Melrose vs. Fairley Region Showdown

orangemoundwest

formerCoach81. The Buffalo Bills? Man that's cold. We actually do have a couple of championships. :thumb: Anyway this conversation started out with you saying that Melrose would not make it to the semi-finals then changed to the finals. Now you say if they do make it to the finals, there is a top 25 team waiting on them.W which means you now see a chance (however remote) that they could get there.

Secondly, I never said this year's team was as good as last year's team. I agree they are not. However, they don't have to be. They only have to be better than who they are playing on that night or day. This is a Melrose reloading year, primarily Sophs. and Jrs. Their best football is yet to come. They will have a season of games under their belt by playoff time.

I have the utmost respect for the Maryville football program. We have lost to them the last two years and I offer no excuses. They won the games and deserved the victory. Period.

This years Maryville team is good as they always are. However, even their fans say they are not as good as their last couple of teams.

As far as a national prep poll goes, I don't give them a lot of credence. I live in the Dallas, Texas area and have had the opportunity to see a several teams tihis year not ranked in the polls that IMO would come to Tennessee and soundly defeat Melrose or Maryville.

formerCoach81, You are very welcome to your opinion and it is respected. However, when your logic is based on statements like "you have heard these teams are good" and "Melrose has blown too many shots at it so Melrose won't make it back" and "They won't always come around". it's hard not to notice a lack of substance. It almost sounds like a little hateration

I don't know how far Melrose will make it this year. But they won't lose because they have been there too many times, or won't always come around, or you HEARD some other teams were good. It will be because some team came to Melrose or Murfreesboro and beat them. Period

Just my opinion :lol:

I guess we'll just see what we'll see. But the heresay you talk about is phone cals to contacts (coaches) in Mid TN and West Tn. I'm basing my opinion on that. If you live in Texas how in the world do you know what is going on in TN? Have you seen Henry County. I talked to a coach yesterday afternoon about this very subject. He has seen multiple tapes of both HC and Melrose this year. He showed me Henry County tape yesterday afternoon. He says Melrose wouldn't make it past Henry County. This one of the winningest coaches in West Tn over the past decade. I respect his opinion enough to believe in what he says and after seeing the tape on them I'm inclined to agree as well. As far as the maybe having a little hatred, I wouldn't say that. I'm just not fond of, is better. I can't help but associate Melrose with one of it's former coaches who in the early 90's refused to shake the hand of one of the winningest coaches in the state's history before a playoff game. As a matter of fact, he said, "I'm not shaking your M...f..ing hand". Well, then Melrose got the crap kicked out of them. I know none of the kids there now were associated with that and as respect to you and the people at the Melrose program presently I will try to put that thought behind me. Good luck the rest of the season.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we'll just see what we'll see. But the heresay you talk about is phone cals to contacts (coaches) in Mid TN and West Tn. I'm basing my opinion on that. If you live in Texas how in the world do you know what is going on in TN? Have you seen Henry County. I talked to a coach yesterday afternoon about this very subject. He has seen multiple tapes of both HC and Melrose this year. He showed me Henry County tape yesterday afternoon. He says Melrose wouldn't make it past Henry County. This one of the winningest coaches in West Tn over the past decade. I respect his opinion enough to believe in what he says and after seeing the tape on them I'm inclined to agree as well. As far as the maybe having a little hatred, I wouldn't say that. I'm just not fond of, is better. I can't help but associate Melrose with one of it's former coaches who in the early 90's refused to shake the hand of one of the winningest coaches in the state's history before a playoff game. As a matter of fact, he said, "I'm not shaking your M...f..ing hand". Well, then Melrose got the crap kicked out of them. I know none of the kids there now were associated with that and as respect to you and the people at the Melrose program presently I will try to put that thought behind me. Good luck the rest of the season.

formerCoach81,

As far as the previous Coach you talk about, I can't support a number of things he did or allowed to happen under his watch. Having played for Melrose during a time when humility, pride. and class were a premium, it was hard to watch and hear things like what you stated above. As a matter of fact, I think I know the state semi-final playoff game you are referencing that took place in the Nashville area. I was at that game and listened to the oppossing coach voice his displeasure during the post game interview. Melrose was defeated by White House in the finals the next week.

The coaches and kids that have been at Melrose since have really worked hard to do things the right way. He is gone now and the Melrose program is better for it.

I still make it to Memphis, check out games sometimes and have tapes sent to me. My parents still live in Orange Mound. It's tougher this year as I have a son playing high school ball down here. I saw Henry County play once last year, but have not seen them this year. I would not say they can't beat us, only that it will not be easy coming to Melrose and doing it.

I am looking forward to seeing how things play out.

I have enjoyed our dialogue and fully understand your problems with that previous coach. I hope we can earn your respect by doing thing the right way. I look forward to future kicking it around with you on CoachT.

