Melrose vs. Fairley Region Showdown

orangemoundwest

TraderB

It is true we did not beat Ridgeway or Dickson Co. Both 5A schools with one loss between them. The only other team that has played us close is Kenwood which is 4-1 in 4A. We have only played two teams with losing records while Melrose has only played one team with a winning record.

I know that you can't tell much about teams from comparing opponents even common opponents, but I think Henry will come out of the region 7-8 bracket victorious. If we don't beat Melrose it will be because they weren't there.

Hope that we get that rematch in the third round, I would love to come to the Mound. It is true football tradition there.

Good luck the rest of the season and I hope both of us are there in November.

Believe me HC...you do NOT want to go to the MOUND...bad things man bad things B)

Edited by rhsplaya55

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so the bottom line is you havv heard these teams are good and Melrose has blown too many shots at it.. Hmmmm. so Melrose won't make it back. Hmmmm. The won't always come around. Hmmmm. <_<

That's exactly right. I'm comparing it to the Buffalo Bills. The fact of the matter is the've blown their chances and if they even got back there, they would be facing a National Top 25 team in Maryville will little to no chance. Some of the officials I've talked to that have worked Melrose games have said the same thing. They're good enough to beat the teams around here but that's about it. The MUS team that beat them is not even as good as before. Melrose pulled out a squeaker last week over a bad Hamilton squad. I know you're a fan and you see it different and that is your perogative as my opinion is mine. :thumb:

Edited by formerCoach81

HCHSfan,

It's great that you feel that Henry County is "much improved over last year."

Here's the problem: If an "improved" HC still can't beat Ridgeway, they sure as heck ain't gonna' beat Melrose.

While I don't expect for Melrose to make it back to the 4A Championship game, Henry County is not likely to be the team to beat them. Mark my words.....No, I don't know exactly which team will step up and actually beat Melrose; I just know who WILL NOT beat 'em -- that's Henry County.

P.S. This is not a slap at Ridgeway (I actually like Ridgeway); Melrose is still just a tad bit better, overall....just like they have been for the last 4-5 years, at least.

I am a logical kind of person, and Obviously, Melrose is the team that has to beat to move to the semis, but it is just not logical to compare a game in week 0 to a game say in mid November. I will say this, traderb, there is a reason that they play the game, I would bet that Henry county is better than Hamilton and everybody else in Region 8. From the sounds of things, I would say that Ridgeway is better than Melrose at this point. Yes I was at the Jamboree, and the big difference was Madison, without 2 big scrambles by Madison, ridgeway dominates that game. WHere is Madison now? Melrose is struggling to score. Agree or disagree, I do not care, but do not be so sure about who is not going to beat Melrose. I doubt that you have seen HC play this season. It is not the same team that playe dMelrose last season and guess what boys, it AINT the same Melrose team either.

This will be NO CONTEST!!!!! Melrose's defense will completely stifle Fairley! Look for Fairley to try and run off tackle out of the I. Melrose will key the depth of the tailback. When the tb is set 3 yds behind the fb. look for run. When the tb sets a yard behind the fb, he's there to block for pass. This will necessitate that Fairley go to the passing game. Look for a number of sacks, at least one fumble, and several interceptions that the melrose d will come up with. Melrose scores four offensive tds and at least one defensive td. Final score will be something like Melrose 37, Fairley 13.

That's exactly right. I'm comparing it to the Buffalo Bills. The fact of the matter is the've blown their chances and if they even got back there, they would be facing a National Top 25 team in Maryville will little to no chance. Some of the officials I've talked to that have worked Melrose games have said the same thing. They're good enough to beat the teams around here but that's about it. The MUS team that beat them is not even as good as before. Melrose pulled out a squeaker last week over a bad Hamilton squad. I know you're a fan and you see it different and that is your perogative as my opinion is mine. :P

formerCoach81. The Buffalo Bills? Man that's cold. We actually do have a couple of championships. :thumb: Anyway this conversation started out with you saying that Melrose would not make it to the semi-finals then changed to the finals. Now you say if they do make it to the finals, there is a top 25 team waiting on them.W which means you now see a chance (however remote) that they could get there.

