Carter McMasters or Philip Jurick ?

3ball30

So how do you explain Major Wingate being off the basketball team? I'll give you the football team, but I need examples of Bruce Pearl and the basketball team.

I'm not trying to throw dirt by any means, because I personally think Bruce Pearl is the best thing to happen to Knoxville since their football team won it all in '98. They needed somebody to get the name out basketball wise, win games, and bring student support to the program. He, in my opinion, has done a wonderful job. And my opinion on this isn't going to be popular either, but here it goes: many of the college basketball players in the SEC have professional basketball on their mind, and rightfully so. They do not have school, attitude, or anything else on their mind. 80% of them are at college to play basketball, not to go to class. Many people don't want to openly recognize this. But that's how it is. And once you get past the high school level, when you're coaching more men than boys, I don't think it ought to be the coaches #1 priority to make sure his players are cherubs. He should strive to sign the best basketball players in the country, as long as their attitude and grades are "good enough". Obviously you don't want your players being arrested, failing classes, or having their terrible attitude hurt the team (all of which the problem is bad enough to have them not be on the team). The coach has to draw the line somewhere, but IMO, that line should be closer to "good enough" when it comes to attitude and grades, and closer to "exceptional" when it comes to ball playing, not the other way around. And I'd like to add that I think attitude and grades are more important than sports, because they'll get you farther in life, but when a coach is hired and paid to sign players who can win the most ball games, and then coach those players to win those games, it isn't fair to expect him to be "Father Pearl". :angry: So now that I've explained myself, I stand by my statement that UT doesn't really care what their athletes do, but I want to say that might not be as bad a thing as some might think. I don't agree with letting your players run wild, but Pearl is paid to win ball games, not teach seminary, and I think he's doing a fine job.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to throw dirt by any means, because I personally think Bruce Pearl is the best thing to happen to Knoxville since their football team won it all in '98. They needed somebody to get the name out basketball wise, win games, and bring student support to the program. He, in my opinion, has done a wonderful job. And my opinion on this isn't going to be popular either, but here it goes: many of the college basketball players in the SEC have professional basketball on their mind, and rightfully so. They do not have school, attitude, or anything else on their mind. 80% of them are at college to play basketball, not to go to class. Many people don't want to openly recognize this. But that's how it is. And once you get past the high school level, when you're coaching more men than boys, I don't think it ought to be the coaches #1 priority to make sure his players are cherubs. He should strive to sign the best basketball players in the country, as long as their attitude and grades are "good enough". Obviously you don't want your players being arrested, failing classes, or having their terrible attitude hurt the team (all of which the problem is bad enough to have them not be on the team). The coach has to draw the line somewhere, but IMO, that line should be closer to "good enough" when it comes to attitude and grades, and closer to "exceptional" when it comes to ball playing, not the other way around. And I'd like to add that I think attitude and grades are more important than sports, because they'll get you farther in life, but when a coach is hired and paid to sign players who can win the most ball games, and then coach those players to win those games, it isn't fair to expect him to be "Father Pearl". :angry: So now that I've explained myself, I stand by my statement that UT doesn't really care what their athletes do, but I want to say that might not be as bad a thing as some might think. I don't agree with letting your players run wild, but Pearl is paid to win ball games, not teach seminary, and I think he's doing a fine job.

Very good post.....I think that the kids should know to conduct themselves as adults once they get to college....Especially, if the school is paying for there education....They should leave all their immaturity in high school....Even though some don't...

i saw the first half of tonights game, jurick seemed to get the better of mcmasters. mcmaster's shot was not following and he did not seem to want to go to the hole against jurick. jurick showed his flare for "thuggery" as he punched a grace player in the head. the ref;'s saw it clearly, and not only did he not get tossed, he did not even get a technical.

was the second half more of the same?

mcmaster's shot was not "falling", i must be tired!

I think it was more of a shove across the face. It wasn't a punch.

Grace tried to get into Wells' head but it didn't work. He did almost lose his cool a couple of times but then just decided to light the boys from Grace up with 20 plus points.

Grace's guards are ready for the big time but they will be good eventually. I think McMasters and Jurick had good games. There so different and they both played their game although McMasters missed alot of shots.

Who is recruiting Jurick??

Indiana, Tennessee, Bama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Kentucky, Miami, Michigan, Ole Miss (according to Unapproved Website)

Indiana and UT are the frontrunners (from what I've read/heard), but on rivals' front page of basketball recruiting, it says Jurick is going on an official visit to UK on the 22nd.

I think it was more of a shove across the face. It wasn't a punch.

Grace tried to get into Wells' head but it didn't work. He did almost lose his cool a couple of times but then just decided to light the boys from Grace up with 20 plus points.

Grace's guards are ready for the big time but they will be good eventually. I think McMasters and Jurick had good games. There so different and they both played their game although McMasters missed alot of shots.

We watched the replay in slow mo on tv and it didnt even hit his face it was just a shove to the shoulder dude just floped and made it worse

I drove two hours to watch mcmasters play b/c everyone told me that he was the real deal...all I saw was one really tall overrated player...

Who is recruiting Jurick??

Are you joking? Wow, your basketball analysis needs some serious work. How many 6'10 juniors in high school do you think can dribble, shoot, and pass like he does? Not to mention, he moves as well as just about any 6'10 junior in the country as well. He needs to work a lot on his strength and aggresiveness, but remember he is ONLY A JUNIOR. He has the tools and potential that not too many players in his class have. He has a long way to go, but the potential is obvious.