West vs Clinton

rebel9db

I agree there is some lack of maturity in the coaching, however I see this as something that will happen. While we all want to win we need to look at the overall picture THINGS HAVE gotten better. YES, I would love to see some changes in the offense especially when things seem to be so bad in a game and the same weaknesses have been on the offense all or most of the season. With that being said, I am standing behind the program and think if we give this time to work we will be better next year. I as far as changing players that mess up, we did not have enough on the side lines to change them all out Friday. I don't think there we anyone who did not mess up or get burned at some point.

Well if nothing else it feels good to have another dragon fan I can discuss this stuff with without someone thinking I am against the whole program because I am not. I agree things are better but when is someone going to address exactly what you have been saying when is our offense going to adjust. I mean if something works it works if it doesnt it doesnt. As you and I both have repeatedly said we are die hard DRAGON Fans to the end but I really feel like a change is going to have to be made at the offensive cord. position. You know we have a really good man heading up th JV and Freshman side of the program right now he is a motivator and the players RESPECT him greatly. It would be nice to see if he could help other parts of the program as well. Maybe even just show some of other coaches how to relate to the kids.

GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by don222

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Iwas a little put out when I made my post. First off I do realize that we are talking about young men who on there best night will likely make some mental mistakes. The problem that I was really wanting to bring attention to is that people in the stands seem to think that even when the same mistakes are mad over and over that the coaches should at least try to give the appearance that they are trying to correct the problem and it appears that no matter how bad or how many times they mess up the coaches will just leave them in and we will lose another game and go home to get ready to lose our next one. As far as the offense goes we need help in a big way. Our maturity level at that coaching position is lacking greatly and it is evident to folks in the stands. The boy in this position came from across the river recommended by coach K. You know if he was so good don't you think they would have kept him there?? Just something to think about.

GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!!

Coach Phillips wasn't reccomended by Larry Kerr. George Quarles and Scott Meadows reccomended him to Andy Shattuck.I believe I would listen to George Quarles and Scott Meadows before I would listen to don222. Phillips left AC to be offensive coordinator for Clinton. If you are going to blast coach Phillips then you need to know what you are talking about.This same offense that Clinton runs is the same offense that Maryville runs. Maryville has been succesful lately.

Coach Phillips wasn't reccomended by Larry Kerr. George Quarles and Scott Meadows reccomended him to Andy Shattuck.I believe I would listen to George Quarles and Scott Meadows before I would listen to don222. Phillips left AC to be offensive coordinator for Clinton. If you are going to blast coach Phillips then you need to know what you are talking about.This same offense that Clinton runs is the same offense that Maryville runs. Maryville has been succesful lately.

I did not Blast Coach Phillips. And as far as who recommended him does not matter to me all I know is he was at AC now he's not and if you had a clue about the Anderson County School system you would know if Kerr wanted him he would have him. The only thing that is bugging me now as it is every Clinton fan who will tell the truth is the maturity level shown at this position it does seem to be lacking. I am not the only one who feels this way just look at previous posts. I think Phillips has potential but he needs help now. Also I am sorry if I offended you but if you are upset because of the way I feel about how the Dragon offense is being run then they are biggeer fish than me to get mad at.

GO DRAGONS!!

Edited by don222

Do you think we are waiting until the off season to fix things???....I agree Coach C. would be a great addition to the offensive side of the ball.

Yes Coach C would be great to help bring along the offense and I think the JV coach Baldwin could help player relations with the staff.

I know that you are very positive about the two additions to the Dragon program and I think that they will be very good assets to the program. Right now Coach P is young and as with players improvements do come with maturity. I happen to like the type of offense we run. I do think that there are times when some adjustments need to be made. Our blocking on offense is lacking and this has to improve in order to run this complex offense. I think a couple years down the road (with the Coaches we have) Clinton will once again be a VERY competitive program. I am not bashing our Coaches (I don't think don222 is either). I stand very much behind the program and hope to see things get better and better as I have more kids that will wear the orange and black.

I think if the players would buy into the system it would help the team. By system i meam summer workouts, qb -recievers throwing durning summer. players not quiting when it gets hot in late july. parents need to support coaches. patting kids on butt and saying thats okay doesnt work. I think the coaching staff needs to get on kids and let them know it is not okay to mess up. it is a big difference coaching jv on monday vs coaching the friday night games, you cant compare these games. i think a good off. line coach would help for next year. Stand behind coaches and the system and better things are to come. The region Clinton plays in is the toughest in the state, then throw in Oak Ridge and Anderson Co. Alot of teams would run from a schedule like this. I know William Blount would.

Go Dragons!!

I know that you are very positive about the two additions to the Dragon program and I think that they will be very good assets to the program. Right now Coach P is young and as with players improvements do come with maturity. I happen to like the type of offense we run. I do think that there are times when some adjustments need to be made. Our blocking on offense is lacking and this has to improve in order to run this complex offense. I think a couple years down the road (with the Coaches we have) Clinton will once again be a VERY competitive program. I am not bashing our Coaches (I don't think don222 is either). I stand very much behind the program and hope to see things get better and better as I have more kids that will wear the orange and black.