Secondly, I never said this year's team was as good as last year's team. I agree they are not. However, they don't have to be. They only have to be better than who they are playing on that night or day. This is a Melrose reloading year, primarily Sophs. and Jrs. Their best football is yet to come. They will have a season of games under their belt by playoff time.

I have the utmost respect for the Maryville football program. We have lost to them the last two years and I offer no excuses. They won the games and deserved the victory. Period.

This years Maryville team is good as they always are. However, even their fans say they are not as good as their last couple of teams.

As far as a national prep poll goes, I don't give them a lot of credence. I live in the Dallas, Texas area and have had the opportunity to see a several teams tihis year not ranked in the polls that IMO would come to Tennessee and soundly defeat Melrose or Maryville.

formerCoach81, You are very welcome to your opinion and it is respected. However, when your logic is based on statements like "you have heard these teams are good" and "Melrose has blown too many shots at it so Melrose won't make it back" and "They won't always come around". it's hard not to notice a lack of substance. It almost sounds like a little hateration

I don't know how far Melrose will make it this year. But they won't lose because they have been there too many times, or won't always come around, or you HEARD some other teams were good. It will be because some team came to Melrose or Murfreesboro and beat them. Period

Just my opinion ;)

HCHSfan,

It's great that you feel that Henry County is "much improved over last year."

Here's the problem: If an "improved" HC still can't beat Ridgeway, they sure as heck ain't gonna' beat Melrose.

While I don't expect for Melrose to make it back to the 4A Championship game, Henry County is not likely to be the team to beat them. Mark my words.....No, I don't know exactly which team will step up and actually beat Melrose; I just know who WILL NOT beat 'em -- that's Henry County.

P.S. This is not a slap at Ridgeway (I actually like Ridgeway); Melrose is still just a tad bit better, overall....just like they have been for the last 4-5 years, at least.

TraderB

I hope that you and all of Melrose feel that way come November. I just hope we get the chance to meet you at the mound!

I am a logical kind of person, and Obviously, Melrose is the team that has to beat to move to the semis, but it is just not logical to compare a game in week 0 to a game say in mid November. I will say this, traderb, there is a reason that they play the game, I would bet that Henry county is better than Hamilton and everybody else in Region 8. From the sounds of things, I would say that Ridgeway is better than Melrose at this point. Yes I was at the Jamboree, and the big difference was Madison, without 2 big scrambles by Madison, ridgeway dominates that game. WHere is Madison now? Melrose is struggling to score. Agree or disagree, I do not care, but do not be so sure about who is not going to beat Melrose. I doubt that you have seen HC play this season. It is not the same team that playe dMelrose last season and guess what boys, it AINT the same Melrose team either.

Prophet,

No, I have not seen HC play. I have seen both Ridgeway and Melrose play, beyond the Jamboree. My unbiased observation indicates that Melrose has a slightly better team, overall. It pains me, somewhat, to admit that--because my loyalties actually lie with Ridegeway!

Have you seen Melrose play this year, Prophet, beyond the Jamboree?

I didn't think so.

While both Ridgeway and Melrose have solid football teams, Neither is as good as last year! Therefore, I stand by by earlier statement: If an improved HC can't beat a weakened Ridgeway squad, they likely won't beat a weakened Melrose either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will digress a bit and add this disclaimer, Phrophet: Ridgeway is far and away more disciplined than Melrose. Therefore, if Melrose continues its trend of poor discipline, Henry County STILL won't beat them---some OTHER team is gonna' eliminate Melrose, long before the potential rematch vs HC ever materializes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At any rate, Prophet, I know that HC fans are looking for reasons to feel confident about (potentially) defeating Melrose this year. That's fine--there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Therefore, by insisting that Ridgeway "dominated" Melrose--it would serve as (psychological) confirmation of HC's superiority over Melrose.