TraderB, I am new to posting on this site but have been a reader for years and am from the Memphis area. Do you really think that Ridgeway can't compete with Melrose?!?!? I disagree. Possibly since the QB is out, the advantage would be to Melrose. But aside from that, Ridgeway has the discipline to beat Melrose this year IMO. A full game would likely go in favor of the Roadrunners.

And as for HC, Melrose better look out and not think of them as "no problem." I seen them and they are for real. I would not want to see Ridgeway play them again! They have more weapons than first meets the eye.

If Melrose will get there heads out of their tails then they should beat Fairley by 30 as their record is over inflated. Anyway, that's how I see it. I Enjoy reading your posts throughout the Memphis region. Thanks!

Sleuthey,

Welcome to the great CoachT board! It's great to get another viewpoint from the Memphis-area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, let me clarify my Melrose/Ridgeway position.

I think my earlier comments, somehow, got misconstrued. I do believe that Ridgeway can compete with Melrose. No doubt. I just don't believe that Ridgeway can actually beat Melrose, regardless of the QB. That's neither a slap at Ridgeway nor an implication that Ridgeway is some sort of "pushover." Far from it!

Ridgeway and Melrose have, arguably, the two best football programs in Memphis. The difference is that Melrose just has more playmakers, more overall talent, a better defense and greater team speed.

Please do not underestimate the tangible effects of the differences between Ridgeway and Melrose. These dynamics manifest themselves everytime these two teams play. They were painfully obvious in recent (FULL) games between these two squads: Ridgeway just had a hard time matching up. Period. The result was that they lost 3 or 4 strait real games to Melrose.

While this year's Ridgeway/Melrose jamboree matchup was an abbreviated game, rest assured that the result was no abberation. The dynamic differences between these two teams were on FULL display....Until Ridgeway closes this critical gap, they'll likely continue to lose to Melrose (12-minutes at a time or 20-minutes at a time) year-after-year-after-year....

A Henry County fan commented that...if you throw out QB Madison's scramble plays and the resulting 2 TD's, Ridgeway actually dominated Melose during its 14-0 jamboree loss to Melrose...

Well, I'm sorry--that's a faulty premise! Therefore the conclusion is faulty.

First off, you can't throw out the TD's. They still count. Secondly, It supposes that Madison is (was) Melrose's only playmaker....Well, were it not Madison, iit would have been someone else making the key plays, just like in all the recent games between these two teams. Furthermore, Ridgeway still could not score.

Playmakers + Talent + Defense + Speed = Melrose's perennial edge over the majority of its foes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Henry County...

I'm sure they're no slouch. I agree--Melrose must take 'em seriously... I rest my case. Let's just wait and see what unfolds. Good luck to HC....I look forward to the potential HC/Melrose rematch!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go Ridgeway. Go Melrose. Memphis needs two more State Football Championships

Again, Welcome aboard Sleuthy!

Springfield has beaten 0-6 Seigal 2-3 Mt. Juliet, 2-3 Rossview, 0-5 Shelbyville, 2-3 HUnters Lane, for a grand total of 6-20

What makes you think that they are very tough.

Siegel has a good team but just cant get things in the right direction, i admit rossview and shelbyville were easy teams for Springfield, MJ has won one of there region match-ups but they have played Lebanon(5A) & Wilson Central(5A) and loss, they are a decent team, The real test for Springfield will start tonight against Beech,(1 of the 3 games, they need to win to be a compeitor,sorry about spelling) tough team who has lost to Gallitan, and other 2 losses from Kenwood and Clarksville, Springfield plays them on Week 9 and 10, now if they can run the table, or come out 9-1(Win the Region Title) I would then watch out for them, until then they are just another team.

Sorry about posting on 2 other team boards but i saw this post and had to put my input in :lol:

Edited by ut18vols

As reported in the Memphis Commercial Appeal, Fairley players are fired up for this contest. The Winner will be in the driver's seat for the region title. .. I expect a tough road test for my Golden Wildcats.

What happened--how about a post-game summary, someone?

I attended the South Panola vs. Olive Branch game (SP 12 -- OB 7), instead.

Thanks in advance.

TraderB,

Melrose won 12 6. Currently I don't have many details. Fairley's TD was scored on an interception.

Thanks, OMW.

It looks like Melrose's defense has improved tremendously, since the MUS game. The offense seems to be stuggling, big time.

What's up with starting QB, Toney--did he play?

I caught a glimpse of the sports highlights...the 2nd string QB was in all the Melrose highlights.

Thanks, OMW.

It looks like Melrose's defense has improved tremendously, since the MUS game. The offense seems to be stuggling, big time.

What's up with starting QB, Toney--did he play?

I caught a glimpse of the sports highlights...the 2nd string QB was in all the Melrose highlights.

Toney did not start but came in later. He injured a shoulder against Hamilton.and I heard that he did not look sharp tonight. He is the one that threw the interception that Fairley scored on.

