Melrose vs. Fairley Region Showdown

orangemoundwest

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks formerCoach81. We're in the driver's seat going down a long rugged road. I hope we are up to the task. It's going to be tough.

OMW,

Forget Melrose's discipline issues for a moment.....What's up with that impotent offense?

I'm totally shocked by Melrose's lack of offensive production, at this point in the season! I figured that they would have gotten their act together by now, especially with the gunslinger Toney at the helm (QB).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) What do you think Melrose needs to do, to get its offense clicking on all cylinders?

2) Is the offensive line just simply subpar, or something?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tell you what, OMW--Melrose had better figure something out (offensively) in a hurry. They can't keep putting all that pressure on its defense; I don't care how outstanding the defense is. Once they get into the playoffs, the offense is gonna HAVE to be a whole lot more productive. Otherwise, its defense is simply going to get worn down during the 2nd-half of those tougher ball games.

Lack of discipline and impotent offense....This young group of kids @ Melrose have a whole lot of work and growning up to do, between now and playoff time, if they expect to advance deep into the playoffs and seriously threaten to bring home the 4A State Football Title.

Personally, OMW, I sincerely hope Melrose gets its act together. They're Mphs' only bona fide shot at the 4A State Title.

Edited by TraderB

OMW,

Forget Melrose's discipline issues for a moment.....What's up with that impotent offense?

I'm totally shocked by Melrose's lack of offensive production, at this point in the season! I figured that they would have gotten their act together by now, especially with the gunslinger Toney at the helm (QB).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) What do you think Melrose needs to do, to get its offense clicking on all cylinders?

2) Is the offensive line just simply subpar, or something?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tell you what, OMW--Melrose had better figure something out (offensively) in a hurry. They can't keep putting all that pressure on its defense; I don't care how outstanding the defense is. Once they get into the playoffs, the offense is gonna HAVE to be a whole lot more productive. Otherwise, its defense is simply going to get worn down during the 2nd-half of those tougher ball games.

Lack of discipline and impotent offense....This young group of kids @ Melrose have a whole lot of work and growning up to do, between now and playoff time, if they expect to advance deep into the playoffs and seriously threaten to bring home the 4A State Football Title.

Personally, OMW, I sincerely hope Melrose gets its act together. They're Mphs' only bona fide shot at the 4A State Title.

TraderB,

Execution, execution, execution. We have a bye week coming up and the less formidable portion of the schedule following. Hopefully Toney can get healthy and we can work on our problems on the offensive side of the ball.

In order to be effective in the spread, it is imperative that the skill positions read the same thing, make the proper adjustments, and take what the defense is giving. We are simply not there yet. We have the players to be very good, but have work to do.

I have had the opportunity to watch the Southlake Carroll team which is the mythical national champion. They run the spread better than any high school team I have seen. The position they put DBs in is almost unfair. Melrose is as talented at the skill positions as Southlake, but from an execution standpoint, a long way apart.

IMO, repetition is the key and hopefully the several weeks before playoffs will help.

You are correct, we have to take pressure off the defense to better our chances of making it through the playoffs. We have to get better, period.

TraderB,

Execution, execution, execution. We have a bye week coming up and the less formidable portion of the schedule following. Hopefully Toney can get healthy and we can work on our problems on the offensive side of the ball.

In order to be effective in the spread, it is imperative that the skill positions read the same thing, make the proper adjustments, and take what the defense is giving. We are simply not there yet. We have the players to be very good, but have work to do.

I have had the opportunity to watch the Southlake Carroll team which is the mythical national champion. They run the spread better than any high school team I have seen. The position they put DBs in is almost unfair. Melrose is as talented at the skill positions as Southlake, but from an execution standpoint, a long way apart.

IMO, repetition is the key and hopefully the several weeks before playoffs will help.

You are correct, we have to take pressure off the defense to better our chances of making it through the playoffs. We have to get better, period.

OMW,

What's Southlake Carroll's secret to getting its skill players to become so sharp at reading, adjusting and exploiting defensive secondaries? Any idea?

Whatever THAT is, then Melrose's coaching staff needs to implement that EXACT same thing, ASAP

It seems like there must be more to it than repetition, 'cause Melrose has had a whole lot of that... to no avail!

Edited by TraderB

OMW,

What's Southlake Carroll's secret to getting its skill players to become so sharp at reading, adjusting and exploiting defensive secondaries?

Whatever THAT is, then Melrose's coaching staff needs to implement that EXACT same thing, ASAP.

Todd Dodge has been the coach for years. They run and have been running for years the same offense in all the feeder Jr high schools. During the off season they are working on their own year round Man it's run like a college program, is the only high school in Southlake, and has outstanding facilities.

We're working on our third head coach in three years. That makes it much more difficult to be consistent. However, if we can put up maybe 20 to 25 points a game, we would be hard to beat in Tennessee 4A.

Todd Dodge has been the coach for years. They run and have been running for years the same offense in all the feeder Jr high schools. During the off season they are working on their own year round Man it's run like a college program, is the only high school in Southlake, and has outstanding facilities.

We're working on our third head coach in three years. That makes it much more difficult to be consistent. However, if we can put up maybe 20 to 25 points a game, we would be hard to beat in Tennessee 4A.

Now, that takes "repetition" to a whole new level! Very impressive, indeed.

Looks like the best Melrose can do this season is just practice, practice, practice. There's no way to cram the years of experience and precision gained from the "feeder-school, same-system" type approach, that's the cornerstone of many great football PROGRAMS (Maryville comes to mind).

Long term, Melrose could benefit greatly from duplicating SLC's "program" approach:

1) Melrose's 1st challenge is to keep the same head Coach in place....the new Coach is an OLD man. Who knows how long he's gonna have the energy for coaching.

2) As for the "feeder-school, same-system..."

Melrose's head Coach has a whole lot of work/convincing to do, to get its feeder Middle School to buy-in to the "program" approach. That'll take an awful lot of energy. I'm not sure the old man (no offense) would be up to the task.... There are bound to be a lot of inflated egos (at the Middle school level) resisting the change. Such change would would surely require giving up some control/power over its Middle school football program.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMW, I appreciate your insight on the Texas powerhouse South Lake Carrol. It helps shed new light on the long-term challenges that lie ahead for Melrose, if it's to get over the proverbial "hump" (winning Championships, regularly) and establish itself as the SLC or South Panola of Tennessee.

Good luck to the Golden Wildcats.