Hickman Co High School will be 2a in 07

dawgsfan71

I like Bertiers the best and then Fade Pattern's from a Harpeth point of view. I think travel will be the sticking point. Richland and Loretto are long hauls from the Nashville area, much less Stewart and Houston County. Would a north/south split be better? I would think the privates would rather be split for playoff reasons and play out of region against the other privates.

East Hickman would be a natural rival and short drives for Fairview and Harpeth. You could easily see Houston Co, Stewart Co and Waverly in that mix. Even Camden isn't a long drive from Harpeth, which is the furthest team to the east. The 'south' region would have Richland, Lewis Co., Loretto, Adamsville and Riverside with maybe Camden or Hickman. Then sprinkle in the private Davidson County schools in those regions. They at least have interstate access and easier drives than most. I'm a proponent of placing a couple of private schools in mostly public regions. If they want to play each other, go DII or schedule out of conference. My guess is they'll send East Hickman to region 5AA short term and Hickman to 6AA and then look at it again in 2 more years.

It is ridiculous to have more than 8 or 9 teams in a region when other regions have 5 or 6. Remember, reclassification has nothing to do with what makes sense and saves money, it deals with what is best for certain individuals and schools. :thumb:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my own satisfaction I looked at the travel distances for 3 of the 6AA schools. By Yahoo it's 92.2 miles between Richland and Decatur Co. Riverside and 141.2 miles between Richland and Stewart Co. All of these teams are in the same 9 team region now.

For comparison I took Goodpasture which is the ABC school the furthest from Chattanooga and it's 138 miles to downtown Chattanooga from Madison. All interstate. Don't tell me it's about travel distances and the times aren't comparable. Stewart Co. to Giles Co. is 3 hours minimum.

I think adding 2 or 3 more schools to the west will almost force some of the Nashville privates east. There's enough rural public schools to the west of Nashville to support 3 regions while the east only has 5 and 6 in 3AA and 4AA. That's a Nashville private school bypassing all of region 4AA and going to 3AA. Going to 4AA would be even shorter.

Edited by ksgovols

With 2 new teams in AA in Mid Tn. (Hickman and East Hickman) They will have to reclassify in some manner. I believe the following should happen:

1. Move East Robertson and Goodpasture to 4aa giving it 8 teams

2. Place Hickman and East Hickman in 5AA giving it 8 teams

3. Leave region 6AA alone leaving it with 9 teams

4. Place JCS in Region 7AA giving it 9 teams

REG. 4 AA

WESTMORELAND

CANNON

SMITH

JACKSON

UPPERMAN

YORK

EAST ROB.

GOODPASTURE

REG. 5AA

FRA

CPA

EAELL

DCA

HARPETH

FAIRVIEW

HICKMAN

EAST HICKMAN

REG. 6AA

ADAMSVILLE

RIVERSIDE

CAMDEN

WAVERLY

STEWART

HOUSTON

LEWIS

LORETTO

RICHLAND

REG. 7AA

USJ

HUNSTINGDON

DRESDEN

MILAN

WESTVIEW

HUMBOLDT

PEABODY

GIBSON

JCS

JCS is a naturaul fit in Reg. 7 AA

I don't see why you would make a 10/11 team region out out of 6 AA by putting them there or a 9/10 team region by putting them in 5 AA.

Just an opinon. What do you think?

That will not happen!!!

Will someone in Hickman County be good enough to explain why Smitty is so opposed to Hickman County and East Hickman being in the same region? He's about to have a cow worrying about them being together.

And by the way, nice count of those students by the administration. Just happened to miss the 3-A cutoff by one! YA-HA!

You don't think that any respectable administration would send there floundering 4A athletics into the lion's den in 3A with Lipscomb and the like :thumb: . That was an easy decision, and a smart move in my opinion. They really need to keep those county schools together. Nothing like playing your biggest rival the last week of the season.

If memory serves me right, Hickman lost to top seeded teams in regions 5-2A and 6-2A this year. Wow, I guess the grass WON'T be greener on the other side.

