who will beat So.pittsburg

Sp_Prince

Well when S.P. gets to the play offs they will gradually through the first three rounds go up in the difficulty of who they play. Each team will be pretty good, and then it will actually drop off. It will help them a lot more than Friendship who will likely play the likes of grace and then watertown or whoever. It will all depend on which team peaks at the right time.

I learned from watching FCS last year, i would much prefere to play Watertown as a semi-tough rematch, and then South Pitt in a showdown. The alternative being playing TC, Gordonsville, and then FCS in that order.

Kinda like last year how TC had to play Gordonsville and then the winner of South Pitt and FCS. I doubt they would have wanted to play both FCS and South Pitt back to back.

Plus, unless there is an unlikely sweep of region 4... (forget unlikely, it's just not happening), then Region 4 champ not only has an easier road to the burro, playing only South Pitt as a TOUGH GAME, they would also host all the way through.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marion Co. is capable of getting a win over the Pirates.

MC will be a tough game which is good for SP. It will tell alot about both teams.

Temple will be an OK match-up but just doesn't have the firepower and speed to match up. Didn't Taft score 40 or so on Temple? SP will get to work on their pass defense which will be good for later on.

well i think Temple has the best passing game in A ball myself, But will it be enough? and the Game being at Finley stadium as well. spitt has a great speedy defense and a faster offense i think some teams are suprised at there speed even tho they know they have speed. Temple will score . but not enough . and as far as Jasper goes, they are weak this year but any true Pirate fan knows you can throw all that out the window. this is possibly the best Rivalry in the sate has been and will be...Spitt is gotten to where there playing in a zone right now and we all know when a team is clicking its hard to beat them.. sure a weak schedule makes it rough but Vic wil have them up and ready for Temple and Jasper you can beat you last Dollar on that.. this is his last year as head coach he wants this Ring as bad as anyone ...

Edited by Geno

well i think Temple has the best passing game in A ball myself, But will it be enough? and the Game being at Finley stadium as well. spitt has a great speedy defense and a faster offense i think some teams are suprised at there speed even tho they know they have speed. Temple will score . but not enough . and as far as Jasper goes, they are weak this year but any true Pirate fan knows you can throw all that out the window. this is possibly the best Rivalry in the sate has been and will be...Spitt is gotten to where there playing in a zone right now and we all know when a team is clicking its hard to beat them.. sure a weak schedule makes it rough but Vic wil have them up and ready for Temple and Jasper you can beat you last Dollar on that.. this is his last year as head coach he wants this Ring as bad as anyone ...

I've been trying to tell Slick Richard that ...the Pirate Zone :thumb:

This being his last year is not a done deal so I wouldn't advertise as such

I think everyone is getting a little too far ahead of themselves right now. "Sure fire state championship." "No one will beat them." "Should move up to 2A."

First off, South Pittsburg is not going to just "walk" through the state championship this year. Friendship Christian is one of the teams that will have something to say about that. Friendship won the game last year in South Pittsburg by one point. I do know that South Pittsburg has improved from last year but what is to say that Friendship hasn't as well.

Also, Temple has not conceded the region to South Pittsburg either. Again, I know that South Pittsburg has improved from last year but so has Temple, especially since they are actually running an offense now that can help them win instead of just throwing it every down. The fact that they used the running game will make the game more difficult. Last year was a 17 point game. Not really a blowout. I think everyone in South Pittsburg was comfortable for the whole game but if Temple had used the running game last year more I think that it could have been a closer ball game.

The Jasper/Marion/Whatever you want to call them game will not be a gimme either. Jasper/Marion/Whatever you want to call them is not the same team right now that opened up getting smashed by Murphy. They beat the only team that gave South Pittsburg trouble by two points less than South Pittsburg beat them. Also, the last couple of years South Pittsburg was supposed to win that game but it didn't happen. Forget the excuses on why it didn't happen, I know them and use them as well. The end result doesn't change though. What's to say it won't happen this year as well. I hope that it doesn't but you never know what will happen.

