Injuries during the game........

Mustanmomma

I think it is very disrespectful when a player is down or carried off the field; both teams need to take a Knee! When you the parent of the player that is hurt ,your heart is already in your throat. I was very shocked when the team we played last night came in dressed in ties. I thought how classy. But when one of our players went down and the other players were talking and walking around, I knew then they didn't have the Class I thougth they did. They played a Good game, but I blame this on the coaches not the players. I know it's not a rule....just like wearing ties and dress pants into a game is not. I'm just very hurt by the actions of their coaches...shame on you coach, that was my son that was carried to the hospital. I wonder if it was one of their players if one of their coaches would have at least called and checked on the player in the ER...didn't happen here. Yes, I'm very upset with both teams! (coaches)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is very disrespectful when a player is down or carried off the field; both teams need to take a Knee! When you the parent of the player that is hurt ,your heart is already in your throat. I was very shocked when the team we played last night came in dressed in ties. I thought how classy. But when one of our players went down and the other players were talking and walking around, I knew then they didn't have the Class I thougth they did. They played a Good game, but I blame this on the coaches not the players. I know it's not a rule....just like wearing ties and dress pants into a game is not. I'm just very hurt by the actions of their coaches...shame on you coach, that was my son that was carried to the hospital. I wonder if it was one of their players if one of their coaches would have at least called and checked on the player in the ER...didn't happen here. Yes, I'm very upset with both teams! (coaches)

I hope your son is O.K.

I agree with you. It isnt a rule per TSSAA but it should be a rule of thumb. Any time there is a player down the teammates of the player and the other team should take a Knee it shows several different things in the team, respect, concern,manners,hope,sportsmanship and most of all CARE for their fellow players. My son will tell his team mates to take a knee if a player is down some dont always like it but he gets them to one knee. I hope your son will be ok and have a speedy recovery and find himself back in the field. God Bless you and your son.You are in our prayers here in Harriman.

I don't know when this started,it's a relatively new thing....I think it is a good gesture to do...I think it's a little harsh to say a team is without class not to take the helmet off and take a knee..God,forbid either of my sons gets in that situation where they are the ones on the ground,but I don't believe my first thought would be why are the opposing players not on a knee....Now,on the other hand if they were jawing and pointing and high fiving about my kid being hurt,that would be different...Of course if that was happening,I would imagine that security would have to be keeping me off the field to keep a situation from occurring....

From one football parent to another,I pray every day that neither of my two ever get injured playing this game.....I hope your son is O.K. and gets back on the field very soon.... :angry:

It's a good gesture. But you shouldn't feel disrespected because the other team didn't go the extra mile. I honestly doubt they were at all pleased that your son was injured. In that situation, just worry about your child's well-being and not how much "class" is being shown by the other team. No "class" at all is better than bad "class".

That said, I hope everything works out great for your son.

I dont think anyone wants to see anybody get hurt in a game but i can tell you when i played both high school and college football that if someone was hurt i usally had other things to do besides take a knee. I have seen teams with small kids, say sub 10 do this as it is a way to control the kids while the adults take care of the business at hand.

Not to seem mean or any thing but the game will more than likely go on unless there is a death on the feild. that is not be disrespectful or mean but just focused on the task at hand.

I do think it is the right thing to do to clap when a player is able to get up on his own or with assitance and carry themselves off the feild as a sign of respect to someone who has given there all in a game.

Edited by k12koop

I understand it is considered the thing to be done in that case, but it is not disrespectful in my mind if no one takes a knee. They should not celebrate the injury, but taking a knee should not determine class. The way I see it, and I may be wrong, but taking a knee may have been a gesture of praying for the injured, which is a great thing to do. I never played football, so I have never been injured on the field, but I did wrestle, and I suffered a season ending injury to my shoulder my Freshman year of college, some took a knee others did not, they kept warming up, I couldn't tell you who did what, it did not matter to me. As for the coaches, they should check on their player, irregardless of what caliber. As a coach, every kid got the same attention when it came to caring about injuries. I would always check on them and get updates. Taking a knee does not show class or lack of, clapping for the guy getting up does.

I agree with you. It isnt a rule per TSSAA but it should be a rule of thumb. Any time there is a player down the teammates of the player and the other team should take a Knee it shows several different things in the team, respect, concern,manners,hope,sportsmanship and most of all CARE for their fellow players. My son will tell his team mates to take a knee if a player is down some dont always like it but he gets them to one knee. I hope your son will be ok and have a speedy recovery and find himself back in the field. God Bless you and your son.You are in our prayers here in Harriman.

i agree with you 110% here at Jo-Byrne's that's what happen's and even the sideline's also ,,,it is just respect even if it is a big rivalery game so i am with you on this one,,, do not have a clue who your son play's for, but hope all is well for him,, and back on the field soon....god bless

You mean that by 12:08, (the time of your post) on the day after your son was carried off the field and sent to the er, the head coach has not called to check on him? If this is so, the coach needs a foot in his rear end, and since i'm related to this player in question, I may be the man who administers it!

It was my/our son who was injured. You shouldn't have any problem figuring out who I am based on my login name. Family came to the ER, girlfriend came to the ER, moms and dads came by the ER. Players came by the house, many people called, and it took me an extra hour to get groceries tonight, having to stop and give an update on #56.

No coaches have come by or even called; and one of the coaches lives 2 houses down. Do you want to guess where I'll be in the morning?

My son gives 110% on every play and has given his heart-and-soul to this program for 4 years.

I could care less if the opposing team takes a knee, but a little concern for an injured player is one of the characteristics of a respectable coaching staff.

I've always told #56 that when the final whistle blows, they will forget about you. But I was wrong ... the coaching staff forgot about him mid-season.