You don't think that any respectable administration would send there floundering 4A athletics into the lion's den in 3A with Lipscomb and the like :lol: . That was an easy decision, and a smart move in my opinion. They really need to keep those county schools together. Nothing like playing your biggest rival the last week of the season.

If memory serves me right, Hickman lost to top seeded teams in regions 5-2A and 6-2A this year. Wow, I guess the grass WON'T be greener on the other side.

yes we did... we lost to both the top seeded teams in region 5-2A and 6-2A Fairview and Lewis Co. both are really good schools i think both of them were in the top ten in the state at somepoint this year. but they are 2a. We lost to Lewis Co 14-7 and Fairview 28-21. we also lost to the two top teams in 5-4a Maplewood 41-12 and Hillsboro 42-6 both Maplewood and Hillsboro are in the top ten in 4a so yes we do think the grass is going to be greener on the other side. we are not saying we are going to come in and win the region the first year but at lest now we get a chance to win in the years to come.

You don't think that any respectable administration would send there floundering 4A athletics into the lion's den in 3A with Lipscomb and the like :thumb: . That was an easy decision, and a smart move in my opinion. They really need to keep those county schools together. Nothing like playing your biggest rival the last week of the season.

But.....Lewis Co. is a much, much improved team from last year and Bobby Sharpe was quoted in the jackon sun as saying they put alot of emphasis on the HC game this year and were lucky to win. Fairview embarred Hc last year and escaped with a one td win this year. Stratford, whom is considered one of the top teams in their region this year, beat them 21-6. I talked to Coach Swenson in Huntingdon last week and he felt that was a game they should have won hands down. Waverly is fighting to host a playoff spot and was blistered by HC 28-0. Now they got their butts handed to them by Maplewood and Hillboro, but who doesn't? From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, HC is starting a ton of soph. and jr's. If thats the case then i'd say yes, the grass will be much greener on the other side and everyone in middle tn. may be in for a return of Hickman Co. football in the classification they were once a power in. What did the final enrollment figures end up anyway and whats the cuttoff?

In my oppinion this is good for the school as in attendance cuz i know they were getting crowded in classes.. Overall for football tho. Not so good. They are a loaded 4a school when it comes to attendance and yet they still cant beat 2A schools. When they split up their splitting their talent too. They will have less players to choose from to get on the playing field.. I think the 1st couple of years for HC will be rough. And ever since i played them from the wee age of 4 we never lost agains tthem and they never seemed to improve much. Last year i think was the best improved team i ever saw them have.. Hopefully tho the the split of the schools wont split the team from this year cuz they have a young team and the future looks bright.

In my oppinion this is good for the school as in attendance cuz i know they were getting crowded in classes.. Overall for football tho. Not so good. They are a loaded 4a school when it comes to attendance and yet they still cant beat 2A schools. When they split up their splitting their talent too. They will have less players to choose from to get on the playing field.. I think the 1st couple of years for HC will be rough. And ever since i played them from the wee age of 4 we never lost agains tthem and they never seemed to improve much. Last year i think was the best improved team i ever saw them have.. Hopefully tho the the split of the schools wont split the team from this year cuz they have a young team and the future looks bright.

That is just it hickman co has been split for as long as i can rember. We are not a 4a school playing with 4a numbers... we are playing with 2a numbers the two middle schools are split and when they get to high school for some reason the kids form the east school have never come out to play besides maybe 1 or 2 year this was the case even when i play in the late 90's. Now we have a coach who is getting kids out so that is why our numbers have gone up from 45 to 85 and we have a young team that looks to be good in the years to come. I believe that things will be better for hickman and things for east hickman will be good also.

2A football is alot of fun and there are alot of 2A schools surrounding Hickman County and more natural rivalries will be formed. This was a move that was anticipated years ago. I'm glad to see it happen for those guys and they'll do their share of competing over the years. Didn't Cheatham go from 5A to 2A and then grew into 3A after Sycamore was started a few years back? Same when Harpeth split off back in the 80's. I think there's much more community support in the smaller community schools than in the big county schools.