Melrose vs. Fairley Region Showdown

orangemoundwest

As reported in the Memphis Commercial Appeal, Fairley players are fired up for this contest. The Winner will be in the driver's seat for the region title.

In their last outing, Fairley was out gained in total yardage 337-302 by previously undefeated 3A rising power Sheffield, but won going away 36-8.

Some feel that Fairley has only played one quality opponent, a 13-0 loss to Whitehaven, and is not as good as their 5-1 record would indicate.

However, a young Melrose team has found ways to make some games closer than they should be. I expect a tough road test for my Golden Wildcats.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMW:

Here's Fairley's schedule:

Fairley Bulldogs

Sat Aug. 19 at Whitehaven L 0-13

Fri Aug. 25 Hamilton N J.P. Freeman W 22-8

Fri Sep. 1 at Raleigh Egypt R W 18-8

Fri Sep. 8 Hillcrest N at Oakhaven W 50-0

Fri Sep. 15 Memphis East N R at Melrose W 8-6

Fri Sep. 22 Sheffield N J.P. Freeman W 36-8

Fri Sep. 29 Melrose N R J.P. Freeman

Fri Oct. 6 at Oakhaven

Fri Oct. 13 Memphis Northside R J.P. Freeman

Fri Oct. 27 Kingsbury R J.P. Freeman

Strength Rank: 18th

Schedule Rank: 56th

Overall Record: 5-1

Region Record: 2-0

This isn't the strongest schedule in the world, but they beat those who they were suppose to beat. Melrose is going to have their hands full @ J.P. Freeman. Melrose and Fairley have Whithaven, Hamilton, and East in common to date with Melrose winning all 3 of their games vs Fairley's 2-1 record against these common opponents. I think Melrose wins this game ... but it's not going to be an easy victory.

As reported in the Memphis Commercial Appeal, Fairley players are fired up for this contest. The Winner will be in the driver's seat for the region title.

In their last outing, Fairley was out gained in total yardage 337-302 by previously undefeated 3A rising power Sheffield, but won going away 36-8.

Some feel that Fairley has only played one quality opponent, a 13-0 loss to Whitehaven, and is not as good as their 5-1 record would indicate.

However, a young Melrose team has found ways to make some games closer than they should be. I expect a tough road test for my Golden Wildcats.

What are your thoughts?

Orangemoundwest,

I watched Melrose on CSS a few weeks ago and i think they are very good again this year. I hope Melrose and Maryville both run the table and get to play each other at the BURO in December. It would be another great game between two 4A state poewrhouses!

OMW:

Did you read the CA's report on the Hamilton/Melrose game? I must admit ... when I rolled up to check out the score Sat. night, I was a little dumbfounded that Melrose was only up 8-0 late in the 3rd quarter. I watched Toney run it in for the second score, and then I left. I was astonished to read what I did online today. I had no idea that the game was that close ... but it is a rivalry game, and it sounded just like that too, from reading the report. What did your brother have to say about the game?

Orangemoundwest,

I watched Melrose on CSS a few weeks ago and i think they are very good again this year. I hope Melrose and Maryville both run the table and get to play each other at the BURO in December. It would be another great game between two 4A state poewrhouses!

Rebel9,

I hope we can do our part to get there. The good thing is that if we can handle Fairley this week, the chances are excellent that all playoff games until the final wouild be at home this year. The tough part is that this is a very young Melrose team that has to learn to get out of its own way. Playoff mistakes are often unforgiving as the quality of opposition gets so much better along the way. This is a heck of a table to run.

I have been following Maryville and Coach Quarles has the Rebels as tough as ever. It would be nice to meet again, but the road to the 'Boro is filled with issues.

OMW:

Did you read the CA's report on the Hamilton/Melrose game? I must admit ... when I rolled up to check out the score Sat. night, I was a little dumbfounded that Melrose was only up 8-0 late in the 3rd quarter. I watched Toney run it in for the second score, and then I left. I was astonished to read what I did online today. I had no idea that the game was that close ... but it is a rivalry game, and it sounded just like that too, from reading the report. What did your brother have to say about the game?

Yes I read the article. My brother says it was a game that he is" trying to forget". We lost composure.

This rivalry is so much more intense than many not affiliated with the schools understand. It has been like that for at least 50 years.

Toney went out in the 4th quarter with an injury. After the late hit on Justin Holloway near the Hamilton bench, the intensity and loss of composure escalated. My brother concurred with Coach Alexander, in that it simply got "out of hand".

Edited by orangemoundwest

Yes I read the article. My brother says it was a game that he is" trying to forget". We lost complsure.

This rivalry is so much more intense than many not affiliated with the schools understand. It has been like that for at least 50 years.

Toney went out in the 4th quarter with an injury. After the late hit on Justin Holloway near the Hamilton bench, the intensity and loss of composure escalated. My brother concurred with Coach Alexander, in that it simply got "out of hand".

I hope Toney isn't injured seriously!

OMW:

kwc,

I was at that game. The stat sheet is misleading. The final SCORE was close. The GAME was not.

Melrose's penalties and 3 turnovers are the ONLY things that kept this game from being a blowout!

Melrose dominated Hamilton, especially defensively, but turnovers killed its scoring opportunities: 2 times inside the Hamilton 10 yard line, and once more at the Hamilton 15 yard line.

Hamilton's offense was so anemic and overmatched, that it had me wondering how on earth they managed to score points on ANYBODY, let alone win a game! Their 1st score came after a Melrose bobbled bad-snap @ the Melrose 5 yard line. Other than that, Hamilton's offense did basically nothing. Though they did manage to have 2 or 3 big running plays, the ENTIRE game.

Final note: Melrose was good enough to overcome its 3 turnovers and stupid penalties this time; next time, they might not be so fortunate.

Edited by TraderB

I think Melrose is god enough to squeak by in this one. However, it is evident they are not the Melrose of old. They are not as polished nd are letting teams hang around. I don't see them making it back to the title game. I predict they don't get to the semis if they continue to play this way.

FormerCoach81,

I can't argue with your view of the Melrose polish and letting teams hang aroound. However I was wondering,.......For Melrose not to make the semifinals, a team in region 7 will have to come to Melrose and beat them. Which team in region 7 do you think will be the one?