7-4A vs 8-4A

The NS coaching staff not only has talked with the HC coaches, they gave them 3 tapes since tape swapping is taboo in the Memphis area. We are doing our part to support the region.

I am thinking about coming up there for this game, but I might wait until the week when HC plays Munford if all teams take care of business. I want to see the game and the battle of the bands.

We certainly appreciate that, too. I heard the East coach was calling coaches in our region asking for tapes. I hope they did not give them to him. Maybe Memphis would learn to play fairly like everybody learned in kindergarten. It would have been really easy for him to get a tape or two. All he had to do was call our head coach (or return a call). He would have been glad to trade. Battle of the bands?

Edited by realredpride

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.......SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE.......There's going to a killing up in Paris and I believe the victum will be East. 35-0

What's so bad is the beating will be worst than the score.

Some more news!!!

Melrose will have to work harder this first round than ever before and the Melrose fans will be getting worried about things to come. The road will not get easier after Hardin Co.

Fairley beats a Brighton team that's struggling to find a win these last 4 weeks.

Munford beats a Raliegh Egypt team with only 2 wins and one of those is against Memphis Northside who hasn't won a game in 3 years!!!

ANYONE SEE IT DIFFERENT?

Probably a poor choice of words but I like your enthusiasm. I can't imagine that the game will be as lopsided as you say. If these posters from Memphis know what they are talking about, and I believe that they do, then we could be in for quite a battle.

We certainly appreciate that, too. I heard the East coach was calling coaches in our region asking for tapes. I hope they did not give them to him. Maybe Memphis would learn to play fairly like everybody learned in kindergarten. It would have been really easy for him to get a tape or two. All he had to do was call our head coach (or return a call). He would have been glad to trade. Battle of the bands?

I am a former coach around these parts and what you describe is frustrating. Those coaches who will not swap think they are outsmarting other coaches and will not change unless they think it is to their advantage. They represent the dirt of the coaching profession. They could do the right thing but CHOOSE not to. Now I do not know if East falls into this catagory but as a former coach, I will make that blanket statement about all of those coaches who refuse to swap or refuse to even acknowledge their fellow coaches when they call to ask about a swap. I always felt that the coaching fraternity was an honorable one but there are always a few ROTTEN apples out there.

For a guy to have not seen either team play, you have a vast amount of knowledge of each team. Your breakdown is as if you have watched each team for ten weeks. Henry County has a good offense and can throw and run the ball with equal effectiveness. The defense is good but not great. The kicking game is pretty solid. What we hear about East is speed, athleticism, a great offense and a lot of quickness on defense. We understand they have improved a lot since the beginning of the season. Henry County has played its best games in the last two weeks of the season. How do you compare East to the Fairley team that came up here last year? What do you hear about the East kicking game?

Red Warrior:

I appologize for the tardiness of my response to your latest queary. I read it a while back but I got sidetracked with something else and I forgot to respond in a timely fashion.

I cannot compare last seasons Fairley team with this season's East team. Although Fairley plays against my Whitehaven team annually (neighboring schools), I did not go to that game last year and I never saw them play. I will say this about last years Fairley team though. Coach Sloughcum is a very good coach. Like most coaches though, if the season does not turn out like expected, you may 'lose' some players to aphathy. Combine that with the youth of last years team, and you see the result. If you saw last years Fairley team, you probably thought that they had the athletes but they just weren't getting their full potential out of them. Last year, orangemoundwest and I were both puzzeled by Fairley's perfomances. That was last year though. Winning changes things.

I also know nothing about East's kicking game. In years past they have had a decent/ok kicking game. I don't believe they will be going for any long FG's though. In the past, they have used their kicking game to kick XP's and kickoffs. Things mave have changed in their kicking game since I last saw them play. I haven't a clue though.

The NS coaching staff not only has talked with the HC coaches, they gave them 3 tapes since tape swapping is taboo in the Memphis area. We are doing our part to support the region.

I am thinking about coming up there for this game, but I might wait until the week when HC plays Munford if all teams take care of business. I want to see the game and the battle of the bands.

Splurge and come to both!! :lol:

Red Warrior:

I appologize for the tardiness of my response to your latest queary. I read it a while back but I got sidetracked with something else and I forgot to respond in a timely fashion.