South Pittsburg does play in a very weak region. I won't say it is the weakest in the state but it is pretty weak. That could change in the coming years as the new programs get some time in. Right now it is weak and yes, it does hurt. As for South Pittsburg running up the score, I'm not sure how to address that. One guy who scored twice against Bledsoe last week is actually 3rd string? Lower? And he could start on almost every other 1A team and a lot of higher teams in the state. Also, since the region is weak then the scores can get out of hand fairly quickly. Pulling the starters at half or after 3 quarters can hurt down the road. Sometimes it's not a bad thing to leave them in longer so they can stay sharp and keep their legs for when things do get tough. It is a tricky position to be in though. If you do that you risk injury that maybe you could avoid. You also get accused of running up the score when that is not the intention at all. But when you do put in your second or third stringers (and in some cases 4th and 5th) you can't ask them to just basically not try to score. They have been working in practice as well. If you have a 2nd or 3rd string QB in then I don't see a proble with throwing. He works hard every week too and wants his chance to prove himself. The only reason I bring this up is because someone mentioned it earlier I think.

The point of this long post is this. Let the players play, the coaches coach and us fans will do what we always do ... wonder about questions like the one that started this topic. But don't think that it will be easy to A) win a gold ball. :thumb: Make it to the state. C) Win the region. D) Go undefeated. We are halfway through the season and there are still a couple of good teams on the schedule and some real good teams in the playoffs. Let's see how it plays out. Besides, it's like Don Grider used to tell us when we were supposed to win or supposed to get beat. Any team can win on any given night.

Edited by The Drunken Sailor

I think everyone is getting a little too far ahead of themselves right now. "Sure fire state championship." "No one will beat them." "Should move up to 2A."

First off, South Pittsburg is not going to just "walk" through the state championship this year. Friendship Christian is one of the teams that will have something to say about that. Friendship won the game last year in South Pittsburg by one point. I do know that South Pittsburg has improved from last year but what is to say that Friendship hasn't as well.

Also, Temple has not conceded the region to South Pittsburg either. Again, I know that South Pittsburg has improved from last year but so has Temple, especially since they are actually running an offense now that can help them win instead of just throwing it every down. The fact that they used the running game will make the game more difficult. Last year was a 17 point game. Not really a blowout. I think everyone in South Pittsburg was comfortable for the whole game but if Temple had used the running game last year more I think that it could have been a closer ball game.

The Jasper/Marion/Whatever you want to call them game will not be a gimme either. Jasper/Marion/Whatever you want to call them is not the same team right now that opened up getting smashed by Murphy. They beat the only team that gave South Pittsburg trouble by two points less than South Pittsburg beat them. Also, the last couple of years South Pittsburg was supposed to win that game but it didn't happen. Forget the excuses on why it didn't happen, I know them and use them as well. The end result doesn't change though. What's to say it won't happen this year as well. I hope that it doesn't but you never know what will happen.

South Pittsburg does play in a very weak region. I won't say it is the weakest in the state but it is pretty weak. That could change in the coming years as the new programs get some time in. Right now it is weak and yes, it does hurt. As for South Pittsburg running up the score, I'm not sure how to address that. One guy who scored twice against Bledsoe last week is actually 3rd string? Lower? And he could start on almost every other 1A team and a lot of higher teams in the state. Also, since the region is weak then the scores can get out of hand fairly quickly. Pulling the starters at half or after 3 quarters can hurt down the road. Sometimes it's not a bad thing to leave them in longer so they can stay sharp and keep their legs for when things do get tough. It is a tricky position to be in though. If you do that you risk injury that maybe you could avoid. You also get accused of running up the score when that is not the intention at all. But when you do put in your second or third stringers (and in some cases 4th and 5th) you can't ask them to just basically not try to score. They have been working in practice as well. If you have a 2nd or 3rd string QB in then I don't see a proble with throwing. He works hard every week too and wants his chance to prove himself. The only reason I bring this up is because someone mentioned it earlier I think.

The point of this long post is this. Let the players play, the coaches coach and us fans will do what we always do ... wonder about questions like the one that started this topic. But don't think that it will be easy to A) win a gold ball. :D Make it to the state. C) Win the region. D) Go undefeated. We are halfway through the season and there are still a couple of good teams on the schedule and some real good teams in the playoffs. Let's see how it plays out. Besides, it's like Don Grider used to tell us when we were supposed to win or supposed to get beat. Any team can win on any given night.

Nice post :thumb:

Slick Rick says Temple will be better than some, but Marion has the best chance.

I agree with you Richard. MC will have the best chance of any of the regular season teams left and it will be a great football game as it usually is. As I said before Temple won't be able to hang with the Pirates for 4 quarters. As for playoffs the Pirates should be favored in the early play-off games until they meet up with FC (or whoever might upset FC). The state is winnable for the Pirates but by no means a done deal. There is a lot of tough football to even make it through the playoffs and whoever makes it to the other side in the finals won't be a powder puff

You coming to the SP - MC game? You need to look me up :thumb: