Outlook for 7AAA

PHargis

No matter how you slice it, its hard to feel good about losing. Up by 4 at the end of the first and up by 6 at the half, Oakland had every chance to win this game, but we let Mt. Juliet dictate the tempo and Oakland simply cannot run with the Lady Bears, at least not with the limited depth they have.

Time to get back to the drawing board and start another winning streak..............

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oakland played very well in the 1st half and did a good job of defending and controlling the tempo of the game. Mt. Juliet seemed a bit frustrated as they were unable to get much going off of their press. Mt. Juliet didn't do a very good job of finding Davis in the press in the 1st half and she made them pay with several pull-up jumpers just inside the FT line. In the 2nd half MJ adjusted their press and made sure TD was covered at all times and then the press began to take its toll on the Lady Pats. The 16-0 run by MJ erased what had been a 40-32 Oakland lead and MJ never was really threatened much from that point on. Vanatta's 3 from about 30+ feet during that run was impressive to say the least.

Oakland is very athletic with good speed, quickness, and decent size. They are fairly limited offensively with Davis and King being their only consistent threats, but Coach Grandstaff does an excellent job of utilizing the talent available. I was tremendously impressed with TD. She plays extremely hard on both ends of the court and really makes everyone around her better, which is the mark of a really outstanding player. I know if I were coaching against Oakland I would try to force someone other than her to beat my team, which is really what Mt. Juliet was finally able to do in the 2nd half. She scored some in the 2nd half, but she didn't dominate the game like she did in the 1st half.

Oakland is not at the same level as the elite teams in the state, but they are definitely a very good basketball team that will win a lot of games and makes some noise at the top of 7-AAA. As I said in my earlier post if they beat Franklin County and stayed within 20 of MJ I would be impressed. They did and I am.

(BTW don't you think MJ's passing is tremendous. I can't think of any other team that passes as well as they do.)

Oakland played very well in the 1st half and did a good job of defending and controlling the tempo of the game. Mt. Juliet seemed a bit frustrated as they were unable to get much going off of their press. Mt. Juliet didn't do a very good job of finding Davis in the press in the 1st half and she made them pay with several pull-up jumpers just inside the FT line. In the 2nd half MJ adjusted their press and made sure TD was covered at all times and then the press began to take its toll on the Lady Pats. The 16-0 run by MJ erased what had been a 40-32 Oakland lead and MJ never was really threatened much from that point on. Vanatta's 3 from about 30+ feet during that run was impressive to say the least.

Oakland is very athletic with good speed, quickness, and decent size. They are fairly limited offensively with Davis and King being their only consistent threats, but Coach Grandstaff does an excellent job of utilizing the talent available. I was tremendously impressed with TD. She plays extremely hard on both ends of the court and really makes everyone around her better, which is the mark of a really outstanding player. I know if I were coaching against Oakland I would try to force someone other than her to beat my team, which is really what Mt. Juliet was finally able to do in the 2nd half. She scored some in the 2nd half, but she didn't dominate the game like she did in the 1st half.

Oakland is not at the same level as the elite teams in the state, but they are definitely a very good basketball team that will win a lot of games and makes some noise at the top of 7-AAA. As I said in my earlier post if they beat Franklin County and stayed within 20 of MJ I would be impressed. They did and I am.

(BTW don't you think MJ's passing is tremendous. I can't think of any other team that passes as well as they do.)

Pure and Simple I think the difference was that Grandstaff tried to gamble with just playing 6 girls or so and it worked pretty well for 3 quarters, but the girls can only go at that pace for so long, the dynamics of the gym at Lebanon probably didnt help matter. I knew Sarah would need to have a big game and she did, she was just as big of a reason as to why Oakland gave Mt. Juliet a pretty good scare.

What Oakland doesnt have on the offensive end, they make up for it on the defensive end with hustle and heart. Their point guard gaves us fits left and right the whole game and I truly feel she was the reason they won the game tonight, KC VanAtta and the rest of them are players no doubt, but #20 just killed us on both ends of the floor. Yes, MJ is excellent at finding the open girl, its so hard to dictate the tempo against them because they are constantly looking to push the ball up the floor.

4mer coach, in your opinion, is Oakland a team that contend for a chance to go tot he glass house, Im kinda interested in hearing the opinion of someone who has a great wealth of knowledge about this great game, but is unbiased as well.....

4mer coach, in your opinion, is Oakland a team that contend for a chance to go tot he glass house, Im kinda interested in hearing the opinion of someone who has a great wealth of knowledge about this great game, but is unbiased as well.....

My guess would be probably not unless they can develop some other consistent offensive threat. I also think, as you pointed out, that their lack of depth is a problem that will haunt them against the top level teams. If TD gets into foul trouble your goose is really cooked. She is the catalyst that makes the Lady Pats go. I also think you would have a tough time defending a really strong post game like Shelbyville's, but for that matter so will most teams. It is not impossible for them to make it to the glass house because a player like TD can sometimes carry you in the tournament and I think Grandstaff is really an outstanding coach, but at this point I would say it is fairly improbable.