I cannot compare last seasons Fairley team with this season's East team. Although Fairley plays against my Whitehaven team annually (neighboring schools), I did not go to that game last year and I never saw them play. I will say this about last years Fairley team though. Coach Sloughcum is a very good coach. Like most coaches though, if the season does not turn out like expected, you may 'lose' some players to aphathy. Combine that with the youth of last years team, and you see the result. If you saw last years Fairley team, you probably thought that they had the athletes but they just weren't getting their full potential out of them. Last year, orangemoundwest and I were both puzzeled by Fairley's perfomances. That was last year though. Winning changes things.

I also know nothing about East's kicking game. In years past they have had a decent/ok kicking game. I don't believe they will be going for any long FG's though. In the past, they have used their kicking game to kick XP's and kickoffs. Things mave have changed in their kicking game since I last saw them play. I haven't a clue though.

Thanks for getting back to me. I am impressed with your knowledge of a team that you don't really follow. Henry County has a good team as does East, and I look forward to this game.

Thanks for getting back to me. I am impressed with your knowledge of a team that you don't really follow. Henry County has a good team as does East, and I look forward to this game.

Your welcome Red Warrior:

I, like most of the people who frequent this forum, greatly enjoy high school football. The school that I graduated from in Memphis has a really good following. Not like Melrose, but we put rear ends in the stands at our stadium. When Whitehaven plays Fairely or Melrose, its standing room only on both sides. My school is blessed to have such a following, there are quite a few who don't. Since I follow my school's football program, I also like to be informed on the other schools as well. It has been established with me and my four young sons that daddy is going to take them to some high school football games whenever possible. We will see other teams play besides my Alma Mata. I can be seen at some Melrose games as well. I started following them when Tim Thompson coached them to three straight 3A title games starting in 96. Between following those 2 programs and watching the Bridges Kick-off classic every year, not to mention that the 'game of the week' is shown on cable here in Memphis. I have the chance to see a lot of teams play. This year, I haven't been able to attend as many games as I would have liked.

I think the Henry County/East game will be a very good one. I think you will have a good time at this one.

I heard HC coach received some tape from Ridgeway and NS. All they had to do was call him as well. He is willing to trade tapes with anyone. I asked him about any phone calls. He said he has received none from HC. So lets not act like it is just going one way here.

don't act like this si the first time this has ever happened...usually when coaches trade films (especially around playoff time) they trade films with their opponents and their opponents region teams to get an extra edge...it happens all the time. get over it.

Edited by rhsplaya55

I am a former coach around these parts and what you describe is frustrating. Those coaches who will not swap think they are outsmarting other coaches and will not change unless they think it is to their advantage. They represent the dirt of the coaching profession. They could do the right thing but CHOOSE not to. Now I do not know if East falls into this catagory but as a former coach, I will make that blanket statement about all of those coaches who refuse to swap or refuse to even acknowledge their fellow coaches when they call to ask about a swap. I always felt that the coaching fraternity was an honorable one but there are always a few ROTTEN apples out there.

Red Warrior,

It disturbs me that someone would make this accusation with just hearing one side. I asked him about this today. He says that no one has ever called him to swap except for Kingsbury. He knows in the past that teams refused to swap, so he figured getting some tape would be impossible. It has been according to him. He did say that he did not call them (HC). Also, he says that the coaches (from HC) were taking pictures or video taping at his Mitchell game. So, he figured they weren't going to trade either. Maybe both sides are going off assumptions.

Man..you really need to go into the ministry! I coached for 17 years and for l3 of those years I had no problem exchanging tapes. In the last 4 years however I ran into all kind of problems. Some tapes I received were of the previous year, some were filmed up so close you couldn't even make any formations or defenses out and a number of them quite often would have scoring plays taken (edited) out. It got to the point that people would not swap tape with us and would rely on coaches (friends) in other schools to supply them with tape on our team. Also, I learned these people catalogued tape and supplied tape to a number of our opponents that we were to meet in the playoffs and again we could not get any tape. For these reasons I quit swapping with anyone. I simply sent out junior high coaches to do all our scouting. I refused for our team to be at any disadvantage because people would not cooperate in film exchange. If that made me a bad guy, so be it. As for your blanket assessment that anyone that would not swap tapes is some type of renegade in the coaching ranks is absurd. You know, if this is such a huge concern, it would be a simple matter to resolve. Have each district or the tssaa for that matter make it mandatory that the last two or three films be exchanged. That settles the entire matter. In the meantime, consider be a little less selfriteous

I heard HC coach received some tape from Ridgeway and NS. All they had to do was call him as well. He is willing to trade tapes with anyone. I asked him about any phone calls. He said he has received none from HC. So lets not act like it is just going one way here.

Ridgeway has not played East in two years,what good would those tapes be?I would think with the coaching change alot has changed from two years ago.