play up to their potentiel and get revenge for lasts year setback at the hands of the Bulldogs. Either way it should be a good game between two pretty evenly matched teams with a lot at stake.

Well said . . . and so true.

GO TOPPERS

Yeah, it does seem that Science Hill is having an hard time being an good team this year. I'm not sure of the problem but they do have alot of quality talent and decent depth. It might have something to do with players not being comfortable or understanding what their roles are with the team. Maybe this will be the week that everything comes together and they start playing with excitement and passion.

I know that they Toppers' are coming off an 21-0 shout win of Cherokee but I wasn't very impressed with the Chiefs. This is the Toppers' first victory of an team with an winning record but it seemed that they left an lot of points on the field and it wasn't the domination that the score or stats makes it look like. Cherokee just wasn't very good. I'm not an pesstimist by any means but I thought that going into this game that they would beat Cherokee and people would think they are fixed. This game will tell where the Toppers are this season.

From what I'm hearing, Bearden will be the most talented defensive team that have faced this season. They run and true 4-4 and dare you to beat them in the air. The Topper's haven't been able to do that and Tennessee High and Sevier County were able to play enough defenders around the line of scrimmage to limit the running games effectiviness. I like the I-formation and what it brings to the table but I really don't know if the offensive line is getting good pushes off the ball to create holes consistently. If that happens to give the backs some running lanes, the offense will be okay and won't have to worry about the vertical passing game. If the Toppers can rush for over 200 yards, I really like their chances. The Bulldog defense has really shut down most of their opponents running games and it took an late big play in the passing game for the might db to escape with an win earlier this season.

The Topper defense looked good against an undermanned Cherokee that was one dimensional and alot of that was because the defense made them that way. Great penetration and pursuit to the ball all night long. Good tackling. I believe that this will be the most pass oriented team they will have faced this season (correct me if I'm wrong Bulldogs) so getting to the quaterback and finishing him off will be important. The qb-wr combo will be the best that this defense have faced and probably the least athletic qb they have gone against. That's not an knock on Bearden's qb but I believe that he's not the running threat that Watson, Smith, Milan or Thomas have been, at least I hope not. Can the Toppers make the Bulldogs one dimensional? Not sure.

With DB having an open date... I am going to this game. Bearden is well coached, has some good players and a pretty good QB. No question that Bearden gave the Indians their toughest game to date... including Oak Ridge.

Bearden 24

S Hill 07

It sure is nice for Bearden to get a compliment as most do not give them any credit. It looks as if they have turned a corner as they have never been a football school. They do pretty well in basketball, baseball and soccer.

One of the many things that worry me about this game Friday is the distraction of homecoming for the players. I’ve told my son to come into Memorial Stadium, focused and ready to play hard or they will get their butts kicked. This is a very important game for both teams. No room for a lot of errors.

My son just kinda looks at me and says, "I know, Dad". <_< I'm probably more worried about it than he is. . .lol :unsure: