Independence @ Brentwood 10-20-06

donathan5507

WOW again...I sure thought that Indy would rebound. They still have a chance.

I am shocked at one thing and that is how tnsparty always jumps in here when anyone jumps on smitty and blasts them as the devil. Where was he this week when smitty was getting hammered? Oh...I guess he was on break with smitty...either that or he has a shameful double-standard....what a schmuck for not standing up to "ALL" of those who said things about smitty.....unless you are smitty or related to smitty.

I feel for the players at Indy...I said it before....early on... this 5a region takes a lot out of you and you must be deep and avoid injuries.

True that bulldog. I guess Dickson Co. took more wind out of their sails then I thought. 5a ball 'ain't no joke'. Sure makes for some great games--later

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody can say whatever they want about Indy being overrated. Say whatever you've got to say on here.

But don't ever say anything about those players because those kids have such an unbelievable amount of heart that it's not even funny. I talked to several of them after the game and it's not fair that this is the result they get but that's the way the ball bounces.

Josh Grigsby blocked a punt with 1:30 to go down by 3. That's the stuff that high school football is about. We had the ball 1st and 10 from the BHS 40 with a chance to at least tie...some bad decisions later, we have a 4th and 30.

Chris Darnell got 28.

An absolutely gut-wrenching loss. Nobody deserves a fate like that.

I'm inexplicably proud of this team.

Go Eagles...it's been an honor to root for you guys this year. We'll be out in full force for the Columbia game to give the seniors a great sendoff because they absolutely deserve one. These kids played freshman ball at various different schools all over the county. They came to Independence where we had to board a bus and go out to the old BGA campus to practice everyday. We didn't get weights in until about November of that year.

This group took several beatings last year and they worked harder than anybody could have imagined in the offseason. They have nothing to be ashamed of.

Tonight, the Seniors left everything on the field. That's what sports is all about.

5, 9, 10, 40, 47, 48, 54, 65, 76, 82, you guys have made it all worthwhile. I love every one of you guys and I just want to thank you all for making this Senior year worthwhile.

Good luck to both teams.

Go Eagles.

WOW again...I sure thought that Indy would rebound. They still have a chance.

I am shocked at one thing and that is how tnsparty always jumps in here when anyone jumps on smitty and blasts them as the devil. Where was he this week when smitty was getting hammered? Oh...I guess he was on break with smitty...either that or he has a shameful double-standard....what a schmuck for not standing up to "ALL" of those who said things about smitty.....unless you are smitty or related to smitty.

I feel for the players at Indy...I said it before....early on... this 5a region takes a lot out of you and you must be deep and avoid injuries.

WOW! What did you just say? That was rediculious!

Independence should really hold their heads up high, I know its tough going home, but a 7-3 season, in the toughest region in the state, with a win over the Region Champs ( hopefully co-region champ, although it won't feel the same ) for a program in their 2nd varsity season is a great accomplishment.

Indy is eligible for a bowl, will they participate? I feel sorry for anybody who plays them. Best team not in the playoffs is Indy, hands down.

Anybody can say whatever they want about Indy being overrated. Say whatever you've got to say on here.

But don't ever say anything about those players because those kids have such an unbelievable amount of heart that it's not even funny. I talked to several of them after the game and it's not fair that this is the result they get but that's the way the ball bounces.

Josh Grigsby blocked a punt with 1:30 to go down by 3. That's the stuff that high school football is about. We had the ball 1st and 10 from the BHS 40 with a chance to at least tie...some bad decisions later, we have a 4th and 30.

Chris Darnell got 28.

An absolutely gut-wrenching loss. Nobody deserves a fate like that.

I'm inexplicably proud of this team.

Go Eagles...it's been an honor to root for you guys this year. We'll be out in full force for the Columbia game to give the seniors a great sendoff because they absolutely deserve one. These kids played freshman ball at various different schools all over the county. They came to Independence where we had to board a bus and go out to the old BGA campus to practice everyday. We didn't get weights in until about November of that year.

This group took several beatings last year and they worked harder than anybody could have imagined in the offseason. They have nothing to be ashamed of.

Tonight, the Seniors left everything on the field. That's what sports is all about.

5, 9, 10, 40, 47, 48, 54, 65, 76, 82, you guys have made it all worthwhile. I love every one of you guys and I just want to thank you all for making this Senior year worthwhile.

Good luck to both teams.

Go Eagles.

Donathan, Could not agree with you more! Many people questioned the Eagles heart this week and they proved them wrong tonight. They completely outplayed Brentwood on both sides of the ball and with the exception of the two TD runs, they dominated on defense. Their failure to convert opportunities in the red zone was the difference in the game.

Congratulations to Brentwood though for doing what needed to be done to get the "W". Good luck to you guys in the playoffs. Brentwood demonstrated very good sportsmanship as well.

I understand that several of the Eagles Juniors took the loss very hard as they were crushed that their Senior teammates lost their chance to get in the playoffs. However, if Independence plays with this same heart next week vs. Columbia, they will finish the season 7-3 which is still outstanding especially for a 2nd year Varsity program.

The future looks very bright at Independence though. Most of their starters are Sophs. or Juniors and their Freshman team only lost once the entire season. If they work hard in the off-season, Region 6-5A better look out next yearand beyond.

Good luck guys next week. Play like Champions and send the Seniors out with a Victory!

Got to give the props to this class of Bruin seniors. Indy can talk about their "heart"; you guys know what that word means.

You heard all of the talk about this class- not up to the talent level, not up to the leadership level, etc. Well, the bar is set pretty high on Murray Lane; everytime you look at the scoreboard and see the accomplishments of those who went before you, you knew what was expected. You didn't let what you "didn't have" stop you from showing what you do have.

You accomplished the first part of your responsibility- act and play with class no matter what the scoreboard says. It reflects on you, your school, your families, your community, your coaches, and those who went before. Reputations are easy to lose (can you say Miami Hurricanes?) The second part of your responsibility was to be a winning football team. Nothing less is expected. That mission was accomplished with a rush.

Your next responsibility was something that hasn't had to be done in a long time- lead and help mold a lot of younger players who would join you in battle on Friday nights. Show them how it was to be done. Play out of position, suffer the learning curve, keep pushing through.

Because of this unique task, you at times didn't play the prettiest. You let a couple get away you should've had. But you held the fort, "held the rope", and you get to experience the next part of your responsibility- the playoffs.

You had your backs to the wall and you played like the better team. You did what you needed to do- despite all the setbacks the last couple of weeks. You set your goals and WOULD NOT BE DENIED. Beating Indy by three or 30- it doesn't matter. Being the last man standing DOES.

Finish the task next week up in Clarksville and prepare for the second season. It all starts fresh, and a fresh opportunity to take it to the next level.

And a fresh opportunity to set expectations for those coming up next year and beyond. A new Bruin legacy to be forged.

Congratulations Bruins on making the playoffs!

Edited by fromthetop2

I just won't to give Brentwood all the repect in the world. The did what they had to to win. The know how to win games that matter. Indy will come back and win this week and send the seniors off and say thank you for building a winning foundation. With another year in the weight room this team will be the team to beat. Smith should be the coach of the year. He is a wonderful man and coach. He cares for these kids more than anybody can believe. I know how upset he was to not see his seniors in a playoff game. But, he was proud of the way they fought until the win. Indy, keep your heads up, you are a great team who will learn to win the big game in the future.

Zach Cordell did not lose anyone the playoffs.

TEAM.

I would've liked to see Emory Martin in at QB on that last series because he's given his heart and soul to this program for the last three years only to lose his starting job to a transfer QB this offseason. He's one of the hardest working kids you'll ever meet and I think that he deserved a little more of a chance than he got.

I think Josh Grigsby definitely deserves a scholarship and I expect him to get one, probably D-IIish

Haney...well I don't know about deserving but he's huge so he'll get one.

Darnell should but I don't know how many teams have been recruiting him.

Hazzard can long snap very well and that can take you far. Martin has the work ethic that should get him one but if not, he will still be a stellar walk-on and any coach will be glad to have him.

Sheffield should get one but if this knee injury slows him down any more, it might not happen, especially considering that he already has a lack of height.