Well, Prophet, your very premise is faulty. Therefore, your conclusion is faulty.

Ridgeway did not dominate Melrose, during the Jamboree. The facts bear that out. Unbiased observation bears that out. Ridgeway was not better than Melrose then; they're not better than Melrose now. No amount of wishful thinking or he-said-she-said is going to change that fact.

Prophet, I really have a hard time understanding how you figured that Ridgeway dominated Melrose, despite its 14-0 loss, in the Jamboree. Here are the facts: Ridgeway was held scoreless and had only 1 sustained drive. It ended it a failed FG attempt. Melrose, on the other hand, dominated Ridgeway defensively. Offensively, it was sporadic but moved the ball more readily--albeit, scrambles and passes by Madison. Ridgeway's defense couldn't stop 'em.

Melrose's defense was the key to its Jamboree win vs Ridgeway. Take away Madison's TD throws....Ridgeway still could not score, no matter how you slice it.

Melrose's defense is still its biggest strength. The offense was sporadic during the Jamboree; its sporadic now.... Madison is gone and Melrose is still struggling to score. Fortunately for Melrose, its defense is still keeping its opponents (xcpt MUS) from outcscoring Melrose, just like it did vs Ridgeway during the jamboree.

Prophet, I respect your opinion and enjoy the dialogue. I stand firm in my opinion, however: If HC could not beat Ridgeway, they won't beat Melrose.....That's why they play the game, though. On that, we do agree.

Edited by TraderB

sorry i am just getting back to the board. we should beat fairley. but i think fairley has one of the best secondarys around. the hamilton game from saturday was awful!!!!! those were late hits on the qb! if he releases the ball and a lineman takes 4 to 5 steps then unload on him isn" t it apersonal foul!!!!!!!! # 4& 44 were hitting late all night long. i left right as the last fight was starting i was told it was questionable hit out of bounds on melrose on there sideline. no flag and they atarted kicking and trying to stomp on the melrose player. cthere coachs would not stop them and the police would not let our men off the sideline!!police had to brake it up. then i was told the fans on hamiliton side got to fighting worst game i have seen in 10 years. i am thinking about going to see s. panola destroy olive branch

:lol:

sorry i am just getting back to the board. we should beat fairley. but i think fairley has one of the best secondarys around. the hamilton game from saturday was awful!!!!! those were late hits on the qb! if he releases the ball and a lineman takes 4 to 5 steps then unload on him isn" t it apersonal foul!!!!!!!! # 4& 44 were hitting late all night long. i left right as the last fight was starting i was told it was questionable hit out of bounds on melrose on there sideline. no flag and they atarted kicking and trying to stomp on the melrose player. cthere coachs would not stop them and the police would not let our men off the sideline!!police had to brake it up. then i was told the fans on hamiliton side got to fighting worst game i have seen in 10 years. i am thinking about going to see s. panola destroy olive branch

:lol:

OMN,

How is Toney?

Prophet,

No, I have not seen HC play. I have seen both Ridgeway and Melrose play, beyond the Jamboree. My unbiased observation indicates that Melrose has a slightly better team, overall. It pains me, somewhat, to admit that--because my loyalties actually lie with Ridegeway!

Have you seen Melrose play this year, ..... That's why they play the game, though. On that, we do agree.

TraderB, I am new to posting on this site but have been a reader for years and am from the Memphis area. Do you really think that Ridgeway can't compete with Melrose?!?!? I disagree. Possibly since the QB is out, the advantage would be to Melrose. But aside from that, Ridgeway has the discipline to beat Melrose this year IMO. A full game would likely go in favor of the Roadrunners.

And as for HC, Melrose better look out and not think of them as "no problem." I seen them and they are for real. I would not want to see Ridgeway play them again! They have more weapons than first meets the eye.

If Melrose will get there heads out of their tails then they should beat Fairley by 30 as their record is over inflated. Anyway, that's how I see it. I Enjoy reading your posts throughout the Memphis region. Thanks!