I believe that was a reply to a post from 4mercoach who said 20 points. My point was I would hate if it were more than 8-10 points because what does that mean to 7AAA to have one of the top teams in 9AAA beat one of the top teams in 7AAA by 20 points. I am for Oakland. I support Oakland as I know some great players tht play on it. But I really don't think it is something to be beaten by the second rated team in 9 by 20 points. What does that make the rest of the teams in 7AAA look like. tje only thing I can say is "Go Oakland and beat Mt Juliet". Thats in my heart but understand the season is not over for anyone to get beaten by a 9 team. Look at Siegel and what happened with Beech who may beat MJ. I think we all have to get to and play thru the region before much is said. oakland has had a remarkable but expected season and it should have been the season they had last year but only its better this year. I think you will agree with that. Best of luck.

come on man you can say with a straight face that everyone expected oakland to open up 7-0 with two ball players now other girls play but those 2 (davis and king) do it all for them

Edited by SopH1025

they are a fantastic passing and shooting team oakland in my opinion had their chances and gave it away they were up 16-10 at the end of the 1st and 35-30 at the half but you cant mess up and give a team like MJ too many opportunities because they will capitalize on all the mistakes ...........the back cuts and WIDE OPEN lanes to the basket killed oakland........oakland will be back in my opinion this loss could be a good measuring stick for the team realize what to work on and coach G will get them going...but MJ was a good opponent

come on man you can say with a straight face that everyone expected oakland to open up 7-0 with two ball players now other girls play but those 2 (davis and king) do it all for them

Ummm, everyone is a lot of people but the case is there and the results are in. Last year, amid all of the consternation, it was realized that Oakland had two special players, CD and CM. They were given as good players. King was discovered and was developing and then out of the blue, CD went down, thought was going to return, but didn't reach her potential. In the meantime CM tried to play the role, got worn down, very likely caused her more harm than good and King was allowed to develop along with some others. Another class came in, A great coaching staff did what great coaching staffs do and tried to put this team back together and has. That along with a friendlier schedule, which really was expected for this year put Oakland in a good position. Realizing that CD in her career has been one not to want for any team she is on to go out badly, it hs not been surprising her play but what was surprising that there is no lingering evidence of the injury. thats good.

As far as MJ is concerned, the simply had too many guns and Oakland did not match up well, as you said, in the third and fourth quarter and pressure and MJ known passing attack just took them over. i want you to realize that MJ really did not have a true post but had some GREAT ROLE MODEL POST PLAYERS which added to the match up problems with Oakland, ie , open lanes, open shots. I would say Oakland for much of the time played the best game of the year but at times broke down. i will agree that this coaching staff will have to redo some things but the players are the players and the scheme is the scheme and the best thing is to execute better. Certainly if over Christmas they can develop a few role players to fill in or get a couple of transfers, it would help but this team is the team. You wouldn't have it any other way.

MJ is a good team and it is surprising the game was that close and Oakland is good and the rest of 7AAA is breathing a little bit better that they played that well.

I know it took too long to reply, but I think that Oakland's biggest problem in the MJ game was the mental mistakes made on defense. They gave MJ too many open shots around the basket and allowed them to drive to the hole uncontested many times. A team like MJ will capitalize on those mistakes everytime. When you have players in foul trouble, the players with no fouls must realize that they have to not allow the people driving to the basket to have an open layup. Oakland dominated the first half, but made way too many mistakes in the second that they weren't able to bounce back from. It's true that Oakland only has two consistent offensive threats in, TD and SK, but if they plan on going farther they have to have some role players step up and chip in about 4-5 points (if they can).

I know it took too long to reply, but I think that Oakland's biggest problem in the MJ game was the mental mistakes made on defense. They gave MJ too many open shots around the basket and allowed them to drive to the hole uncontested many times. A team like MJ will capitalize on those mistakes everytime. When you have players in foul trouble, the players with no fouls must realize that they have to not allow the people driving to the basket to have an open layup. Oakland dominated the first half, but made way too many mistakes in the second that they weren't able to bounce back from. It's true that Oakland only has two consistent offensive threats in, TD and SK, but if they plan on going farther they have to have some role players step up and chip in about 4-5 points (if they can).

thats exactly my thoughts. Who got themselves in foul trouble? Was it both SK and TD? If that was the case then they had no choice. If KM was also in foul trouble they may have dominated in the first half but it was at a price. Coach G and staff are unique coaches but I doubt there is much they will change except try to execute better. oakland must have played well but MJ is a well coached, well schooled team this year that will wind up in the Region and probably the state.

thats exactly my thoughts. Who got themselves in foul trouble? Was it both SK and TD? If that was the case then they had no choice. If KM was also in foul trouble they may have dominated in the first half but it was at a price. Coach G and staff are unique coaches but I doubt there is much they will change except try to execute better. oakland must have played well but MJ is a well coached, well schooled team this year that will wind up in the Region and probably the state.

Looks as though Riverdale is the only true team outside of maybe Cookeville that has a real chance of advancing very far in the region. I wonder if Riverdale's lack of size will catch up with them down the road.