Boone @ Cocke County

mikey65

Academic Football for this game.

Stop the run.

Run the ball.

Team that does it best will win.

Cocke County got some momentum last night with a 7 point win over South Greene (returned a blocked punt 50 yards for the game-winning TD with 3:45 to play). But the Cocks got gashed defensively, giving up somewhere around 364 yards of offense and 265 on the ground.

Cocke County will have to stop the run effectively, which they've not done all year. And will have to bank on turnovers, they were +4 last night at South Greene.

You neglected to mention the 146 yards offense for the Fighting Cocks. I would not exactly call that momentum.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You neglected to mention the 146 yards offense for the Fighting Cocks. I would not exactly call that momentum.

Whether its one yard of offense, or 146 - a win is a win, and provides momentum - especially for a program that hasnt exactly won a lot recently.

The way the win occurs provides some mometum.

And of course, I didnt exactly hype things up, just said it provided momentum.

But then again, you would be bound and determined to trash Cocke County. At least several of the fine folks from South Greene were classy enough to give a standing ovation to Cocke County after the game.

Edited by PTSportsWriter

I think it is pretty obvious that a very strong Boone team is going to be headed down to Newport to play a down and out Cocke County team. I played against Cocke County when they had a hard nosed program, but it looks like those days might be gone.

Boone 35

CC 7

It just isn't going to be close. As long as Boone shows up and plays with determination, this is going to be a one sided game.

I'll address the "it looks like those days might be gone" comment.

I think its unfair to judge that at that point. Things went downhill for the past several years, but the new coach is pretty much heckbent on restoring on that hard-nosed image you referred to.

He preaches effort and discipline a lot. Take away the Cherokee game and I think Cocke County has given a good effort this season, being undermanned and out-talented in every game. They did lose the Carter/Greeneville games by a combined 69-0, but Carter scored 20 of their 34 in the fourth quarter off two turnovers (INT and blocked punt) deep in CC territory and a cheapy RUTS touchdown near the end. Against Greeneville, Cocke County had bad field position all night. Two Cocke County turnovers gave Greeneville 14 of their 35 on the night.

Am I saying that Cocke County is one of the better teams in the region? No. Not yet. Am I saying that Cocke County will beat and/or Hang with Boone? No.

Just looking for a little bit of respect for the kids that put on that uniform. They've endured a lot and I honestly think they're committed to trying to make a difference and turn things around. Unfortunately, it takes a while to turn things around for a program that won 6 games in three years (and three of those wins were against David Crockett).

They get a bad rep, number one because they're from Cocke County and number two, because they were a once proud program that has underwent tough times in the past 4-5 years.

I'll address the "it looks like those days might be gone" comment.

I think its unfair to judge that at that point. Things went downhill for the past several years, but the new coach is pretty much heckbent on restoring on that hard-nosed image you referred to.

Just looking for a little bit of respect for the kids that put on that uniform. They've endured a lot and I honestly think they're committed to trying to make a difference and turn things around. Unfortunately, it takes a while to turn things around for a program that won 6 games in three years (and three of those wins were against David Crockett).

They get a bad rep, number one because they're from Cocke County and number two, because they were a once proud program that has underwent tough times in the past 4-5 years.

I apologize, maybe I have been a bit harsh with the words that I used.

I say that because I remember playing a Cocke County team that did what needed to be done. If a team didn't play a perfect game against them, they would lose. We played one of the best games ever against them in 97, and still Bubba White was too much to handle. A close game at the end, but wow........it was an amazing team.

It takes a while for a new coach to break things in. I believe Coach Jenkins is in his third year at Boone, though I might be wrong and it could be his second year. All I know is that a new coach steps into a program and it takes at least two to three years to see the impact that he has made on the program.

As far as respect goes, I dish that out off of certain things. If the kid goes through the two a days, survives the beatings and hard work that is required, plays with respect and determination, then you will never hear a word out of me saying "you stink, it doesn't matter, go home, blah blah" nope nope not me. Why? Because I know kids like that WANT to win, they need that win, and even if they are 0-5, they will go as hard as they can to beat those so called "good" teams.

I guess I just see Cocke County as a mere shadow of what they used to be. 4-5 "bad" years for a program is hard to get over. It takes a total rebuild by coaches and players. They have to put in a lot of extra work off season and come in with a do or die attitude.

To be honest with you about something else, I was against Boone being moved to region 2. Why? Two years ago you had the top four teams from region 1 beating every region 2 team in the play offs. It just looked like a weaker conference (notice the past tense there). Besides Morristown West, I saw Region 2 as just not as hard as region 1. Now, it looks like we have some teams that are putting together great programs to dig deep into the play offs. It would please me greatly to see better competition from the teams that are usually at the bottom of the barrel. The better and tougher each of these conferences are, the more likely you will finally see one of these region 1 and 2 teams finally bring home a state championship in this century.

Whether its one yard of offense, or 146 - a win is a win, and provides momentum - especially for a program that hasnt exactly won a lot recently.

The way the win occurs provides some mometum.

And of course, I didnt exactly hype things up, just said it provided momentum.

But then again, you would be bound and determined to trash Cocke County. At least several of the fine folks from South Greene were classy enough to give a standing ovation to Cocke County after the game.

I don't intend to trash Cocke County my little pt....just you. I have nothing against Cocke County or the fine people there...just you. I find the majority of your posts to be arrogant and self indulgent. And you really should lose the "poor Cocke County, everyony hates us" routine...it really is unbecoming. Yes, you have a bad rep...but you made that bed and now you are going to have to lie in it. Respect has to be earned and if you can't earn it with talent at least you can build it with attitude. Playing that "poor us" card just inspires pity.

I've never been to a game in Newport before. Is the field at the school or is it like Elizabethton or Science Hill where they're at different locations?

Its at the school.

Parking is a tight situation, luckily there is room to park at the school stadium lot and at the school. There's also locales across the street from the stadium and at the baseball field/school system office (All a small walk).

Seating isnt a problem. The long drive from Gray is always fun however.... :thumb:

I've never been to a game in Newport before. Is the field at the school or is it like Elizabethton or Science Hill where they're at different locations?

You will really enjoy the game in Newport.They are a good-natured, rowdy bunch of fans with a lot of spirit. Get there early though or you will walk a ways. Parking is tight, but not as bad as Betsy.

I don't intend to trash Cocke County my little pt....just you. I have nothing against Cocke County or the fine people there...just you. I find the majority of your posts to be arrogant and self indulgent. And you really should lose the "poor Cocke County, everyony hates us" routine...it really is unbecoming. Yes, you have a bad rep...but you made that bed and now you are going to have to lie in it. Respect has to be earned and if you can't earn it with talent at least you can build it with attitude. Playing that "poor us" card just inspires pity.

I must have stayed in bed a little too long. Can you please refresh my memory: what exactly did Cocke County do to deserve a bad reputation?