Melrose vs. Fairley Region Showdown

orangemoundwest

FormerCoach81,

I can't argue with your view of the Melrose polish and letting teams hang aroound. However I was wondering,.......For Melrose not to make the semifinals, a team in region 7 will have to come to Melrose and beat them. Which team in region 7 do you think will be the one?

I'm sorry I misworded my post. I meant not make it past the semis to clarify. Unless I'm mistaken, they would have to go through the 1st, 2nd, and quarter final round before reaching the semis. If that's the case they would have already beaten everybody in region 7. Wouldn't the semi be the last game before the finals?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FormerCoach81,

I can't argue with your view of the Melrose polish and letting teams hang aroound. However I was wondering,.......For Melrose not to make the semifinals, a team in region 7 will have to come to Melrose and beat them. Which team in region 7 do you think will be the one?

OMW,

The team from Henry Co. is making a good try at running the gauntlet in 7-4A. We would love to have another chance to come to the Mound and give Melrose a run for their money. We had a great experience there last year and played Melrose as close as anyone until the semifinals. We are a much improved team over last year with many more weapons than the QB we had last year and he is back this year as well. Good luck and hope to see you in November.

Edited by HCHS fan

I'm sorry I misworded my post. I meant not make it past the semis to clarify. Unless I'm mistaken, they would have to go through the 1st, 2nd, and quarter final round before reaching the semis. If that's the case they would have already beaten everybody in region 7. Wouldn't the semi be the last game before the finals?

Yes the semi-finals would be the game before the finals pitting the West Tn. rep vs the Mid-State rep. The quarter finals woud be against a region 7 team.

I understand your clarification. So if Melrose can make it to the Semi-Final's which would also be played at Melrose, what mid-state team(s) do you see as making it to the finals?

Edited by orangemoundwest

OMW,

The team from Henry Co. is making a good try at running the gauntlet in 7-4A. We would love to have another chance to come to the Mound and give Melrose a run for their money. We had a great experience there last year and played Melrose as close as anyone until the semifinals. We are a much improved team over last year with many more weapons than the QB we had last year and he is back this year as well. Good luck and hope to see you in November.

I agree. Henry County played us extremely tough last year and appear to once again be a very good team. I hope we can hold our end of the deal and make it that deep in the playoffs.

Yes the semi-finals would be the game before the finals pitting the West Tn. rep vs the Mid-State rep. The quarter finals woud be against a region 7 team.

I understand your clarification. So if Melrose can make it to the Semi-Final,s which would also be played at Melrose, what mid-state team(s) do you see as making it to the finals?

Hillsboro, Maplewood, Springfield-take your pick- I hear they're all tough. I just think Melrose has blown too many shots at it. They won't always come around.

Hillsboro, Maplewood, Springfield-take your pick- I hear they're all tough. I just think Melrose has blown too many shots at it. They won't always come around.

Springfield has beaten 0-6 Seigal 2-3 Mt. Juliet, 2-3 Rossview, 0-5 Shelbyville, 2-3 HUnters Lane, for a grand total of 6-20

What makes you think that they are very tough.

OMW,

HCHSfan,

It's great that you feel that Henry County is "much improved over last year."

Here's the problem: If an "improved" HC still can't beat Ridgeway, they sure as heck ain't gonna' beat Melrose.

While I don't expect for Melrose to make it back to the 4A Championship game, Henry County is not likely to be the team to beat them. Mark my words.....No, I don't know exactly which team will step up and actually beat Melrose; I just know who WILL NOT beat 'em -- that's Henry County.

P.S. This is not a slap at Ridgeway (I actually like Ridgeway); Melrose is still just a tad bit better, overall....just like they have been for the last 4-5 years, at least.

Edited by TraderB

HCHSfan,

Here's the problem: If an "improved" HC still can't beat Ridgeway, they sure as heck ain't gonna' beat Melrose.

While I don't expect for Melrose to make it back to the 4A Championship game, Henry County is not likely to be the team to beat them. Mark my words.....No, I don't know exactly which team will step up and actually beat Melrose; I just know who WILL NOT beat 'em -- that's Henry County.

P.S. This is not a slap at Ridgeway (I actually like Ridgeway); Melrose is still just a tad bit better, overall....just like they have been for the last 4-5 years, at least.

Got to agree with you. They played us a good game but I didn't see anything that Melrose would have to worry about.

Their fans said (?) that they had alot of boys going both ways. That is going to be a problem if they are still haveing to do it. I never heard anyone say that the qb was hurt but he sure didn't do much against us. They were down 17 starting the 4th and they were running the ball up the middle 5 yards at a time. Took them 8 minutes to score. I just couldn't understand the play calling if the qb was supposed to be a good passer.

I am still hopeing to see Melrose play in the title game, you know the game before Ridgeways. If it plays out this way some of you Melrose fans better stay and cheer for us... B)B)

Ok, so the bottom line is you havv heard these teams are good and Melrose has blown too many shots at it.. Hmmmm. so Melrose won't make it back. Hmmmm. The won't always come around. Hmmmm. B)

HCHSfan,

TraderB

It is true we did not beat Ridgeway or Dickson Co. Both 5A schools with one loss between them. The only other team that has played us close is Kenwood which is 4-1 in 4A. We have only played two teams with losing records while Melrose has only played one team with a winning record.

I know that you can't tell much about teams from comparing opponents even common opponents, but I think Henry will come out of the region 7-8 bracket victorious. If we don't beat Melrose it will be because they weren't there.

Hope that we get that rematch in the third round, I would love to come to the Mound. It is true football tradition there.

Good luck the rest of the season and I hope both of us are there in November.

Got to agree with you. They played us a good game but I didn't see anything that Melrose would have to worry about.

Their fans said (?) that they had alot of boys going both ways. That is going to be a problem if they are still haveing to do it. I never heard anyone say that the qb was hurt but he sure didn't do much against us. They were down 17 starting the 4th and they were running the ball up the middle 5 yards at a time. Took them 8 minutes to score. I just couldn't understand the play calling if the qb was supposed to be a good passer.

I am still hopeing to see Melrose play in the title game, you know the game before Ridgeways. If it plays out this way some of you Melrose fans better stay and cheer for us... B)B)

PAPA

We did have several kids going both ways in that game. This year, we have very few kids playing on both sides of the ball. This year we also have several other weapons on offense and defense that we did not have last year. Melrose doesn't seem to be impressing people the way they have in years past. I just hope we both get that chance to see what happens.

Good luck to Ridgeway the rest of the year.