Oneida & Sunbright

TheRinger

Willy, in all honesty, I'm not sure why Coach Newberry was so upset about the lack of a measurement. I was standing directly across the field from the first down marker. The original line of scrimmage was the 11-yard-line, so Sunbright needed the one-yard-line. Thompson was tackled directly at the two-yard-line. The ball was stradling the hash mark on the two. It was a full yard short and wasn't close enough to make a measurement necessary. If the mark needed for the first down had been just outside the one and Thompson had gotten just inside the two, I would have agreed that a measurement was necessary, even if he appeared to be well short, just to be on the safe side. Given the circumstances, with the game on the line, maybe they should've measured, but the ultimate outcome of the play would've been the same. There's no doubt that it wasn't a first down, although it was a heck of an effort just to get that close.

Edited by WrittenWord

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willy, in all honesty, I'm not sure why Coach Newberry was so upset about the lack of a measurement. I was standing directly across the field from the first down marker. The original line of scrimmage was the 11-yard-line, so Sunbright needed the one-yard-line. Thompson was tackled directly at the two-yard-line. The ball was stradling the hash mark on the two. It was a full yard short and wasn't close enough to make a measurement necessary. If the mark needed for the first down had been just outside the one and Thompson had gotten just inside the two, I would have agreed that a measurement was necessary, even if he appeared to be well short, just to be on the safe side. Given the circumstances, with the game on the line, maybe they should've measured, but the ultimate outcome of the play would've been the same. There's no doubt that it wasn't a first down, although it was a heck of an effort just to get that close.

I was standing on the same side as the yard markers and to me it looked like they were in between the 12 and 13 yard line, closer to the 12 to be exact, lacking maybe less than a foot. Hopefully we can get a better view of it when we see the films. If that wasn't close enough to get a measurement....... why was Oneida awarded a measurement when they were were well over a yard short and the ball was a lot closer to the yard sticks? Like I said, who knows if it would have had any affect on the out come of the game or not, but in a game of that importance it would have only been the RIGHT thing to do. But to compound that and insult Sunbright by awarding a measurement to Oneida when it was that far off, just seems to me some officials need to hang up their whistle for being partial.

why was Oneida awarded a measurement when they were were well over a yard short and the ball was a lot closer to the yard sticks?

The ball was closer to Oneida's sideline than to Sunbright's sideline, which is where the sticks were, and it was only short of the first down by a little less than two lengths of the football.

On Sunbright's play, if the first down had been between the 2 and the 3, then the pass play would have resulted in a first down, because the ball was straddling the hash mark of the 2-yard-line. The first down was clearly the one-yard-line. The series had started after Young converted a third down with a two-yard quarterback sneak that left the ball placed at the 11-yard-line. As far as the officials being partial towards Oneida, if that were the case, I'm not sure how Oneida wound up with 7 penalties for 55 yards while Sunbright finished with 2 penalties for 10 yards. :blink:

Edited by WrittenWord

With all due respect, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on all the above points. Obviously we saw it at different angles or something. I know when they brought the chains back to the sideline and declared it was 4th down they placed the line of scrimmage more than a yard from the 1st down marker. Maybe Oneida uses a really big football is how you get it was less than two football lengths. On the late hit the two officials closest to the play did not call it and the official down the field came up and threw his flag very late. I apologize to all the officials for my previous statement as I did not mean the whole team was partial, but it was pretty clear those two were not going to call the late hit and they both had a upclose view, and who ever made the decision to not to grant a measurement in a crucial situation, are the two incidents I am referring to.

But I guess we can argue it all we want and it won't do any good. The game is for the kids and everyone should remember that. Both teams played their hearts out and like my coach used to tell us.......... "If one bad call from an official caused you to lose(not saying it would have made a difference in the outcome of the game) then you don't deserve to win any how. You should have beat your opponent by enough to leave no doubts."

QUOTE(leftbehind @ Oct 10 2006 - 09:16 AM)

i just wanted to say that i think oneida can win the game against sunbright they are not as good as they think unless oneida plays like they have the last couple of weeks. but i was reading the oneida harriman post and saw where one of yuns had brought up the issue where darby was not playing and he decided the fast food routewas better but guess what he was already working their before he quit but anyways darby is one heck of a blocker he just wasnt given a chance and he didnt have the money like all the other kids that got to start and it is the truth, kids like Darby West, Eric Blevins, Cody Lowe, Chas Sexton, and logan crowley should all be given that chance and when they are out their next year and if given that chance you just wait and see. But the truth is it is all about who has money and what yur last name is to start for oneida [/u]special school district

I won't say who I am, I will say I have played with those people. Darby was pretty good, very strong. Cody Lowe and Chas both ran hard and hit hard for their size. Crowley is a great athlete, very high stamina. Eric Blevins has never played football at Oneida on any level. They all excel in very different areas, but one problem they all have is they quit. There are 9 sophomores on Oneidas team right now, many of which would not be playing if these said people (minus Blevins) were still playing. but, it doesnt really matter as they are not playing. They could be the best athletes in the world or the most talented, and if they dont prove it, then it does not matter. The fact they didnt want to work for their spots this year proves how little they truly care for the oneida program. I know them all very well, very good guys... but when it comes to leadership or pride... even in junior high they didnt have much of that.