Thanks for understanding me NOGARDNAF. You are correct I am not into coach bashing. I to have said in the past if we give our young coaches time things will swing the right way. But our younger players (sophomores,freshmen) need a ray of hope now. I talked with some of them Friday night and they are asking the same questions we are. I am as excited about the addditions to our staff from Blount county as anyone. I just know for a fact our team needs some reassurance that their coaching staff is trying to go forward and make some good things happen for the future. And as much as I hate to admit it after Friday night some of them are ready to give up. That is not my thoughts, that came straight out of players mouths. I guess that is why I am so passionate about this subject. And before anyone says it, no I did not approach the players they came to me and just started talking.. The reason for my first post on this subject was due to something I heard come out of a players mouth( a good decent young man and Football player) this young man looked so pained as he looked at two other of his teammates and said Coach S is just going to let things go with players and coaches until we can never ever win again. That hurt me greatly these young men should be building character and learning the game. Not worrying about things like that. So if I offend anyone with what I say I can't apologize because those players that suit up every Friday night deserve good leaders who set good examples on how to carry yourself on and off the field. If we can get coaches on our staff who will do that then we will see our program turn around.

GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!!

Edited by don222

Thanks for understanding me NOGARDNAF. You are correct I am not into coach bashing. I to have said in the past if we give our young coaches time things will swing the right way. But our younger players (sophomores,freshmen) need a ray of hope now. I talked with some of them Friday night and they are asking the same questions we are. I am as excited about the addditions to our staff from Blount county as anyone. I just know for a fact our team needs some reassurance that their coaching staff is trying to go forward and make some good things happen for the future. And as much as I hate to admit it after Friday night some of them are ready to give up. That is not my thoughts, that came straight out of players mouths. I guess that is why I am so passionate about this subject. And before anyone says it, no I did not approach the players they came to me and just started talking.. The reason for my first post on this subject was due to something I heard come out of a players mouth( a good decent young man and Football player) this young man looked so pained as he looked at two other of his teammates and said Coach S is just going to let things go with players and coaches until we can never ever win again. That hurt me greatly these young men should be building character and learning the game. Not worrying about things like that. So if I offend anyone with what I say I can't apologize because those players that suit up every Friday night deserve good leaders who set good examples on how to carry yourself on and off the field. If we can get coaches on our staff who will do that then we will see our program turn around.

GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!!

As for the comments from the younger players alot of these are a reflection of the parents who have very poor attitudes toward the program. If these parents bash everything from the booster club to coaching that does carry over to the players. My son is in the older group and listening to him and his friends they are pretty positive about things (maybe because they have seen things really bad). They respect Coach S and really like him. I have known Coach S and his family a very long time and will have to say work ethic, drive, and ambition are very much a part of who he is. Don't get me wrong I don't and haven't always agreed with every choice made by him or his approach but I do think he has a grip in the big picture and what he wants to do with it and I can say with confidence it will be to better the program.

As for the comments from the younger players alot of these are a reflection of the parents who have very poor attitudes toward the program. If these parents bash everything from the booster club to coaching that does carry over to the players. My son is in the older group and listening to him and his friends they are pretty positive about things (maybe because they have seen things really bad). They respect Coach S and really like him. I have known Coach S and his family a very long time and will have to say work ethic, drive, and ambition are very much a part of who he is. Don't get me wrong I don't and haven't always agreed with every choice made by him or his approach but I do think he has a grip in the big picture and what he wants to do with it and I can say with confidence it will be to better the program.

I will be the first to say that some parents have rotten attitudes and yes it does rub off on the kids. Coach S is also a friend of mine from way back. I am glad the older players are being positive they need to be. Well just so we can put this topic to rest and go on to the next one I will say that I am hopeful some things will happen after this season that will take us in the right direction.

GO DRAGONS!!!!!

GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!!

I find it Hilarious that you talk about Maturity , yet here you are on CoachT talking a coach down anonymously ... to me that sounds cowardly and immature . Maybe you are a part of the problem there at Clinton . You say the young players come whining to you ... why aren't you coaching then ? My guess is that Coach Quarles has forgotten more about Football than you'll ever know , and Coach Quarles is a strong supporter of the coach that yes ... you are bad mouthing . Funny to see you try to deny that after you've already done it too . Maybe you should be trying to teach these kids that come whining to you that nothing is ever accomplished without hard work . You think Maryville was built overnight ? You have to have the feeder system set up to where the kids want to play football , you have to have kids taking pride and accountability in themselves . Sure , some of the kids won't like having to work harder , and they will quit . For you to be judging coaches who have only been at this yearly doormat for a few months shows just how little about football you know . Clinton looked much better to me this year than last year against Maryville , when a program's been as low as Clinton has been , it's going to take more than 8 games to change the mentality of the team and community that's used to losing . People like you who are whispering how bad a coach is , or how so and so would be better ... are a program Killer !!

Got to agree with Pepvol on the coach bashing issue. Clinton looks 100% better than last year. Two wins are better than one. Next year it could be up to four. Clinton is young like my Devils. I don't bash the coaches but I hate gameplans that have no direction so I get frustrated but who doesn't, but I get over it.

Don222 you are a passionate fan but you have to give the new system a chance. You have to position the athletes you have and cater the game plan accordingly. Close the back gate and keep some of those athletes at home and things will start to change. We are doing that now at Halls.