The defense is winning the games for us right now. The kicking game went south tonight too. A bad snap and a bad kick.

Trader, I guess Ob is for real. they put up a heck of a game tonight against SP. How did the line stack up for ob compared to sp.

Yes, OB is for real!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OB's defensive line was not as big but, amazingly, managed to contain SP's power-running game, for the most part. I expected OB to get flat-foot, blown off the ball. They hung tough, though. Its linebackers really shot the gaps very well. They executed a great defensive game plan.... It's secondary did not get tested, as SP rarely threw the ball. This enabled OB to keep 8-9 defenders in the box.. Once SP did throw, it was usually a successful short screen -- out in the flat....OB' offense ran out the shotgun the entire game (excpt for about 2 or 3 times). They're a quick-strike, pass-1st, run-2nd offense. Its QB is a very accurate passer, whey given time to throw.

SP has an ol' fashioned, "4-yards in a cloud of dust" POWER-running offense. Its OL is absolutely HUGE and powerful (I seriously think the Miss HS Football Assoc needs to check them boy's birth certificates! They look like over-grown men...jeez)! It's very easy to see how they manage to dominate teams, via the run. Heck, why pass the ball when you can just blow the other team right off the ball, and run right over them!

SP's DL is big, but not quite as big as its OL ...man, they're fast and ferocious hitters. They punished OB with some serious hits all night long, causing numerous fumbles and dropped passes... SP's pass defense is average, but had an uncanny knack for bruising, ball-jarring pops on the receivers....OB's receivers went across the middle only ONE TIME. That was it! One of the kids got hit so hard that he must have thought he had gotten hit by a mack truck (kinda reminiscent of the hits Melrose put on Maryville's receivers 2 years ago)!

SP played a 3-4 defense and rarely blitzed. In my view, they should have blitzed more, a whole lot more. They gave the OB QB way too much time to pass. He picked SP's secondary apart, with his accuaracy. The problem was, once the OB receivers caught the ball, they got popped so hard that they often dropped the pass or fumbled the ball.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In summary, this was a great competitive game--plenty of missed opportunities, but lots of of clutch plays, great execution and discipline from both team (on both sides of the ball). Very few penalties. Great defense, overall... I came away very impressed with both OB and SP. They do their "thing" very well: Sp's Power vs OB's finesse. Tonight, though, the defenses ruled the day.

PS I suspect that these 2 teams are gonna meet up again, somewhere down the playoff line.

Yes, OB is for real!

OB's defensive line was not as big but, amazingly, managed to contain SP's power-running game, for the most part. I expected OB to get flat-foot, blown off the ball. They hung tough, though. Its linebackers really shot the gaps very well. They executed a great defensive game plan.... It's secondary did not get tested, as SP rarely threw the ball. This enabled OB to keep 8-9 defenders in the box.. Once SP did throw, it was usually a successful short screen -- out in the flat....OB' offense ran out the shotgun the entire game (excpt for about 2 or 3 times). They're a quick-strike, pass-1st, run-2nd offense. Its QB is a very accurate passer, whey given time to throw.

SP has an ol' fashioned, "4-yards in a cloud of dust" POWER-running offense. Its OL is absolutely HUGE and powerful (I seriously think the Miss HS Football Assoc needs to check them boy's birth certificates! They look like over-grown men...jeez)! It's very easy to see how they manage to dominate teams, via the run. Heck, why pass the ball when you can just blow the other team right off the ball, and run right over them!

SP's DL is big, but not quite as big as its OL ...man, they're fast and ferocious hitters. They punished OB with some serious hits all night long, causing numerous fumbles and dropped passes... SP's pass defense is average, but had an uncanny knack for bruising, ball-jarring pops on the receivers....OB's receivers went across the middle only ONE TIME. That was it! One of the kids got hit so hard that he must have thought he had gotten hit by a mack truck (kinda reminiscent of the hits Melrose put on Maryville's receivers 2 years ago)!

SP played a 3-4 defense and rarely blitzed. In my view, they should have blitzed more, a whole lot more. They gave the OB QB way too much time to pass. He picked SP's secondary apart, with his accuaracy. The problem was, once the OB receivers caught the ball, they got popped so hard that they often dropped the pass or fumbled the ball.

In summary, this was a great competitive game--plenty of missed opportunities, but lots of of clutch plays, great execution and discipline from both team (on both sides of the ball). Very few penalties. Great defense, overall... I came away very impressed with both OB and SP. They do their "thing" very well: Sp's Power vs OB's finesse. Tonight, though, the defenses ruled the day.

PS I suspect that these 2 teams are gonna meet up again, somewhere down the playoff line.

Thanks for the recap. Gtwn Had the misfortune of a meeting with sp a few weeks ago. I witnessed the size and speed of the line. I was particularly impressed with #51 on their line who is listed in the program as a sophmore.

I thought that OB had not been tested up until this point. There performance was impressive.