Which Courses are in top shape?

tee1up

I am curious (being a HS Golf Coach) which courses are in tip-top shape this spring? Like to have the scoop so that I can let my players know where they may want to go and play... Here's my rating of the courses in my area (that I have played recently)...

rating is out of 5 (stars)

1) Bear Trace at Tims Ford 5 stars, but the fees

are a little steep...

overall, the course is

excellent.

2) WillowBrook 4 stars. Great public

course and good value

3) Fall Creek Falls 3 1/2 stars. Good Layout

and condition, but no

discount on a replay

(more than 18 holes) so

bring your wallet if

you plan to play 36...

4) Sewanee Golf Club 3 stars. Getting better

with the rain. Greens

are undulating and fun

to play, but will

drive you nuts if your

putting is "off"

5) AEDC Golf Course 3 1/2 stars. Course is

narrow, but fun to

play. Good practice

facilities.

6) Air Castle (Trenton, GA) 3 1/2 stars. Fun Course

and very inexpensive...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pickwick Landing State Park and Ross Creek are two of the best around in West Tennessee!! Also, Pickwick has been chosen as one of the three sites for the TSSAA state championships! It will take the third week in October slot and host the Division II schools this Fall. Next year it will host the A-AA in 2003 and the following year in 2004 the AAA.

Played at Bear Trace (TimsFord) yesterday (before the rains came) and I have to say that the greens are as good as I've ever seen on a public course... And I have been playing for 25+ years all over the Southeast... Fairways are great too...

• 2 weeks later...

I play at Horton pretty often and I'm not very impressed. The greens are way too slow. They have PLENTY of grass on them, I just wish they would cut them down some. The course itself is really good, but the greens need some attention. (2 1/2 stars)

Another public course that I play often is Greystone in Dickson. FANTASTIC!!! This is the best course for public play in Middle Tennessee. If you have never played at Greystone, take a trip. The green fees are a little high, but it's worth it to play there once.

(5 stars)

Old Fort Park is a good golf course also. It is in Murfreesboro. I'm sure everyone knows that since the state tournament is there about every year. Some of the greens are a little goofy, but overall it's a fine course. (3 1/2 stars)

The Golf Club of Tennessee is the second best course overall in the state, behind the Honors. Located in Kingston Springs. It's private, but if you know somebody and can get on, it is awesome. The State Amateur was there last year. The course was absolutely spectacular. Very difficult tee shots along with very difficult approach shots on almost every hole. The par 3's are some of the most challenging in the southeast.

(5 stars)

Cedar Crest in Murfreesboro is a descent course, especially good for beginners. The course itself is young, so there are some bare spots here and there in the fairways and in the rough, but the greens are pretty good. The staff at Cedar Crest are very helpful.

(2 stars)

Indian Hills in Murfreesboro is also a good course. Very challenging par 3's and lots of trouble. Open to the public and competitive green fees make this a good course to play. The greens stay in pretty good shape, and the fairways are mint. The course itself is not all that difficult, but it is worth playing. (3 stars)

I agree that the state has some really good golf courses to offer, but with the budget crisis they may not be around much longer, at least not under the control of the state. We need to make sure we take every opportunity to play these state parks while the prices are competitive and the people are friendly. If we wait too long, they may fall under the control of independent buyers, and the rates will most likely skyrocket.

Guest ChrisLan

Indian Hills in Murfreesboro is in great shape the greens are the quickest I have seen in years on a public course they are rolling smooth too 4 stars

Stones River CC in Murfreesboro is in fantastic shape it is private but if you can get a chance to play it then I would the greens are the fastest around Murfreesboro and role true 4 1/2 stars

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone played in Clarksville and if so what courses do you think are the best? This is out of Swan Lake Municipal, The Clarksville Country Club, and Eastland Greens...Most people think that the Country Club is the best but only a certain few get to play there but usually Swan Lake gets a lot of props..Eastland has a nice neighborhood but it is too expensive for the type golf you get.