Huntingdon at USJ

Outsider15

Yep, VG, same thing happens in the SEC as does happen in 7-2A football. We beat each other senseless and watch someone else win the Championship at the end of the year. <_<

There is some truth to that. It's hard to go through this region without losing starters to injuries. It's tough. Most years the region 8 champ would never even make the playoffs in region 7.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the WB can come to town and make a show called "Coach Swap." Put the Milan coaches at USJ and the USJ coaches at Milan, and we'll see who does what! <_<

For my money, Marley and Hardegree are as good as they come in this area. As a matter of fact, I was just reading the On The Ball article where Artis Hicks spoke really highly of Hardegree as being instrumental in his sucess. The way they put their teams in positions to win every week is outstanding. Their gameplans are always adjusted to take advantages of other team's weaknesses, and/or take advantage of USJ's strengths. Just thinking aloud here, but I imagine those two have put far more players in big time college football and the NFL than any other staff in West TN.

Don't get me wrong, Milan also has great coaches. They don't run many plays, but they coach the players up and execute those plays to perfection. It reminds me of one of Denzel's lines from Remember The Titans. :lol:

if artis hicks would have played for morris or mansfield he would have spoke highly of them for being instrumental in his success. he was goin D1 and then pro no matter who he played for.

JPM62... I'm sure USJ had a good team that year but look at the teams they played.

Bruceton was 5-6.. Beat Gleason, South Fulton, Halls and Greenfield.

Fayette Academy was 5-7...

McNairy was 6-5 with wins over Adamsville and Fayette Ware (0-10)

Riverside was 2-8..

Northside was 1-9..

JCS was 10-3 with big wins over Bishop Byrne, Middleton and Halls :thumb: ...

USJ did beat Jax SS by 1 point and they went 9-4 in 2004.

Also I'd like to point out USJ beat Middleton, Perry County and Gleason for 3 of their 14 wins. You see, between tough games as you said you get a break by playing weaker teams and your team doesn't get banged up with injuries and losses. 1-A ball in West Tennessee isn't all that tough. Teams can point to a game on their schedule and get up for it while the team they are playing hopes to just get out with a "W".

In the interest of fairness, in the 2004 regular season Huntingdon beat:

Bruceton (5-6)

Adamsville (6-5 with 3 of their wins coming over Greenfield, Middleton, and Perry Co.)

Chester Co. (4-6)

Union City (3-7)

Riverside (2-8)

You can pull just about anyone's schedule and point to some wins over weak teams.

Good post, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. This might suprise some people, but I think this will be an air-it-out game on both sides. USJ's run D has been solid this year, and it doesn't look like Huntingdon has the type RB needed to be very effective. IMO, the Mustang's best weapon on O this week will be Crocker. BUT, can the O-line protect for Crocker? I believe Huntindon's already shaky O-line has had some injury problems this year. Will they be able to stop USJ's undersized but very quick D-line from getting in the backfield? Also, who does HHS have to catch the ball?

Strange as it is, he X factor here is Chris Donald. Hamstrings don't heal without rest, but Mansfield still has got to figure out a way to get Donald involved. Marley will be doing a lot to take him out of the game just like he used to have to do with Patrick Willis. He's prolly going to be coming off the edge hard every play, so it will be up to the HHS corners to stop the speedy USJ receivers from getting YAC on those underneath routes. The return of Chris Muir for USJ, who could very well be the most underrated player in West TN, will definetley help. He is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.

These teams look to be fairly even, so this game will be all about match-ups. Whichever teams' coaching staff does the best job of exploiting those will likely be the winner.

If you are relying on Chris Muir to win a ballgame I'm picking Huntingdon by 50. What a joke!

Maybe the WB can come to town and make a show called "Coach Swap." Put the Milan coaches at USJ and the USJ coaches at Milan, and we'll see who does what! :)

For my money, Marley and Hardegree are as good as they come in this area. As a matter of fact, I was just reading the On The Ball article where Artis Hicks spoke really highly of Hardegree as being instrumental in his sucess. The way they put their teams in positions to win every week is outstanding. Their gameplans are always adjusted to take advantages of other team's weaknesses, and/or take advantage of USJ's strengths. Just thinking aloud here, but I imagine those two have put far more players in big time college football and the NFL than any other staff in West TN.

Don't get me wrong, Milan also has great coaches. They don't run many plays, but they coach the players up and execute those plays to perfection. It reminds me of one of Denzel's lines from Remember The Titans. :thumb:

I think USJ made a huge mistake when Gilmer left! Gilmer and Marley worked well together with the players and USJ has not been the same without him.

In the interest of fairness, in the 2004 regular season Huntingdon beat:

Bruceton (5-6)

Adamsville (6-5 with 3 of their wins coming over Greenfield, Middleton, and Perry Co.)

Chester Co. (4-6)

Union City (3-7)

Riverside (2-8)

You can pull just about anyone's schedule and point to some wins over weak teams.

BoredGuy... In the interest of humility, I didn't mention the Mustangs record of 12-3 in 2004... We're not an All-Star team either.. :thumb:

Edited by Mr. Mustang

Maybe the WB can come to town and make a show called "Coach Swap." Put the Milan coaches at USJ and the USJ coaches at Milan, and we'll see who does what! :D

For my money, Marley and Hardegree are as good as they come in this area...

Don't get me wrong, Milan also has great coaches. They don't run many plays, but they coach the players up and execute those plays to perfection. It reminds me of one of Denzel's lines from Remember The Titans. :thumb:

Let just say for the sake of arguement that the only reason usj isn't winning games is because they have to play in mean ol' region 7 2A. As i recall they played for several years in 1A and i don't think they brought home any gold balls there either. You cant say that Marley and Hardegree are as good as they come in this area because you have absolutley nothing to back it up with. It dosent take "as good as they come" anywhere coaches to have winning seasons against teams like greenfield and riverside. Now that they're coaching against coaches that really are good, i.e.-Morris, Mansfeild, Cody...guess what 1-18. You show me some proof that Marley is one of the best in the area and i'll glady stand corrected until then, i dont buy it.