Top Linebackers in 1A

BigDogBaller

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've given you all a chance to respond to this thread and so I'm going to tell you who I think is the top linebacker in 1A: Josh Smith out of Temple.

He's averaging over 142 tackles on the year and is one of the hardest hitting LB's in the state. The Chattanooga papers have called him everything from a beast to a bull and a monster. He's a real playmaker. He runs all over the place, he runs to the ball. He's got some size, some production, and he plays quicker than he registers on the clock. He weighs 240 pounds, but is only 6 feet 2. As with every aspect of his game, the keys here are Smith's consistency and continuing progress. He appears to have a great understanding of the game and shows a lot of aggression and passion for what he is doing. I would put him up against anyone in the state.

Jacob Estep is sure not a looser or a glory hound as you put it, he plays hard and just as any kid does likes to see his accomplishments recognized. As for your (LEAK) you are so worried about. Here's a real dam buster

10 Game season stats kept by Tim Chambers Sports writter for the Elizabethton Star Solo Tackles=107 asst.=45 for a total of 152 3 ints. several forced fumbles, fumble recoveries and a sack! NOW LEAK THAT MOLE :thumb:

no one said 34 was a looser seems like a good kid and plays hard how does TC get such good stats watching the games in real time ? dc leak. it should be about team . there are no stats about any other players.

no one said 34 was a looser seems like a good kid and plays hard how does TC get such good stats watching the games in real time ? dc leak. it should be about team . there are no stats about any other players.

I'm sorry, just now got a chance to have a "coffee break." The 'DC' does keep the stats, and uses it to evaluate the preformance of his defense. When someone does not have good stats, he goes to the film to check and see if they were doing other valuable things, like occupying double teams, that do not show up in the stats. He has said as much to the boys, and congratulates the DL for such things in front of the group, recognizing their effort. He has also congratulated the corners for turning plays back towards the middle, another thing that does not show up in the stats. If you went and asked him, he would probably tell you the stats, just as he does anyone who ask, including the players. It is no secret. If you come to the games, you would be able to tell that #34 is making 3 tackles to everyone elses 1 tackle. In fact, you could probably watch the film with him and you could see this. Put to make an issue on this website, when it is a non-issue to the players is rediculous. You are creating animosity in a lockerroom that is as tight as family right now. Sportie Mom said it, they congratulate each other for their play. There is no egos on Unaka's defense, and the 'DC' makes sure of that. He fusses at each kid equally, as well as encourages them equally. If you would ask more players than just your son, you would know that. The 'DC' as you call him, or Coach Smitley, is not stat driven, he is result driven. He will do what is neccesary to get the best results on the field, and ultimately, that is a win. As to you saying Tim Chambers gets his stats from the 'leak', I think you are partially correct. I think if you ask Tim, he will tell you he did not get them for at least half of the games they played. Even if it is wrong to keep up with the stats, it is equally wrong to get on here and put down any individual. These are young men, who are going out there and giving their all. and do not deserve you coming on here and putting them down. If the whole stat thing is negative, what you are doing on here is far worse. If you wanted the truth, you would ask someone else besides your good friend krich (no offense krich). Ask the teams Unaka played who the better of the linebackers were. they are all outstanding kids, and good players, but there are some players who are better than others. Your kid might be better at something else. They all have strengths and weaknesses. And the coaches at Unaka know how to put those kids in position to help the team. Key word being TEAM. Th 'DC" doesn't just keep track of individual stats, he keeps up with defensive team stats. Like it or not, they have come together as a team, and will not let anything, yourself included, dissrupt that. I myself look forward to seeing what this group of LB's can do next year since we get them all back next year. Like it or not, the film never lies. If you want to sit down and watch it with coach smitley, just ask him. Overall, he's a pretty good guy. I'm sure he would love to watch it with you. Until next time, go bump yourself, not all of us can sit in front of a computer all day replying on here.

I'm sorry, just now got a chance to have a "coffee break." The 'DC' does keep the stats, and uses it to evaluate the preformance of his defense. When someone does not have good stats, he goes to the film to check and see if they were doing other valuable things, like occupying double teams, that do not show up in the stats. He has said as much to the boys, and congratulates the DL for such things in front of the group, recognizing their effort. He has also congratulated the corners for turning plays back towards the middle, another thing that does not show up in the stats. If you went and asked him, he would probably tell you the stats, just as he does anyone who ask, including the players. It is no secret. If you come to the games, you would be able to tell that #34 is making 3 tackles to everyone elses 1 tackle. In fact, you could probably watch the film with him and you could see this. Put to make an issue on this website, when it is a non-issue to the players is rediculous. You are creating animosity in a lockerroom that is as tight as family right now. Sportie Mom said it, they congratulate each other for their play. There is no egos on Unaka's defense, and the 'DC' makes sure of that. He fusses at each kid equally, as well as encourages them equally. If you would ask more players than just your son, you would know that. The 'DC' as you call him, or Coach Smitley, is not stat driven, he is result driven. He will do what is neccesary to get the best results on the field, and ultimately, that is a win. As to you saying Tim Chambers gets his stats from the 'leak', I think you are partially correct. I think if you ask Tim, he will tell you he did not get them for at least half of the games they played. Even if it is wrong to keep up with the stats, it is equally wrong to get on here and put down any individual. These are young men, who are going out there and giving their all. and do not deserve you coming on here and putting them down. If the whole stat thing is negative, what you are doing on here is far worse. If you wanted the truth, you would ask someone else besides your good friend krich (no offense krich). Ask the teams Unaka played who the better of the linebackers were. they are all outstanding kids, and good players, but there are some players who are better than others. Your kid might be better at something else. They all have strengths and weaknesses. And the coaches at Unaka know how to put those kids in position to help the team. Key word being TEAM. Th 'DC" doesn't just keep track of individual stats, he keeps up with defensive team stats. Like it or not, they have come together as a team, and will not let anything, yourself included, dissrupt that. I myself look forward to seeing what this group of LB's can do next year since we get them all back next year. Like it or not, the film never lies. If you want to sit down and watch it with coach smitley, just ask him. Overall, he's a pretty good guy. I'm sure he would love to watch it with you. Until next time, go bump yourself, not all of us can sit in front of a computer all day replying on here.

Wow thats one of the longest posts ive ever seen..that must have took your whole break lol... :thumb:

keeping stats for the staff is not a bad thing doing it to put one player in front of another is. sharing stats with players and anyone who asks is bad. watch pro athletes all they think about is stats. The successful teams don't single out anyone they focus on the team. I be T.O. is a stat guy not saying 34 is, but those around him are and thats bad. Saying 34 makes 3-1 tackles hurts your team chemistry that you say I'm hurting. If you haven't noticed I want to see the team put first not any one player. It's you doing that, and that's bad any way you cut it. When you build one player up it usually cuts another one down. You not me are the one doing that. I never said I had a son who plays. Again you are the one who said that. krich or anyone out there be the voice of reason and you tell us who is trying to hurt the team. I am done with this one. It's bball time now. Coffee break till next fall or new thread

keeping stats for the staff is not a bad thing doing it to put one player in front of another is. sharing stats with players and anyone who asks is bad. watch pro athletes all they think about is stats. The successful teams don't single out anyone they focus on the team. I be T.O. is a stat guy not saying 34 is, but those around him are and thats bad. Saying 34 makes 3-1 tackles hurts your team chemistry that you say I'm hurting. If you haven't noticed I want to see the team put first not any one player. It's you doing that, and that's bad any way you cut it. When you build one player up it usually cuts another one down. You not me are the one doing that. I never said I had a son who plays. Again you are the one who said that. krich or anyone out there be the voice of reason and you tell us who is trying to hurt the team. I am done with this one. It's bball time now. Coffee break till next fall or new thread

True, team should (and at Unaka it does) come before one player, but stats should be kept, AND printed... Stats and word of mouth are two real good ways for a college to find out about a player at a small school with not as much media attention, like Unaka... And if you keep stats to yourself, what are you going to tell a college when they ask about how an individual player does? Are you going to tell them " the team did good"...? Colleges aren't going to buy that.

Defenses are built around getting the linebackers into position to tackle. It's what they do best. Estep said as much in the Jeff Birchfield article.

Granted, it was a long time ago, but we simply didn't discuss stats when I played. I remember that we had a good defense, that our linebackers made most of the tackles. Some things never change.

Jacob Estep is a very good linebacker. Like all players, he has some things to work on - Strength, speed, quickness, agility - and he will. Next season, he and the other Unaka linebackers will be stronger, faster, more athletic; Donald Ensor, Ben Smitley and the rest of the Unaka coaching staff will see to it.

For now, and this is to take nothing from any or all the other players, Unaka has a legitimate All-State Candidate. Jacob Estep.

True, team should (and at Unaka it does) come before one player, but stats should be kept, AND printed... Stats and word of mouth are two real good ways for a college to find out about a player at a small school with not as much media attention, like Unaka... And if you keep stats to yourself, what are you going to tell a college when they ask about how an individual player does? Are you going to tell them " the team did good"...? Colleges aren't going to buy that.

you give the stats to the college coaches along with film.i have a feeling that they will grade the film also and if it dosen't add up then all cred is lost with those college coaches and they will think twice before calling again. winning teams get college coaches attention not stats.